ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 not confidence inspiring in the snow

Clio 197
First bit of snow was on the ground yesterday and to be honest i am not inspired with confidence the way it drives it the snow, i understand no car is going to be great but the little clio spins up at the slightest chance - my OH Alfa 147 is much more planted.

Is this becasue of the lack of weight & extra power in the clio?

Would winter tyres make a massive improvement ? (i realise its not going to be night/day difference becase we have snow involved here)

I was spoilt the year before last as i had a scooby so that used to power through the snow!

VaVa
Relatively wide wheels and light weight. It's never going to be brilliant. That said, I've never found it too bad - It's not like there's a big dollop of torque at low revs.

Audi A3
i had a 106 gti a few years back, so a similar weight/power scenario, and that was alright. not had the snow to find out what the clio is like

only way of improving id imagine is snow tyres

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i bought a 182 for the winter this year, the z4 doesnt go anywhere so im miles better in the clio

Lotus Elise
Winter tyres are night and day better in cold and snowy conditions when compared to summer tyres.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Not tried the 182 but my 1.2 wasn't really too bad. Your only option for improvement is obviously winter tyres.

Also arent the cups without esp?Sadly its just a case of taking you time and gentle accelaration i guess

i found esp caused me more problems last year especialy going up hills so whilst we had the snow i turned it off and took it steady and was fine.

cups are with out abs so you just slide when you brake, plus try to use the gears more than the brakes;)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I also havent tried the 182 in snow yet, but my 1.2 has Toyo T1R's on them and it used to be brilliant in the snow! Used to see other cars geting stuck half way up a hill and my clio would go up it fine. You do need to be gentle on the power thought (obviously).

350z, Subaru Legacy
My parents 1.2 Clio that I was using in the snow last winter was much better than the 182, I put it down to tyre width.

titanium 182
My cup just locks up in the snow even with just minimal braking, its pretty dangerous tbh with all the hills on my way to work!! My saxo was definatly easyer to drive in bad weather. Snow tyres WILL make it much better, (thats what there for afterall!!)

Clio 182
I've got uniroyal rainsport 2 tyres on my 182. Last year in the snow it was actually really good, I managed to climb a pretty steep hill to go snowboarding where most other cars couldn't. This year I've bought some snow socks as these have really good reviews and aren't half as expensive as snow tyres. No snow yet though :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
rainsports are better than most normal road tyres as the dispersion grooves run right to the outside which really helps, where as on something like say a t1r which at first glance is a similar pattern you'll notice that the groves get much narrower towards the outside, this is to prolong tyre life at the shoulders when cornering, but it greatly effects their performance compared to the rs2 in poor conditions.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've had Toyo T1-R's on my 172 and they are superb in all weather conditions. I've just put winter tyres on the car and they are really good. They're quite big tyres though, 205/40x17. I've got a set of Toyo R1-R's now for summer use and track days on 15" OZ rims but they're a bit tricky for this time of year with snow, ice and standing water.
It definitely makes a difference what sort of tyres are on the car this time of year if driving on ice and snow. But really you need to take it easy if its freezing. I've had the taxi sliding a few times on black ice and thats got Continental 8 ply van tyres on it.
If the steering feels as if its going light then lift off gently and don't brake, just steer the car into the skid if it starts to slide. also known as opposite lock. Usually that will stop the skid from getting any worse.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I ran T1R's all last winter in the snow on my coilovered mk1. probably the least traction issues from any car I've driven in the snow. Being light was a huge advantage, I'n not looking forward to the 850 in the snow at all

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Peugeot 106 diesel on skinny budget tires. No power, torque, rubbish brakes and shopping car suspension setup. Works brilliantly in the snow. The clio is the total opposite and so needs a lot of care to make decent progress on loose or slippery surfaces. Winter tyres do exactly what they say on the tin but are expensive if you don't get any snow one year.

Or you could enjoy the lack of traction and go nuts. That's what i did in my works van last year. I didn't do a three point turn for almost 6 weeks :)

Just watched that video. I wished i'd filmed my works van! An HDI berlingo can be fun!!