ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup PAS fix/removal

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I know theres loads of threads on here about the removal but im hungover and cant be bothered reading rakes of s**t.

Went to pick the car up from my cousins earlier, it was parked half up on a pavement, when I reversed off the wheel slid off the kerb and there was a bang. drove for about 5mins, parked up for a couple hours, then drove home another 5mins and on the way home the steering started making a noise.

Stopped at home and the power steering fluid is everywhere so im guessing ive nipped a pipe when I came off the kerb and then its burst completely when I was driving.

Whats my best options? in simple terms please as im not a mechanic :s

Wouldn't mind removing it if it gives a bit more power but If its easy to sort ill just sort it.

Cheers

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
also, are the 172 cups the same as the other 172/182s?
looking on ebay just now theres a whole pipe setup for 50 quid off a 182, will that fit a cup?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Cup pipe work is specific to the cup unless you've got a cc equipped cup.

You could always buy a shorter belt and bypass the pump. I *think* you can do this and leave the pump in situ, but I'm not 100% certain.

Don't drive it with the belt turning the pump as it'll seize up and make the aux belt walk towards the cambelt. We all know the outcome of this.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ahright.. just a normal cup so ill need the proper pipes then.

Guess thatll be the car parked up for a few weeks then :/

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
bumping this..
im still struggling with this.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the pipe? Need to get it off as early as possible tomorrow to see if I can get it repaired

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I need to remove the pipe running from the pump to the... steering rack I assume? fitting on the pump end of the pipe is ruined so need the pipe off to get it replaced

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I need to remove the pipe running from the pump to the... steering rack I assume? fitting on the pump end of the pipe is ruined so need the pipe off to get it replaced
Well to get the pipe out in one piece is quite simply, a f**king mission.
For the ruined fitting, you need mole grips/vice grips. Get them nice and tight and it should move.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
aye ive got the fitting out of the pump but ive snapped it off the pipe so need the pipe out now :l

do I need to take anything else off/out to get it out?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
aye ive got the fitting out of the pump but ive snapped it off the pipe so need the pipe out now :l

do I need to take anything else off/out to get it out?
I'm struggling to get a mental image of which part your on about mate. Can you upload a pic?
There's a few brackets here and there that hold it in place and it also passes under the gearbox mount from memory. It's just generally an awkward t**t to get out.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Have to use my phone to upload these.

That's where it was lose and I couldn't tighten it, it was proper solid. tried today and when I went to tighten it, it gave way and because of the force it bent the pipe and the pipe broke so I'm left with broken end of the pipe.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1584760560933561505.jpg
    Snapchat-1584760560933561505.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Snapchat-3386712053663037192.jpg
    Snapchat-3386712053663037192.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 125

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Have to use my phone to upload these.

That's where it was lose and I couldn't tighten it, it was proper solid. tried today and when I went to tighten it, it gave way and because of the force it bent the pipe and the pipe broke so I'm left with broken end of the pipe.
Well you might be lucky enough to get a compression fitting on the remaining steel pipe, but not 100% on that. Might be worth calling pirtek to see if someone will come out and repair it on the drive rather than have to rave it all out.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
The pipes can be a c*nt Liam, I ended up cutting mine at the rack end to get a socket over it!

I just ripped the lot out and made a simple L shaped bracket to support the alternator. It then runs a shorter aux belt which you can buy online.

After that you can go EPAS if you wanted.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
My brothers boss is a plant mechanic, he's going to have a look at the pipe for me tomorrow and make up a small pipe to join it all together but I need the pipe out to take to his workshop.
Ideally need the car tomorrow to save me getting the train to work for the week again and being stuck in the flat at nights with no transport :(

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
The pipes can be a c*nt Liam, I ended up cutting mine at the rack end to get a socket over it!

I just ripped the lot out and made a simple L shaped bracket to support the alternator. It then runs a shorter aux belt which you can buy online.

After that you can go EPAS if you wanted.

So you've done away with the pump and pipework, using a shorter belt but still using the standard rack?

So you've done away with the pump and pipework, using a shorter belt but still using the standard rack?

Ye like most people running epas or like me just manual.

If you run the shorter belt I showed you you can just remove the pump, all the pipe work and reservoir and look the two chamber of the rack to allow some fluid to transfer between

Ye like most people running epas or like me just manual.

If you run the shorter belt I showed you you can just remove the pump, all the pipe work and reservoir and look the two chamber of the rack to allow some fluid to transfer between

Also you don't need need to make a bracket, you can do it on the set up you have without the steering pump

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member

Yeah standard rack. However I didn't like it manual as it felt very unresponsive when you turned the wheel so I got a Saxo pas pump that sits in the scuttle and runs off just power no belt. It's also just 2 rubber hoses that run down the back of the engine nice and clean.

As Fraser said you don't have to make the bracket but the original cup set up is big and quite heavy so I just simplified it.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Sorry im a total dick when it comes to mechanics.

What would I need to do to remove the pump and just run it on the standard rack, and do you guys know if I can get that belt in Halfords or the likes?

cheers

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry im a total dick when it comes to mechanics.

What would I need to do to remove the pump and just run it on the standard rack, and do you guys know if I can get that belt in Halfords or the likes?

cheers

You'd need a shorter belt to compinsate for the removal of the pump. The part number for the belt is '5PK 847'. It's a Volvo belt I think I got mine off EBay.

You then need to loop the middle part of your rack, I'm sure I have the loop in my garage somewhere or you can get someone to make it easy enough. Also Plug the 4 holes on the rack at the drivers side.

Its all fairly easy and gets rid of a lot of sh*t in the bay!

Cup In bits
Liam I might have a new (to you) pipe down at coney hatch you could have for a small fee during the week, I could check tomorrow.

Worst case you just need a flexi hose with two compression fittings on it, cut your existing pipe at the best spot nearest the pump (with it in situ) and cut the end off of my pipe and just tighten the compression fittings up.

Voila problem solved at a fraction of the cost and no hassle at all.