ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 noise? Rattle

172cup
Hi guys

Wonder if anyone can help me out here, got an 03 172 full fat and some funny noises have started!

1. Rattle in drivers door/seat belt pillar, anyone had this prob and know how to cure?

2. Squeaky rattle, which heard for first time today in car park. Sounds like a noise coming from compression of some kind. Can really hear it over bumps.

My guess for 2 is that it maybe the exhaust as its done 29k and aint been replaced yet.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Once french cars hit 3 years old, this is what happens

172cup
Had a 1.2 16v and never had no probs with that apart from ecu!! Ha ha. Just been out with girlfriends dad and we've found out rattle in dood it's the trim on the outside of the door near the 2.0 16v sign. Think it needs a new clip or new trim.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well i had a similar squeeky type rattle which i found was the ECU bracket which had snapped and was grinding against the metal below it so may be worth a check.

Other than that i'd just check all the usual Clio faults...exhaust, heat shields, strut top mounts, engine mounts etc!

Good luck!

172cup
Great!! On a long drive tomorrow aswell and I know it will drive me crazy!
Checked heat shield and exhaust - gooing to look at engine mounts at weekend if it doesn't stop.

silver cup packed FF 182
just turn your radio up and jobs a good'un once you know a rattles there you just forget about it after a while anyway!

1. Rattle in drivers door/seat belt pillar, anyone had this prob and know how to cure?

2. Squeaky rattle, which heard for first time today in car park. Sounds like a noise coming from compression of some kind. Can really hear it over bumps.
1) Broken clip in the door card or check for loose bolts in the seats.
2) Could be the the tensioners there usless. They need doing at 36k which isn't far off. Also might be the charcole canister.

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
My car makes a squeak when in full left lock and reversing - sounds like the strut or something, anyone know what this could be? I am having the gearbox mount changed - is this the same as the lower engine mount?

172cup
Mine seems to be loose trim on the outside.

Had the172 up on the ramp this morning checking engine mounts and suspension and can not for the love of god recreate the noise.

Looking at exhaust and mine looks in really good condition for 29k so pretty chuffed - just touched wood as it will probably drop off on long drive today! Edinburgh - Glasgow - Newcastle

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
My car makes a squeak when in full left lock and reversing - sounds like the strut or something, anyone know what this could be? I am having the gearbox mount changed - is this the same as the lower engine mount?

Its probably the strut top mounts. Mine made the same noise so got Renault to check it out. Turns out its a common fault so they have a remedy procedure to cure it.

172cup
Been out and checked car again as squeak is happening more, reckon at moment it is coming from rear suspension beam. Possibly the bushes?

172 2002
well seriously
mine is a cup on a 53 plate... rattle is on passenger side and mainly when car is cold...I suspect it's since my bf took the whole of the dashboard to reset the steering wheel stalk for the stereo (is this right? sorry am French!) but can't bang on it or I'll have the airbag coming on (I know I just need to switch the airbag off..)

DAMN IT IS SO ANNOYING THOUGH