ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 feeling slow ?

TTRS & V50
Right, at the bodyshop i work at we derliver and collect customers cars.

On i regular basis i get to do this as a driver.

Last week i derlived an Ford Focus St-2 3door.

It was a 20mile drive and get to basically test drive them you could say, but not so to speak.

Anyway this car is rapid, and i absolutly loved it, it sounds good when you accelerate and the turning is great, it looks good, its comfortable in the leather recaro's. Basically want to get one on finance instantly.

Anyway we picked another one up today, but this time my colleague picked it up, he said exactly the same and wants one too.

Just looked at the figures and its 6.6 0-60, and my 172 is supposedly 7.0 ?

This is a 0.4 difference which isnt much at all, but when i get in my 172 it feels shite on the revs and doesnt feel that quick, compared to the ST.

Anyone else feeling this ?

Its a lot quicked than my old vtr, but just seems so dead for power tbqf.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The curse of the Turbo. Because of the big dollup of Torque they deliver, they feel faster, but in reality are not.

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
ST sound great,-- V5. but like gaz said, they feel faster than they are going. a 1#2 kept on the boil is same ish

TTRS & V50
But it doesnt even feel closely matched, i got in mine at the end of the day, (cold engine) and just felt dead in the gutter.

185lb/ft dCi
its all about the turbo mate, my dci feels just as quick as a 172 just because the power is immediately there once i drop my foot, once the revs start going up though... :eek: you get the drift

rps13
think of the money you would spend buying it though, is it really worth it??

you could have far less heartache

for £1500 you could have a gdi cam package, hit 190bhp, or have loads more low down torque(428's) and feel just as fast, if not faster than the st.

think you're hankering after a turbo though!!!

TTRS & V50
Its maybe because when the engine is cold i dont go above 3k revs, so is that why its so sluggish, you have to thrape it to have speed :O

Because dont get me wrong in the summer when i first got it i was like fook me this is quick, hmmm.

think of the money you would spend buying it though, is it really worth it??

you could have far less heartache

for £1500 you could have a gdi cam package, hit 190bhp, or have loads more low down torque(428's) and feel just as fast, if not faster than the st.

think you're hankering after a turbo though!!!

f**k spending 1.5k on a clio, when i come to sell i aint gonna see any of that back.

Im also wanting a vxr astra, same boat at the st though.

Most ill do is inlets and exhuast and remap, but even that will be tickling a 1k.

320d
No way that Focus St's do 30mpg. Around london evo's range rover TDV8 got 19mpg and his wifes St got 14mpg. They're shocking on fuel mate, megane is a better choice tbh.

Turbo's do feel fast because of the loads of torque, hence why diesels feel fast because they're realy torqey but when you realy go for it there isnt much else left in them, with exception with BMW dervs such as the *23d *30d and *35d, audi and merc do quick diesels aswell.

And if you think the 172 feels slow drive my car. Its what your used to though, F1 cars probably feel slow to lewis hamilton etc.

Yup, i felt a similar thing when i drove my mate's Golf GTI with DSG.

The super smooth delivery throughout the rev range makes these turbo hatches feel effortlessly quick.

We both went on a trackday later, and on straights he was pretty much same as me in my 197 cup when i expected him to walkaway, but come corners i absolutely mullered him. though thats probably because of my amazin skillz rather than the car.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
ST's are heavy and drink the fuel.My mate has one but i doubt as said they return 14mpg.Thats aston and lambo figures