ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1080p vs 720 or whatever it is...

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Will I notice a big difference between a TV that allows me 1080p over the standard definition like 720p?

I will have PS3/blu-rays/sky HD.

is it THAT BIG of a deal?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i don't know, i haven't bought it yet.

i was going to spend around £800 on one... but tbh, if i can get a tv that is 95% as good for like £400 i will take the latter option.

I was sizing up a 50 inch plasma 1080p beast... but then i thought it may be overkill...

tbh, i just don't f**king know.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I can tell, but i don't have old man eyes.

I got a 32" Sharp 1080p TV and BLU ray player for £450, was made of win.

Nippy white cup
I watched some bits on my dads 1080p and it was soo much smoother than mine in movement...was just a dvd so wasn't hd but I imagine watching a hd film moving as smoothly as this did it would be excellent

Chris

57 Clio Campus Sport
Yes you can see the difference but I would also say that your so late to the game that your nearly at the end of the 1080p lifespan so you may be better off just saving your money by getting the lower end set and skipping 1080p. 3D is just around the corner as well as new even better resolutions.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
yeah my brother seems ot think i should just buy a cheaper set to pass the time as it wil lbe a significant jump. as per your comment really.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
depends on the TV ;)

I have a 42" Panasonic Viera plasma which is 'only' 720p and the picture quality is superb

running various HD sources, XBox 360, PS3, HD-DVD, bluray & Sky HD, they all look stunning

a good 720p TV will be better than a cheap 1080p TV

depends on the TV ;)

I have a 42" Panasonic Viera plasma which is 'only' 720p and the picture quality is superb

running various HD sources, XBox 360, PS3, HD-DVD, bluray & Sky HD, they all look stunning

This man talks sense!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
depends on the TV ;)

While I agree with this I would still need 1080p

I think you can teall the difference quite easily.

I've seen games and dvds on my brothers samsung compared with my samsung there is a difference.

197 F1 R27
This man talks sense!

Yeah he does. Also remember that most ps3 games are rendered at 720p and sky HD is broadcast at 720p. A nice vierra plasma could prob be had for that money. Just do some research on the older models and I'm sure you'd be able to google around and find an older set for sale. Either that or go here www.hotukdeals.com and wait for a deal to appear.

E87 118d M Sport
the only thing that runs at 1080p atm is blu-ray. if you have a ps3 or bluray player then yeah get a 1080p (or if you want to future proof yourself as they are not THAT much more cash)

sky HD, and ps3 games run at 720p (and are upscaled to 1080i in most instances) which is the best output you need as far as these go.

if you are buying a TV smaller than 32-37" then do not worry about 1080p as you will not see a difference (any anyone that says they do is lying)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
pah 1080p is also widely avalible on a hell of a lot of hd content not just blue ray discs....what about plugging your pc into the telly and watching stuff of that?

get 1080p it makes a lot of difference even on my little 24" dell monitor you can tell the difference particularly with films and no i'm not lying at all. the monitor can obviously output higher than 1080p reoslution so you can quite easily see the difference in films. When playing the ps3 and 360 off it, of course most games are only 720p so it's difficult to compare.

i also have a 42" sony bravia and again the difference is significant.

However it might be worth noting that the source makes a hell of a lot of difference for example, watching a very good quality 1080p movie on a 720p screen (just downscaled) will look fantastic, but similarly wathcing a rubbish quality 720p film on a 1080p screen like i did only the other night looks pretty s**te (pretty s**t by comparison....obviously still a lot better than SD!)

at this stage it's basically pointless not to get 1080p especially if you haven't bought a telly yet. Don't waste your time.

you have to remember everything on a 720p set is scaled even 720p footage

but with a 1080p set if you give it 1080p footage it doesnt alter it :)

make sure it does 1080p 24 though

197 F1 R27
the only thing that runs at 1080p atm is blu-ray. if you have a ps3 or bluray player then yeah get a 1080p (or if you want to future proof yourself as they are not THAT much more cash)

sky HD, and ps3 games run at 720p (and are upscaled to 1080i in most instances) which is the best output you need as far as these go.

if you are buying a TV smaller than 32-37" then do not worry about 1080p as you will not see a difference (any anyone that says they do is lying)

I can def tell the difference on my panel when flipping vista from 1280 x 720 to 1920 x 1080. There is a huge difference in resolution and clarity.

