ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 on eaton charger?

Monaco blue 172
Anybody used an eaton charger on. 172/182. Do people stick mainly to rotrax because of space issues?

If charging best with an aftermarket ecu or is a standard ecu more than upto it?

Do people have the inlets welded up where the map and intake temp sensors are? And have them bolted on due to the inlet being under positive pressure?

Thanks for any helpful input chaos. :cool:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Anybody used an eaton charger on. 172/182. Do people stick mainly to rotrax because of space issues?

Not just space, the eatons if you go for the M45 arent really upto delivering enough boost at high rpm where these engines need the help, a centrifugal charger suits them a lot better.
You will end up with too much boost in the midrange for the standard CR and not enough at high rpm.

If charging best with an aftermarket ecu or is a standard ecu more than upto it?
Aftermarket, to get the standard one PROPERLY mapped would cost more than going aftermarket anyway.

Do people have the inlets welded up where the map and intake temp sensors are? And have them bolted on due to the inlet being under positive pressure?
Its not a lot of positive pressure so most people dont do so.

Monaco blue 172
Spot on was hoping for a reply off you chip! Has one been done on an eaton that you know of?

It was the m45 that I was weighing up from a. Cooper S

Megasquirt was the ecu I've been offered with a new fresh loom but read mixed reviews on the as apparently there only as good as the guy who assembled it? Some people having issues with them some love them and say there user friendly.

Monaco blue 172
I'm not after a monster power car either, maybe 230 horse or there abouts not looking for massive figures.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Spot on was hoping for a reply off you chip! Has one been done on an eaton that you know of?

I dont know personally of an F4R on an M45 mate no.

It was the m45 that I was weighing up from a. Cooper S
If you do go for one then make sure its a later one, there were some revisions to them and the later ones can handle a few more rpm.

Megasquirt was the ecu I've been offered with a new fresh loom but read mixed reviews on the as apparently there only as good as the guy who assembled it? Some people having issues with them some love them and say there user friendly.
Megasquirt if properly built works really well, I hate the printer port connector for the wiring loom though, I dont view it as an automotive grade connector although that said I had one on my corsa for years with no issues.
The mapping software for it (if you pay for the full tuner studio version) is among the best mapping software there is IMHO, it makes even expensive ECU's look cheap in most areas.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm not after a monster power car either, maybe 230 horse or there abouts not looking for massive figures.

You'll definately want a later charger then, the early ones arent reliable at that level.

I really think you will physically struggle to fit it in the bay though.

Monaco blue 172
Right Okee dokey, do you know what the differences were with the later chargers at all?

Do you think it's. Visible thing to be done? Would like to keep standard compression ratio is possible as I don't want to start big bills for building a forged motor, silly clutches etc etc... Just slightly more poke.

Megasquirt sounds ok then, 200 quid with a fresh loom sound on the money? Would happily pay for the full version, the guy who I'd choose to map it is familiar with mega squirt as his Zetec turbo runs it. You may know him he's a polish lad off passionford called rik? Just done a friends edition30 is a real boffin!

Monaco blue 172
Yeah i appreciate that mate I'm weighing everything up at the minute hoping to get a scrap charger to get it in and mock something up. Move the Cooling fan off the rear of the rad onto the front for a slimline jobbie and have another alt bracket to chop the bottom off and see where we can mount it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Right Okee dokey, do you know what the differences were with the later chargers at all?

I cant remember the details off hand TBH mate they arent something Ive had a lot to do with personally, can just remember a friend of mine who has mentioned about it, I can find out, but I'd worry about fitting it in the hole first!

Do you think it's. Visible thing to be done?

If you lose the PAS and Aircon then maybe but its going to be a pain still I suspect.

Would like to keep standard compression ratio is possible as I don't want to start big bills for building a forged motor, silly clutches etc etc... Just slightly more poke.

Seeing as you will be doing the belt kits both while you are there anyway, for not much over 100 quid extra at that point you may as well get an MWMsport gasket (3mm IIRC) and lower your CR anyway, or even a megane one just to drop it a bit.

Megasquirt sounds ok then, 200 quid with a fresh loom sound on the money? Would happily pay for the full version, the guy who I'd choose to map it is familiar with mega squirt as his Zetec turbo runs it. You may know him he's a polish lad off passionford called rik? Just done a friends edition30 is a real boffin!

