ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup advice

172 Cup
I will hopefully be looking at a 172 Cup tomorrow, is there anything i need to look out for? Its a 03 plate with 39k on it.
Thanks in advance
Matt

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Clunking from top mounts, excessive engine movement (mounts!), belts changed!

Also check the ECU is original!

You'll be branded a pikey.

No matter how much you convince yourself you've got a 'drivers' car. Its still a clio and you'll still have a sweaty baw sac when its 30c outside and you dont have A/C.

Bar that, remember to check the belts have been done.

172 Cup
Thanks for that.

A pikey? Why?

Only going to be used as a weekend car and used on the odd track day.

Are all them bits listed liable to wear at only 39k then?

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5

No matter how much you convince yourself you've got a 'drivers' car. Its still a clio and you'll still have a sweaty baw sac when its 30c outside and you dont have A/C.

Bar that, remember to check the belts have been done.

Thanks for that.

A pikey? Why?

Only going to be used as a weekend car and used on the odd track day.

Are all them bits listed liable to wear at only 39k then?

Dont listen to him mate lol, yeah wear and tear @ 39k on a cup us the norm! Every 1 of them has been ragged!

172 Cup
lol, no worries, will check everything listed tomorrow, was a woman who answered the phone so im guessing it was the owner, so hopefully been well looked after :D

Will post up here how i get on!

P.S. Thanks for the advice

S3, Polo

Can of worms...

To my mind, as an outsider, it seems that most 172 owners want the Cup's look and handling. Hardly a pikey car if the 'aspirational' 172 is lacking so many of the upgraded components and the more hardcore look?

Check:

engine and exhaust mounts
back box
history
belts done
steering wheel melting
brakes/ rear wheel bearings
check car engages all gears smoothly - if not, could be engine mounts

pretty much it...

172 Cup
Thanks for that.

Would rather have the Cup over a normal one, 182s im not keen on the rear and i cant justify spending my savings on a 197 just for weekends.

So the Cup seems the best option in my opinion!

I just want something fun and exciting for the weekends, had a standard vtr for nearly 3 years now and even though its still fun to chuck about it needs a little more power!

impreza sti prodrive
im in same boat but looking at an 03 with 60k instead for weekends etc. just trying to get a decient insurance quote to start. i wana pay monthly but all come in over a grand, id rather have a limited milage policy.

172 Cup
A quote for me is just under £1k with 6000 annual miles, Im 22 with 1 year no claims, no insurance claims but have got 3 points!

Got that through moneysupermarket.com

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
check for mayo under the oil filler cap!

What?

Headgaskets aint a common problem on the F4R.............?

I'd be looking at

Bumper stickers

bumpersticker.jpg

Very common for them to be missing, which could indicate respray replacement bumper..... also check for stickers fixed to the black grill under the bonnet (near the slam panel), missing indicates replacement grill. Also..... check the roof at the top of the A pillar, if there is a dent, its had a smack at the front end..........

Also missing locking wheel nuts/Alarm indicates an Imported car, but these tend to be regular 172's

Last edited: