ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup dead brake pedal travel

mgt

172 cup
Can anyone help me shed some light on this annoying issue?

Picked up a 172 cup this weekend which has got a lot of dead travel in the brake pedal...about an inch or so before anything starts to happen.

Initially thought this would be due to air in the lines, bled the system thoroughly this morning with ATE super blue, but to no avail.

I have tried the haynes suggested check for master cylinder failure - pumping the pedal until hard and then starting the car to check the pedal drops - and it seemed fine.

Would sticking/seized calipers cause a problem like this?

Any help/thoughts welcomed!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Could possibly do and is not an uncommen fault..... Could try some Braided Lines if not already on.

This could be normal and the travel is simply the rear brake compensator reducing the rear brake effort as it is supposed to do. Are you familiar with cup's braking setup?

Do the brakes work normally apart from this i.e. they stop you normally?

mgt

172 cup
Braided lines already fitted...

The brakes are definitely not as sharp as they should be, it is not possible to lock the wheels - even when using considerable pedal pressure.

Is it worth running some more fluid through with a pressurised bleeding kit instead of the 2 man method?

clio cup 172
have a look if the slider pins are sezied. i greased mine up was shocked at difference.

make sure you use copper grease or it will burn off

Black 197
Maybe needs new discs ? Mine are fubared but will replace this month, I cant lock my wheels but they do stop good at normal speeds, Defo my discs though as have 42k on them lol