ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 clio will crank but not fire

clio 172 sport
Basically it will start no problem and all and run as it should, but at random times it will just crank for a few seconds, but won't fire up. Keep trying and does the same everytime i turn the key, until i'm fed up! lock the car and try again and it will start? this has happened twice this week only had it 3 weeks :( i have read a lot about crank sensor which is bolted to the engine under the airbox, but it seems to me like an immobiliser fault as it happens at random times, has a mind of its own.

Also whenever ive been trying to start it for a while, i hear what sounds like relays clicking under the glovebox & sometimes on the driver side near the vent. I have put a new battery in the fob and put a new crank sensor in

Help! :)

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
If it's the immobiliser, the immobiliser light will stay solid red.

If it's the crank sensor then stopping and immediately retrying starting generally works.

clio 172 sport
Crank sensors rarely show a fault. Have a look and see if the crank sensor is blue or black. Renault revised the design and changed it to blue due to this issue.
hi the one i took off had a black plug and replaced it with a black plug type. I will wiggle the plug the next time it happens, though it happens randomly. I will also keep an eye on the immob light.

Thanks for the help people.

Megane r26
See if you are getting an A/C current from the crank sensor.

But strange how it starts when you lock/unlock does sound as if it could be an immobiliser issue :s

clio 172 sport
See if you are getting an A/C current from the crank sensor.

But strange how it starts when you lock/unlock does sound as if it could be an immobiliser issue :s
Will check it with help of my dad tomorrow. Well it's done it again today and locking and unlocking didnt help.
Noticed the immobiliser was flashing fast and if i turned the key to ignition for 30 seconds and then tried cranking, nothing would happen.