ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup clutch issues

SiH

172 Cup/E46 330i/RX7
Can someone sanity check my diagnosis please, before I shell out a wadge of cash I don't need to...
I have a 172 cup on 72k - a while ago it started monkeying about and crunching all the gears, as if the clutch didn't fully disengage. I reset the pedal adjustment and it worked OK.

Started doing it again last week, so I've just replaced the clutch adjuster mech - and it still does the same - however, sometimes when I dip the clutch it feels like it's actually not releasing at all.

I'm thinking either the release bearing or the clutch itself. Before I bit the bullet, is there anything else it could be that doesn't involve taking the box off?

FWIW, it makes a bit of a racket on idle until you dip the clutch, which I guess points even more to a 'you need to get the box off' thing.

And finally, anyone recommend anywhere close to Stratford Upon Avon to do a clutch?
Cheers
Si

SiH

172 Cup/E46 330i/RX7
As in - new box? At a couple of hundred for an unproven second hand box, or quite a bit more for a rebuild of mine, I'm not sure it's something I need to do to be honest. This feels very much like the 'bit between the box and engine', rather than the box itself.

mk1 Octavia VRS
FWIW, it makes a bit of a racket on idle until you dip the clutch, which I guess points even more to a 'you need to get the box off' thing.
With the clutch engaged in that situation it will be spinning the input shaft on the gearbox - if it doesn't make any noise when the clutch is disengaged then to my mind that would point at there being something wrong with the gearbox.

Does sound like an issue with the box, these boxes are made of cheese.

Speak to Martin at Agency, a refub might be less than you think.

SiH

172 Cup/E46 330i/RX7
With the clutch engaged in that situation it will be spinning the input shaft on the gearbox - if it doesn't make any noise when the clutch is disengaged then to my mind that would point at there being something wrong with the gearbox.
Yup, I'd always had it down as input/layshaft rather than release bearing. However, it seems more than a coincidence in this case.
I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and book it in for a clutch.

Mini 182 - I think I looked at that when it first did it, and it was around £400 or so.

SiH

172 Cup/E46 330i/RX7
Well, its with the gent that is Fred at BTM now, he's going to split it down and see what the score is. Shat out completely on the way yo his, and arrived via RAC. Makes a pretty horrible graunchy noise when much power is put through it and gives no drive, so concerns are it may be the diff.

FF Clio 182
My gearbox was crunching. I changed the clutch and has been fine since. Due to the clutch being fully worn It wasn't disengaging properly

Release bearing can stick on the input shaft . I changed my heavy old clutch with a valeo and can press my new clutch down with 1finger .

FF Clio 182
Release bearing can stick on the input shaft . I changed my heavy old clutch with a valeo and can press my new clutch down with 1finger .

My Valeo unit wasn't as heavy as the standard unit I removed. Was weird at first as you didn't have to press so hard but now it's nicer driving in traffic

172 Cup
Mine was also making creaking sounds when idling, soon as the clutch pedal was pressed the creaking stopped.

You'll find it is the clutch release bearing on its way out! Had mine done last week by Andy Greer at clioturbo and it is fine since.