ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172, cup or not?

Pug 306 D-Turbo
hellos, newbie here.

I'm looking at getting a Clio 172

not sure if to go for a cup version, or the stock one.

the car will be my daily driver so things like ABS and sound proofing, which I hear the cup does not have would be nice.

I will be keeping the car stock, or close to stock, once I find a good one, see 3 horrors so far.

advice ?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I'd get a 172.

The cup is a bit lighter etc.. but at the end of the day you can pick up a tidy 172 example cheaper then a cup, and there's nothing in it (in terms of pace)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Cup for me, look the best out of all MK2 RS Clios. Mines getting there, slowly :)

RS 172 cup
172 cup all day long, i own a 172 cup and my mate owns a 172, believe me the cup drives and handles much better

Evo 8 MR
I've never driven a normal 172 but by christ I was shocked at the difference in handling coming from a non sport. Men and boys tbh.

Pug 306 D-Turbo
The budget is upto £3500, 4000 at a push.

I will keeping the car for 4 years, provided I don't do somthing daft like becoming a dad

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
For a daily driver get a 172 because it has half leather interior, aircon with climate control, xenon lights and later ones have cruise control.

Astra VXR ex 172 owner
i had a 172 for 3 years couldnt fault it and u dont lose all that much performance/handling jus lower the 172 plus u get all the toys that u will wish u had if u get a cup! oh that wee clio looks great with the xenons wish i had them in my cup if ya get wat i mean :p

best bet is probably in spending a little time reading up on the differences in spec (don't forget the Ph1 172), then, if that hasn't already given a good idea of which you might prefer, drive a few examples of each

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I personally think the 172 is the better option. The Cup interior is foul and cheap and going from a FF spec to a Cup spec I do miss the auto lights, xenon and tinted windscreen. You can easily fit cup options to a 172 but getting new interior seats, xenons (Legally) can be costly and difficult. I also think the lack of ABS is a mistake. People say you don't need it but I think that's rubbish. Overstep the mark, hit mud/ice etc at speed and unless you're a fighter pilot ploughing on the brakes and locking up you will not be able to correct the situation. ABS isn't particuarly heavy so it's a bizzare item to leave out. The difference in weight is mainly due to alloys, air con, seats and heavier spare.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
What's been wrong with the 3 you've seen mate??From op would also say regular 172 is the car for you...

Evo 8 MR
It's swings and roundabouts I'm afraid, it comes down to personal preference, how can you miss something you've never had?

Personally I value the standard features of a cup more than any aircon or automatic wipers gimmicks.

Pug 306 D-Turbo
What's been wrong with the 3 you've seen mate??From op would also say regular 172 is the car for you...

car 1 looked like it had been rally-crossed, bonnet stone chipped like a 300k mile rep mobile, 2 holes in windscreen (and I mean holes abouy 2mm across straight through), oil felt tacky, tops on the front suspension units in the engine bay where not facing the same way, a really rough looking car.

car 2, needed 2 new tires due to rips in sideways (straight mot fail), dealer was not willing to replace then, drivers seat rocked back and forwards 4 inches like a rocking chair, again dealer cba.

car 3 horrible set of cheapo 17's and bonnet pins that had been attached with self tapping short wood screws.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
You're not too far from the NW massive why not come to a NW meet and have a look at some of the owners cars, it may help you form an opinion and see a good condition car.

Are you driving it or living in it?

Cup every time, I look out the windscreen when I drive not at the door cards :p

MCS R56
There is nothing luxurious about the 172 in any form, so buy the Cup. Get a BMW if you want luxury. (or similar)

f**k abs. For gays!

MCS R56
There is nothing luxurious about the 172 in any form, so buy the Cup. Get a BMW if you want luxury. (or similar)

f**k abs. For gays!

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
I personally like my Leather/Alcantara interior, Xenon Headlights and Climate control so the choice was easy for me.

180.5 bhp 172
I was in your position in November, and I went for a 172 over the cup.

I sat in a 172, then a cup, and the cup felt so much cheaper.
It had the same seats and heater dials etc that my 1.2 had! F**k all interior upgrade if you ask me!!

The seats, lights, wipers, c/c etc are all really nice touches which you will miss in the cup.

Dont forget, with the cup, your paying more......for less......;)

Clio 172 cup
Hi

First post..lol

I have just bought a cup and at my grand old age of 45 I have owned a good few "quick" cars and I have to say that this little Clio has blown me away..

Owned it for 5 days now and every time I drive the car feels great, it's quick and handles really well.

I would have gone for the 172 with the leather but there was not one around at the time that I fancied

I'm sure you will love either..

172 cup 10/04/10>
a decent enough driver doesnt need abs imo! if ur skidding on ice etc(when abs is proven to make snow driving terrible) if your skidding round with no abs, simple, your driving is too much for conditions!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Cough...yes. Removing it today. Would still have bought it without. Choosing the 172 over the Cup because of abs is gay.

Why is it gay?

What is it with Cup owners that make them think they are part of an elite few because there car has no ABS?

Who gives a s**t?

"It puts hairs on your chest" i heard someone say a few months back, sorry but thats laugable.

All Renault Sport Clios are the same pace bar the V6's thats the bottom line, no two are built the same some are quicker than others but it will ultimatley boil down to whose the better driver.

If you think the Cup is special then thats your call, but calling someone a homosexual because your car has ABS is a bit of a sweeping statement.

This comment isnt aimed at you Gaz its just what i think everytime the Cup heros come a shouting

Golf GTD Mk7
Cup for me. I could live with the interior and other bits. Plus it is the quickest clio due to it being over 100kg lighter. So better economy and performance as standard.

BG 182
at the end of the day though its same pace but around twisties i believe the cup is tighter had both cars an cup for me rawness is for me:rasp: