ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup - Noisy Tickover

Clio 200 Cup
My 172 Cup has done 27k miles and has been serviced according to the book.

I have noticed that after a run when the engine is idling there is an intermittient mechanical rattle - its not ded loud, its almost like a tappet noise. I had the cambelt changed two weeks ago but the rattle was there before that.

Im a reasonably competent mechanic so I can usually identify a "noise" and either fix it or not worry - this just seems a bit "intermittent" for my liking.

Do all 172's sound a tiny bit rattly on tickover? As I said, its not a persistent rattle and it only happens at tickover when the engine is hot.

help! Im making myself worry now :(

A4 Avant
Mine had a persistent rattle, worse when cold. It turned out to be the cam pully. Luckily for me I managed to get it sorted when I had the Cambelt done.

Clio 200 Cup
Nice one, cheers for the advice!

Whats the carbon filter for? Im guessing its emissions related - will removing it create any MOT issues?

It filters the fuel vapours when the car is stopped so you dont burn hydro carbons on start up.

Removing it will probably bring on the toxic emission light though. Unless you follow that guide.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Mine had a persistent rattle, worse when cold. It turned out to be the cam pully. Luckily for me I managed to get it sorted when I had the Cambelt done.

dephaser pulley! i have changed a few of these! did d.browns cup off here, that sounded awful on tickover!

Mines off, havnt noticed a difference either way to be honest just let the fuel vapour vent and block it at the plenum. You have to just leave the solenoid plugged in otherwise it will throw up the light. £44 seems alot