ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup - Noise when idling

C

Cupster

Nice one, saw this post and thought wonder if this will be the noise that I get! Feckin sweet as.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
gt_gaz said:
how freaky was this, never had this noise..... untill today :mad: , exactly that, tap tap tap, rev it, then it clears for abit, then comes back..... sounds awful inside the car, reminded me of my punto gt, they used to have a charcoal cannister in the wing for fuel vapers, sounded the same. its so strange i've not heard it, or hasn't done it before..... is not cold weather related is it?

i've had me cambelt done a month ago, with all tentioners + belts

bloody hell i even said this on the first page!!!

I'll have a look at mine too. Thanks for the info.

Any chance of a pic to show where the canister is for us car maintentance novices? :)

any photos of the location of this charcoal cannister?? cant find it..

edit//. already been asked. lol

BMW M3
Really Chuffed !! Thanks TVO. Ive mentioned it to 2 dealers and they hadnt got a clue and couldnt find the noise lol....

Sounds like you dealers are not too bad..

*Goes to find something rubber*

Justin182 said:
Really Chuffed !! Thanks TVO. Ive mentioned it to 2 dealers and they hadnt got a clue and couldnt find the noise lol....

Sounds like you dealers are not too bad..

*Goes to find something rubber*

open your wardrobe mate and cut a chunk out ya gimp suit :clown:

been out n had a look at my car.. cant find anything behind the headlight apart from the cannister bit on the air con (i think) pipe work?? but that doesnt look like it has wires connected to it and it doesnt make any clicking vibrations.

stumped..

BMW M3
GuyS said:
open your wardrobe mate and cut a chunk out ya gimp suit :clown:

been out n had a look at my car.. cant find anything behind the headlight apart from the cannister bit on the air con (i think) pipe work?? but that doesnt look like it has wires connected to it and it doesnt make any clicking vibrations.

stumped..

Lol... No gimp suit i'm affraid, but do have a pile of squash balls!!

Think TVO is taking a pic so we should be able to see where this thing is.

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
I'll get some pics, but you'll have to bare with me, I work in an office 9-7 and I only get daylight on weekends.

Will post pics as soon as possible :)

172cup/BMW 320 coupe
took this from renaultsport.co.uk
the problem, where the noise was coming from and how it has now been reduced.

Below and slightly back from the front headlight is the Charcoal Canister, this is made from plastic and on the 172's the housing is metal which joins to the body of the car. As part of the Charcoal canister their is a solenoid (bit like a fuel injection solenoid) which opens and closes to release gases. As this opens and closes it sends the vibrations through the canister, through the metal bracket and onto the body of the car, hence the tick, tick, tick noise. This solenoid releases gases at a certain rate and for a certain time (would explain why it can be heard for a time and then stops).

The 182's have a plastic housing which will reduce the noise as the plastic being.

The solenoid makes this noise all the time (releasing gases at certain times) but cannot be heard when driving. is not faulty, it is not doing any damage, it is simply how it has been made.

to make it more quiet on ur 172 u can get it replaced with a plastic 182 one or put a rubber washer? inbetween where it joins the car!

hope it makes sence and helps.

i just turn the sterio up and it goes away! lol

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
davo172cup said:
took this from renaultsport.co.uk
[/size]

to make it more quiet on ur 172 u can get it replaced with a plastic 182 one or put a rubber washer? inbetween where it joins the car!

hope it makes sence and helps.

i just turn the sterio up and it goes away! lol

Lol, that's the post I put on renaultsport, I copied my post directly from here, it's on the previous page :)

Norris_309 said:
I'm might see if the dealer will sort this under warranty .. save me the trouble :)

me too.. its in on monday for its 24k so going to try and get them to do it..

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
The idea of putting the rubber as a sandwich was the mechanics idea and not in the 'reanult rules' of doing things (if you know what i mean). If they say they've never heard of it just tell them it has been done elsewhere and has been effective. Dealer was Walker Renault in Stourbridge if that helps :)

172cup/BMW 320 coupe
sorry tvo didnt read the other pages, saw the title and realised id seen the same on renaultsport site. u been on renaultsport long?

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
davo172cup said:
sorry tvo didnt read the other pages, saw the title and realised id seen the same on renaultsport site. u been on renaultsport long?

No worries mate. I only joined renaultsport at the beginning of this year :)

they cannister is under the front drivers arch you can get to it by just removing this.mine has been making this noise now for about 4k,it also does it when the engine is switched of for about 45 seconds.my engine management light is on presumably as a result.
replaced the valve and no difference.
i wouldn't say it's normal as i've never heard it before. its only meant to come on when the engine is warmed up and under full load.for me it must be a wiring or a ecu problem but it's definetly not normal.
i think you could be right about the alternator bearings to but the noise is different i have that problem too!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Its freaky how everytime i have a worry about my car, a post appears on here about the very same thing!
Well now thats eased my mind somewhat.

Still no closer to finding out what my knocking/clunking noise is when going over harsh bumps or round bumpy corners.....any ideas?

Driving me nuts!

my dealer wouldnt do it..
they first told me they had done it.. took it back in and they said renault wont give them permission to do it unless its an approved fix..

not sure f that tapping is my noise though as mine NEVER does it when switching the engine off!

CLIO 172
Mine does this too.

What i've noticed tho is when the car is sat idling the ticking noise only starts once I have turned my heaters off. If I then leave the car to tick (no pun intended) over for about 45 secs it dissapears and doesnt come back unless I put the heaters on then turn them off again!

I have had this problem now for about 40000 miles. Its caused no problem.
If its doing your head in, buy a sound system and crank it up.

clio 172
the noise you are all describing is the charcoal cannister, which helps to get rid of fuel vapours when the car is idling the ticking is actually the cannister vibrating if you rev the engine it will vibrate faster then the noise will go away for a few seconds. they get louder as the car gets older, ive heard they are easy to change and cheap to!!
do a search on here about charcoal cannisters and your will tick tick problem will be answered !!

Mondeo TDCI 130
yep, charcoal canister, we replaced GTgaz's last weekend, £45 job done! took half an hour to change if that!