ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup - Starting Problem!

RB 182
Can anyone help?
I got into my car this morning and the first two times the engine started but cut out after about 2 seconds, the third attempt I gave it a few more revs and got it running...Light came on OIL OK, so never really worried about it.
Anyway, I got out at the shop around the corner (luckily) and when I got back in the engine wouldn't start, the ignition turned but the engine doesn't fire...after about 5-6 attempts to get it started the ignition doesn't tick over, it makes that harsh noise so I stopped at that point.

I had a similar issue a couple of months back with my old Jetta which turned out to be the starter motor. Is this the most likely cause and it access okay?
Im thinking get a reading off the battery first to make sure its got plenty of charge...Is there anything else I could do to rule out certain problems?

Thanks in advance

Sounds like either an immobiliser issue (starting and cutting out) crank sensor (not
Recognising the engine is turning) or If its not turning over atall then potentially battery

RB 182
Bit of an update...

Got home last night and checked the battery, 12.6v then tried to start it and guess what, it started first time! Checked the battery again whilst running and 14.2v so I'm guessing I can rule the battery out. I took it out for a spin to see how it went and everything is fine.
Got in the car for work this morning and it started first time, when I got to work I stopped the car and started it a further two time with no issues.

Obviously this is quite a funny thing to happen so will have to see how it goes for now. Im thinking I might check the spade connectors on the starter motor and give them a clean, Im sure it wont harm to check anyway.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Mine did this last night too, had done maybe 4 miles in central London to a garage. I filled up, jumped back in, and it just turned over without firing.

I took the key out of the barrel, gave it 5 seconds, and it then started on the third crank as it usually does.

There wasn't much time between me opening the doors and trying to start though, but that doesn't sound very similar to your issue.

14.2v is just the alternator charge. however, if the battery has only dropped to 12.4 over night its not a bad one. there can be dodgy cells/plates breaking up which can cause abnormal voltage drops.

obviously check the battery, then the fuses!! when its cold the inside's of the fuses just crumble like mine did..
get some easy start and spray that into the plastic part before thwe throttle bodie and see if that starts it, cos its might be mis firing and need just some spark plugs :)
not good at cars but is what I done and mines now running :D

Mec 350 slk manual
Mine did that one day it would start ok the next day I would just turn over and not fire up turned out to be the tdc

RB 182
Latest Update!
Well after having no more serious issues for a couple of weeks I thought it was fine with just the odd occasion not starting first time until the last couple of days, So I bought myself the uprated TDC sensor and fitted it today...got back in the car and it wouldn't start. I remembered watching a vid on youtube about starting the car after fitting and how the immobiliser light should go out after 3 seconds, well mine didn't! It seems a bit of a funny problem if its an intermittent immobiliser issue. Anyway, thanks to SEAN6545's comments on a previous thread I tried his proposal and it started the car! Described below...

Try turning ignition on for a minute, then off, lock the doors, unlock the doors, open then close the drivers door and try to start it then.

Is this a temporary remedy or has this reset some kind of setting in the key/car?