ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 mk2 mods?

I have £2000 spare and wanted some help making a decision.

Should I...

A: spend all the money making my Clio faster

(possibly sports cat, remap, inlet and cams) £2000

B: spend part of the money making my Clio faster

(possibly sports cat, reno sport ecu thingy, inlet) £800

C: spend none of the money making my Clio faster

If I spend £2000 on my Clio I wont get it back in cash but (car wont go up in value) will i get it back in fun? I have a feeling I could spend £2000 and have lots of fun in other ways.

Are coilovers that good, I thought my Clio handled quite good as standard? :eek:

Is it worth doing the suspension rather than the engine? also I dont want a harsh ride or it to look modded.

The Maxogen seems quite expensive for an induction kit :S and from searching the forum doesnt warrant the money for the gains although, I do like the look of it! I was looking at induction kits a bit back and decided on a Panel filter.

Clio 172 mk2
Just do the usual, decent air filter, good exhaust with sports cat and ecu re-map.

Then do brakes suspension.

Slippery slope this modifying business and after each upgrade you'll always find yourself wanting more till it gets to the point when you realise it was probably best to buy a new car!

You could just sack the car off and go on a f**king massive holiday

GuyS said:
leda coilovers, ITG maxogen and inlet mod ;)

or go on holiday.

What he said^^ although maybe inlet mod and remap.

And yes a set of ledas setup properly transforms the handling and as a bonus it looks better.

option B

any more and IMO it's wasted, unless you're going to have the car for 5 years + which many people don't

Clio 172
I'll take it off your hands and do option A on my 172. You can have a go after the works complete. Seriously, if you want more fun out of your car then making it faster is the only option. I can't wait to have that 5000rpm kick all the way from 2500rpm. Send your car off to GDI/AW - you know it makes sense.:cool:

Clio 172
No one spends money on their car expecing it back - infact, there aren't many things you can buy that actually gain in value. If you love you car and driving then you'll be happy to spend money on it to get more out of it whether your thing is speed or looks - it's like any hobby. :)

Thanks for the feedback guys! I feel my self sort of leaning towards option B but im also interested in some coilovers aswell! (although I could lean towards A).

Few questions about coilovers...

a: are coil overs height adjustable?
b: if coilovers are not height adjustable what drop are they?
c: which ones would people recomend?
d: What prices are they?

Cheers

:sleepy:

193 mk2
do, inlet £180 benr, second hand magnex £200 forum, de-cat £130, ik £200-340, smt6 £500 gdi, fk coilovers £435 europerformance, ferodo ds2500 front pads £85 & goodridge s/s brakelines £50 fred & you'll still have a couple of hundred left from your 2k to get them all fitted. results = a 190ish bhp car that looks, sounds & handles wicked + its like having a new beast, that eats other cars for fun lol. oh & coilovers are height adjustable 0-70mm average & more doe gets you damper adjustability too (not really needed), recomended ones are fk, h&r & leda. h&r are very good & in the midle price wise around £700 mark. hope this helps

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
EVOgone said:
Trade it in for a 182 and get some Ledas.

Anything else is a waste of money.

182 extra hp plus more potential..

Newer car (warrenty)

more money back when you sell..

Just egt Leda's and some DS2500 pads and exhaust.......on your new 182

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
182's arent exactly faster... and you'd be paying more than £2000 for a trade-in and coilovers.

EVOgone, you might get more money back when you sell the 182, but its a false economy with the money you paid for it in the first place.

best thing you can do is suspension work, its the best improvement for the money, easily.

but surely the depreciation on the 182 will be higher than the 172 :S

so, the initial hit of extra cost, coupled with the extra % depreciation on top of the leda's, i'd say the 182 is a bigger waste of money

doesn't make economic sense to me, keep the 172 H&R's and it will be pretty much 'just as good' at the 182 on Leda's (very close to, just not quite as good)

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
spend it all on the car!, start with the suspension as its the best value for money mod, usual suspects for all the work ; GDI/AWT, Hillpower, Mark Fish.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
depends what you want really....

most people that have work done enjoy it..... thats the whole point.

so if you facny going faster, getting better acceleration and smoother drive then go for engine mods....

if you want to go round corners and throw the car about more....then go for suspension

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
i'm selling GAZ 2130 reg if you are interested, PM me. PS, i'd go for some engine mods and / or coilovers.

clio-lane said:
No one spends money on their car expecing it back - infact, there aren't many things you can buy that actually gain in value. If you love you car and driving then you'll be happy to spend money on it to get more out of it whether your thing is speed or looks - it's like any hobby. :)

someone who speaks sense!

I have spent a far bit on mine and do not think any of its a waste of money. If you have the money and enjoy fast cars why not.

193 mk2
too true me old china, also if your getting bored of your car it can give it a new refreshing lease of life!!!