ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup won't start

Help, I can't get my 172 Cup to start after being parked outside for 5 days :(

When I turn the key, absolutely nothing happens except a clicking noise from the front passenger footwell.

The immobiliser light (red dot between the stop and the service light) is flashing when i get in the car, it glow red when I turn the ignition on and then goes completely out.

Changed the battery, it's made no difference. Can't see any problems with the fuses either. I can lock and unlock the car at will, no problems there

Any ideas?

Dan

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Could be the starter motor is sticking, give it a bash with a mallet(rubber hammer) should release it, then try again.

Weird ... breakdown man comes out, tries to start it, nowlt happens. Shines his torch around a bit, tries it again ... it starts. Looks at me totally mystified, but it's up and running. We turn it on and off a few times, it seems fine. Hoooray ... but WTF?

The only thing he did different to me was leave the ignition on for ages, couple of minutes while he was looking round, rather than turn it off.

Could be the starter motor is sticking, give it a bash with a mallet

Yeah me and the breakdown man thought that might be it. But we found out that you can't get at the starter, it's down the back of the engine near the exhaust manifold, and covered up with a shield. Thanks anyhow.

I've told the fella to sell his hands on eBay cos he's clearly got a magic touch lol

Dan

Maybe but I think the immobiliser was OK, as described at the start of the thread the immob light was going out after a few seconds.

I was reading around the forum a bit whilst I waited for Mr Breakdownman, from what I can gather it would seem like the starter motor is dying

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Yeah me and the breakdown man thought that might be it. But we found out that you can't get at the starter, it's down the back of the engine near the exhaust manifold, and covered up with a shield. Thanks anyhow.

I've told the fella to sell his hands on eBay cos he's clearly got a magic touch lol

Dan

Ye i kno were it is that why i mentioned smacking it, theres a gap enough big between manifold tubes 2-3. i dont have a heatsheild on mine at the mo but when it got stuck i just smacked it and its been fine.

Just keep a eye on it, make sure the battery is chargin enough aswell or immob light wont let it start.

Thanks folks, yes I totally agree, sticking starter. Basically it won't start at all now, but it will start after you rock the car when it is in gear

Can't wait to stall it at the traffic lights ...