ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cups... Common as Saxo’s

Sorry mate, Im gonna have to disagree.

I see more Saxos than Cups...

Theres not a day when I dont see a Saxo, See no more than a few cups a week, and theyre probably the same ones I see all the time.

I see more cups than normal 172s (possibly the colour catches my eye, but I tend to notice a 172 with the heat reflecting windscreen, wide arches, xenons etc)

How much are/were the vtr/vts?

VTR is £9995 new and VTS is £11995 new. But i think production stopped this month due to the appaling C2 going on sale.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

There have been approx 30,000 VTR/VTS Saxos sold in the UK (let alone all the 1.1s, 1.4s, etc...) and only a few hundred Cups have been produced, so the numbers aint even close!

You must just be lucky and have a high concentration of Cups! ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Dave Cli02 on 08 October 2003

Blimey, I havnt seen one Cup on the road yet here in Lancashire! :eek:
Where abouts in Lancashire are you from???

Ive got an 03 Cup and Im from the Nelson/Burnley area, Chris (aka chris n nic) is from the Blackburn area and he has a Cup too, plus there are a couple of others about here...

There is about 4 diff 172s i have seen and 2 cups around here and more VTSs than that! so they are not that common...especially the cups!

But i am happy with the more raw power i have from my car

Well i live in Northants and have seen 3 Cups, 4 172s

I wouldnt say that common would you? As for Saxos, theyre everywhere.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Paul_CTR on 08 October 2003

There must be at least 2/3000 Cuos knocking about by now I would think!
Nowhere near that amount...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

We can always ask Jeremy then we know for sure...

There must be a LOT of 172s about then if there are so many Cups then!

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

No arguement there, but Id guess that the Cup outsells the 172 by a fair margin now.

E36 323i coupe

Well, I thought the Cup was a limited edition - only making a few hundred... but I have seen three in the Hull/Beverley/Willerby area since I ordered mine, which is a bit pants, cos I thought it was exclusive. However, mine will be the only 53 one, I think.

But mate?!? Cups as common as Saxos... I dont think so, 3 as opposed to 300. Theres millions of the sh*tty little things around... as someone else said, mainly driven by little wannabe wide-boy tw*ts in adidas trackies, and white baseball caps. I mean I always liked the 106, and since its the same car, why didnt they use a 106 dash. Top Gear calls the 206cc and the Daihatsu Copen the gayest cars in the world ever.... I think the Saxo should rival them for top spot. Thats my opinion anyway.

Quote: Originally posted by Jon1978 on 08 October 2003

I ordered mine, which is a bit pants, cos I thought it was exclusive. However, mine will be the only 53 one, I think.
LOL what does that matter? If you want to stand out get a decent plate like a J? CUP or something (250£)

this makes me chuckle

you are comparing citroens best ever selling car with one specific variation of one model

not very comparative, i see as many clios as i do saxos in day to day life, in fact, if anything, i see more clios as all the saxos are being crashed and written off

Ive only ever seen one cup and that was at a dealers!! Saxos are the clit of the car world...... every c*nt has one!!

Quote: Originally posted by bambam on 09 October 2003

this makes me chuckle

you are comparing citroens best ever selling car with one specific variation of one model

not very comparative, i see as many clios as i do saxos in day to day life, in fact, if anything, i see more clios as all the saxos are being crashed and written off
Remember that the Saxo has been out a lot longer than the 172. When I had my VTS it was too expensive for all the burberry guys but as they get older they are cheaper to buy meaning they are affordable to these people. In a few years it will be exactly the same for the 172 as most of the younger guys I talk to that drive a VTS/VTR would love to have a 172/Cup but cant afford it yet.

Anyway, the Saxo VTS/VTR pretty much restarted the hot-hatch genre again after the manufacturers were scared off during the early 90s. Would Renault have invested in the 172/Cup without seeing that the market was there from the success of the Saxo?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

The 306 GTi-6 was actually the car that sparked off the current hot hatch trend again apparently...

Way back in 1996 now!

VaVa

I havent seen one cup on the road. But then again I very rarely travel far. The only one Ive seen was parked in my work carpark.

However, there are FOUR saxos in my road alone!!! three VTRubbish and one VTsh*te. Like dog sh*t I tell thee, fookin everywhere!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Gav76 on 09 October 2003

Anyway, the Saxo VTS/VTR pretty much restarted the hot-hatch genre again after the manufacturers were scared off during the early 90s. Would Renault have invested in the 172/Cup without seeing that the market was there from the success of the Saxo?
Kind of agree, but Id respectfully suggest that the VTR actually re-opened the XR2/3i warm hatch, mass sales market. There is always a market for homologation specials and hard core hot hatches.

Remember that Renault were pretty much the only manufacturer importing a hard-core hot hatch with the Clio 16V in the early-to-mid 1990s. The 205 GTi was unreplaced, Citroen didnt make hot hatches anyway and the RS Fords were gone... so Renault released the Clio 16V and Williams! Just read some period reviews and youll see that they were considered as the beasts of the market in 1993. The Willy got a lot of attention: a 150bhp Group A/N homologation special back then was like a mega-hatch with 250bhp in todays market.

I see more Cups than I see 16Vs, but theyre hardly a common car!