ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 AST Coilovers

Clio RS 172
I am building a 172 race car here in Tasmania. I was going to get the GAZ gold coilovers until I started reading the threads here saying they were not much good. The consensus seemed to be ASTs. But where is the best/cheapest place to get them from? I found these for 1350 plus the dreaded plus whatever it takes to ship them to the bottom of the world! http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=113911

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, any racers should I stick with the 15" wheels or move to 16"? common sense tells me 16 but I thought I had best ask.

Dealt with balance, he's a decent bloke ...got AST sportline II's, worth every penny imo.

Think there are only certain dealers now, cooksport on here being one. Don't think you'll get much cheaper than £1350 though.

15" are lighter, and provide a better range of cheaper tyres, perfomance over 16" is subjective and ultimately up to the driver. Though you should notice the "better" difference when driving on 15"s. I did and had not been doing this long when I switched.

nikstar

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
That £1350 is ex VAT, Cooksport are the people to speak too, I will be ordering sportline 2s very soon!

Clio RS 172
Thanks Guys
I have sent Cook Sport 2 emails over the week with no reply.
Anywhere else I can order them from?

Clio RS 172
Pick up the phone? 01173012542 is the cooksport number. Or is this another case of 'phone phobia'.

Surprisingly we do have phones down here. Its just a little awkward time wise-its 9am here. Besides I find most businesses are quite happy to respond to email enquiries.

Clio RS 172
I know they are pretty busy at the moment testing for this weekends racing.

I will give it the weekend and then pick up the dreaded phone and call them. I want to use these guys as I am sure they can help me with spring rates- set up etc.

nikstar

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I left message today not herd back yet but i dont mind! Spoke to Josh a few weeks ago, really nice guy very helpful. After talking with Josh i will be ordering Sportline 2s as soon as possible from Cooksport. I know there quite busy but i dont think yeu could buy suspension from a more experienced place. After all Josh races ;)

Clio RS 172
So, I called Cooksport and spoke to some teenager who couldn't get me off the phone quick enough (Ironic, as I was the one paying a dollar a minute) and was promised a response...and got none.
So then I called kamracing, initially it looked good, I was told to send them an email and they would reply with their bank details for the deposit of money. I sent it and got no response, so I called them again, I got some tard who I am not completely sure was speaking English! It may have been some b*stadisation of txt speak, but it has left me uneasy sending them my money, besides I still have nor received their bank details.
I thought things were tough with the credit crunch and wotnot but I think the whole recession may be down to incompetence.
I want some coilovers! Does anyone want my money?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Have you contacted the Australian AST importer? Surely they can just order in the relevant strut casings or even machine you a set up in Clio fitment for you?

Clio RS 172
Have you contacted the Australian AST importer? Surely they can just order in the relevant strut casings or even machine you a set up in Clio fitment for you?

I am going to give them a go, but I think they are going to be pricey. THX

Cup In bits
Just buy them off the website and enter your address, if they can't or need to do anything special to send them out I'm pretty sure they will get in contact.

Clio RS 172
After my frustration of trying to deal with Cook Sport, I was probably a bit harsh on Kam Racing. I have their details now and I am going to order them. They have done a good price and are assisting with spring rates.