ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 oil leak from rocket cover plenum area noticeable worse during hard track driving

03 clio sport asc
Hi Guys

Wondering if any one has any ideas about this, my car for years now sometimes leaks a bit of oil from either the plenum or from the rocker cover. i dont think its the hose that connects to the air intake as I have replaced that with a silicon hose, I am thinking it is either the oil sensor on top of the rocker cover or where the plenum sits on top of the engine.

If has only ever been a couple of drops that roll off and burn off on the exhaust but yesterday at a Sandown Trackday if got a little worse and I could smell it burning on the exhaust.

Any ideas

03 clio sport asc
Re: 172 oil leak from rocket cover plenum area noticeable worse during hard track dri

sounds very likely now that you say that, any idea on how to fix the issue? is there a gasket on there that might need replacing or just tighten it up? does any one know the torque settings ?

Cheers, also found lots of brake fluid around the reservoir which i hear is quite normal. has any one found a solution to this? one that doesnt involve glad rap!

Re: 172 oil leak from rocket cover plenum area noticeable worse during hard track dri

Is the oil on the rocker cover on the drivers side - if so it'll be the oil seal around the VVT trigger.
Mines gone and it leaks when I give it a bit of boot

I've ordered a new oil seal from Renault - only about £6 IIRC

03 clio sport asc

defiantly more noticeable on the drivers side, is the VVT trigger sitting on top of the rocker cover? I always thought that was a oil sensor!

Nah that's the VVC trigger

You have to take the top inlet off to get to it - then it's just a 10mm bolt holding it in
O-ring seal is about £6+vat from Renault

Definitely that if it's on that side - mine was leaking loads

Evo 8 MR

If you remove the breather plate to check the gasket be very careful bolting it back down as the bolts are really soft.

Zetec YO!!!!!

I've ordered a new oil seal from Renault - only about £6 IIRC

Do you have the part number handy for one of these? Mines leaky aswell, I thought it's something i was gonna have to live with.

03 clio sport asc

I tried dealing with Renault parts australia but they are under the impression there is no gasket required under the breather plate. They suggest Gasket Goo. A fellow member of the AU forums posted this part number:[FONT='Lucida Grande', 'Trebuchet MS', Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] #8200 106 895. After calling renault they have no idea what the part number is besides saying its a gasket and its $175AU
[/FONT]
Can you guys check if this is the correct part number and let me know how much is costs buying it locally.

03 clio sport asc
Re: 172 oil leak from rocket cover plenum area / breather plate

ScreenHunter_01Mar211242.gif

ScreenHunter_02Mar211243.gif

03 clio sport asc

reading the above to me says there is no gasket correct?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

from the factory there is a gasket. It costs over £70 for a new one on its own, and they usually leak. Use silicon sealer.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member

Cheap job danny? Will probably be coming to you for this and an oil change soon.

Feel free to fire me a pm with the price for an oil change and to do that oil leak fix ;). cheers.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

Doesn't take too long. Half hour and a bit of sealer. Feel free to call. Don't do PM's

<<< Look, it says so there

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member

Lol okay matey knew that was coming :rasp:.

Shall call you within the next week.

03 clio sport asc

hey Danny, as I'm in australia I cant make it to you. Would you suggest just cleaning up the area and applying a sealant under and on top of the original gasket ?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

throw the gasket away, just use sealer

There was no gasket on mine from the factory - or on the 182 I was working on
Both just had some instant gasket applied to them

03 clio sport asc

WOW - What a drama, after taking the intake manifold off i was greeted with a sorry sight! - 7 out of 8 bolts that hold the breather plate down were sheered off! only 1 remained - No wonder it started leaking a lot worse.

Scariest part I found a couple of the bolt heads resting where the intake meets the head.

Now this defiantly wasnt like this last time I checked under there a couple of months ago and I have never touched any of those bolts.

I think this all happened on the last track day at Sandown - Jumping off Apex's and getting major wheel spin.

Ezy out worked well and I replaced all the bolts so no harm done but wow the word Cheese comes to mind!