None :(
1080p FTW never even bother with 720p, will be out of date nex year,

And on a big screen TV yes for sure u will notice the difference!

Mini JCW
While I agree with this I would still need 1080p

I think you can teall the difference quite easily.

I've seen games and dvds on my brothers samsung compared with my samsung there is a difference.

I highly doubt you can tell a difference.

I'd say it was more a difference in contrast rations / response times / motion capability and calibration.

Save the money, get the cheaper set and wait for teh 2010 sets to come out.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
If you're sitting more than like, 8ft away, you won't be able to tell the diffference

Unless you're watching your TV with f**king bi-noc-u-lars

MKIII 138
Yes you can see the difference but I would also say that your so late to the game that your nearly at the end of the 1080p lifespan so you may be better off just saving your money by getting the lower end set and skipping 1080p. 3D is just around the corner as well as new even better resolutions.

no

MKIII 138
on a side note im probably the only person on this forum to have seen a 3D tv in action

probably one of the few in the world

( makes me cooler ;) )

57 Clio Campus Sport
1080p FTW never even bother with 720p, will be out of date nex year,

And on a big screen TV yes for sure u will notice the difference!

720p was out of date as soon as 1080p came out.

on a side note im probably the only person on this forum to have seen a 3D tv in action

probably one of the few in the world

( makes me cooler ;) )

Yer, I've seen one aswell, so has anyone that has walked through the sound and vision department in Harrods, your really not that cool lol and what was with the straight 'no' answer?

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
720p was out of date as soon as 1080p came out.

Yer, I've seen one aswell, so has anyone that has walked through the sound and vision department in Harrods, your really not that cool lol and what was with the straight 'no' answer?
lol, i was thinking the same thing, they've had a 3d tv there since at least before christmas.

it looked s**t to me though.

Oh and I saw an oled tv nearly 2 years ago, beat that Phill;)

C

Cupster

Most 720p (HD Ready) sets will still show 1080i iirc. Only bother with a 1080p (Full HD) if you have blue ray imo.

Most 720p (HD Ready) sets will still show 1080i iirc. Only bother with a 1080p (Full HD) if you have blue ray imo.

no no no

people only say that because they have a 720p set

the standard picture on a 720p set is always scaled so you never see an un abused image its always been tinkered with

making it display a 1080i image that it has to de interlace then scale to 1366x768 isnt doing it ANY favours

least with a 1080p set you can feed it a 1080 signal and it just displays it bluray, xbox, ps3, pc etc (disclaimer regarding the consoles not all games are 1080p rendered so some are scaled in the console )

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
LOL @ unabused

It's not a Filipino rent boy, it's a digital signal.

People are getting far too anal about having to have a 1080p panel

720p panels are best for watching SD stuff anyway, which is mostly what I (and most normal people) still use their TV's for.

yep and most of my watching is hd these days

for the price difference these days you may aswell go 1080p its not like they are expensive and its not like anyone still makes 720p sets that are any size above 37

the futures 1080p and above

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
This thread is full of so much bollox its unreal. My choice quote of this thread is..

Totally seeing a difference between 1080p and 720p on a 24"... lol whatever..

720p is for pikeys 1080p is for the cs high rollers ;0)

kdf and why not if you sit close enough youcan granted if your close enough you wont see all the screen at one time but still ;)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
For the difference in prices you pay as well go for a 1080 panel if you're having 42inch or more.

Had ours a week now and surprised how much SD material doesn't suck on it really.