ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Alarm and Immoboliser

GP2
Sorry if this has been asked millions of times before! Cant find anything under the serach.

I know the 172 has a CAT1 Cobra alarm, is the immoboliser also CAT1? Just me insurance company states it must have at least a CAT2 immoboliser.

Thanks

Ford Fiesta
there is confusion here. Cat2 part of the system is the immobiliser, the cat 1 part is the alarm on top of the immobiliser. Therefore if a system is cat 2 it will be thatcham immobiler only. Cat 1 means immobiliser and thatcham alarm.
does that make sense?

Ford Fiesta
if its a UK 172 it has a standard cat 1 system. Immobilser and alarm. No need for mention of cat 2.

GP2
Thanks Liam.

Not 100% if it is a UK car or not. I was told it was a UK car. Either way, its got a Cobra alarm that works from the plip and a red light near the gear stick.

Adrian Flux stipulate that it must have a CAT2 immobiliser otherwise it wont be insured against theft. So I should be able to state that the alarm/immobiliser is factory fitted and meets their requirements.

Thanks

Ford Fiesta
yep, they shouldnt be asking about cat 2, when they know it has a cat1 system, they are talking rubbish.

If you have the etching too on the windows and the window stickers then you sound to have a UK destined car.