Yeah I know rik really well, very very clever guy (and his mrs is totally epic, she can properly pedal and looks like a model) get him to supply you an ECU, it will be spot on then and also you have one single person to point the finger at rather than the building blaming the mapper and vice versa.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not been done but I'm sure some1 was on about doing it late last year

People are always on about doing it to every type car on every forum I see TBH mate, for the simple reason they think they can get a charger for 100 quid and they are nearly done, then when they realise how involved it actually is to try and repackage something like that into an existing engine bay, they tend to give up, lol

The vauxhall lads tend to be the most committed, Ive got a Mk4 Astra on Omex to map with one in a few weeks when the lad has finished tidying a few bits and bobs up:
DSCF1088.jpg

Full thread here:
http://www.obsessiveperformancedisorder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17611

And one lad with a 2 litre nova did it by going up, it ended up above the bonnet, lol

24933_404946903618_688718618_490163.jpg

Monaco blue 172
Right sweet didn't know about the gaskets available! Sounds good that not as issue to whip the head off belts were done 16 months ago but I'm doing them too myself for peace of mind.

Thatd the main issue at the minute fitting it in the hole I'll have a good bash over the next 4 weeks or so need to find one first want a fucked one really just incase it's not visible then just chuck in the bin and truck on na.

Cheers for the input mate! Much appreciated.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you had asked last week I could have taken some pics of one in the bay for you as I have one and my turbo looked like this:
F4292E81-9F36-4086-9942-ADDFF7C27381-1747-000001507C859AB1.jpg

But its got all the aux setup etc back on now as I left Danlp6 near the car unattended for not much more than a few minutes and whenever I do that stuff just seems to get fitted to it at a frankly alarming rate, lol

Monaco blue 172
Love your turbo one mate. I just want more poke being honest id love a megane r26. But the way the clip feels and drives its just missing a bit of poke, so wanna see how I can do it for under 2k. Never had a charged car either something to tick off the list.

Space and strain on the crank from memory are the problems.

Some lad called Jake on here was trying to do it, said he was going to fit it the day after CSS last year but still nothing.

Theres also a mk1 track car on here that was trying to use an eaton, id love to see the results if someone did it

Some lad called Jake on here was trying to do it, said he was going to fit it the day after CSS last year but still nothing.
that's the 1 i was on about just couldn't think of his name, spoke to him about it at CSS and he was going to do it with a clutch charger so he could have lower fuel consumption when steady away and then for the charger to kick in when he wanted to go for it, was needing and ECU that could handle two seperate maps iirc.

He was going to do it with his RS2 also in place

Thats the one. Jake S or something, last i heard he was selling it.

Think the mk1 with the 172 engine in belonged to Danny someone, that is a much more promising hope for someone managing to do it!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Theres also a mk1 track car on here that was trying to use an eaton, id love to see the results if someone did it

Strain on the crank is certainly an issue as the pulley isn't keyed as standard.

That supercharged mk1 was at Llandow, it went quite well.

Tbh the eaton charger is a much better match for a 1.8 valver motor than a 172 one.

iceberg 172
People are always on about doing it to every type car on every forum I see TBH mate, for the simple reason they think they can get a charger for 100 quid and they are nearly done, then when they realise how involved it actually is to try and repackage something like that into an existing engine bay, they tend to give up, lol

The vauxhall lads tend to be the most committed, Ive got a Mk4 Astra on Omex to map with one in a few weeks when the lad has finished tidying a few bits and bobs up:
DSCF1088.jpg

Full thread here:
http://www.obsessiveperformancedisorder.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17611

And one lad with a 2 litre nova did it by going up, it ended up above the bonnet, lol

24933_404946903618_688718618_490163.jpg
Saw this at pv look awsome

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Iirc the last 172 I had apart had the keyway in the pulley and crank anyway it was just missing the actual woodruff key. Not sure if that's the case with all or not though as this one may have been changed.

But its got all the aux setup etc back on now as I left Danlp6 near the car unattended for not much more than a few minutes and whenever I do that stuff just seems to get fitted to it at a frankly alarming rate, lol

That's why I can do a drive in drive out change on a cup in 6 hours ;)
I can't even remember what you were doing.

Mind you, Russ made a similar mistake when he went in to sell a car and I had his car practically completely built up on ITB's lol.