ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup tyre choice/pressure

Laguna sport tourer
As some of you may know i bought a 172 cup a couple of weeks back.
The only thing that is bothering me (apart from the dephaser needing repalcement) is the instability at speed which is alot worse in the wet the car has yokohama s-drive's all round, all have good tread running 33psi front and 30psi back.

was just wondering what tyres people recommend and what pressures? im guessing the s drives are not up to much.

just to add I have changed both rear shocks and the fronts seem fine.

thanks for reading James

Laguna sport tourer
What do you mean by instability at speed ?

Have you had the geo checked ?

33/30 is about right for pressures.
all i've had done is the tracking as the place I normally go to can't do camber at the moment.
the back seems fine just the front seems a bit 'wondery' at speed.
tyre wear on the front is fairly even so don't think the camber is out

197 FF Glacier White
Might just be tired shocks, and most likely the rears. S-drives are good Tyres, all down to opinion of course but I have them on the back of mine at the moment and they are fine, wet or dry. Does it pull to the left or right on hard acceleration? If so the most likely cause is wishbones, if it's just generally wandering and the pressures are good and the Tyres undamaged I'd be looking at tracking.

G

Laguna sport tourer
Might just be tired shocks, and most likely the rears. S-drives are good Tyres, all down to opinion of course but I have them on the back of mine at the moment and they are fine, wet or dry. Does it pull to the left or right on hard acceleration? If so the most likely cause is wishbones, if it's just generally wandering and the pressures are good and the Tyres undamaged I'd be looking at tracking.

G
just replaced both rear shocks. I will check the wishbones tomorrow as it does pull under hard acceleration

172 Cup
Put some conti contact sport's on (the original tyre's renault put on the cup from new) one of the best things ive done to mine ;)

172DD Cup
my instability at speed (lightness on the front, wandering) was caused by unevenly worn tyres on the front. you couldn't see the uneven wear, but when i put the rears on the front the problem went away :)

RS 182 CUP
what tyre size you going for? 1954516? or 2054516? or even 2054016? i got yoko paradas on mine, lots n lots of grip, i rate them highly and i sell tyres for a living so i know a thing or two

Fiesta ST
my instability at speed (lightness on the front, wandering) was caused by unevenly worn tyres on the front. you couldn't see the uneven wear, but when i put the rears on the front the problem went away :)

This ^^ swapped mine around and haven't had the problem since.

RS 182 CUP
but you do trust your doctor, dont you?! paradas are a little soft but if you want longevity then get michelins, im not nocking contis though good enough, you do know conti sport fives are out dont you?

535d / t5 caravelle
mmmmmmmm, i find with tyres what one person likes another may hate, depends on what you want from the car and how you drive it.

RS 182 CUP
very true, to be honest its all trial and error with your own car, all i can do is vouch for the better ones.

Laguna sport tourer
umm may try swapping front to rear and see what happens. oh and im running 195 45 r16 (i.e standard size for a cup)

Not that Ive tried anything else as they have been on since I bought it approx 2 months ago, but I have Toyo Proxes all round and they seem great!

172 cup
I find the s-drives are pretty good in the wet, although I run higher pressures than recommended- 35 & 32... As said, it's trial and error with tyres.