ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 struggling to accelerate

Hi guys

Having a strange problem with accelerating. Its not that it takes forever to get upto speed, its that it feels like its trying stop itself going any faster.

I pulled onto a downhill sliproad earlier, changed to 3rd and put the throttle down, but it just started juddering and wouldn't go any faster than 40mph. I lifted off the throttle and then went back on and it pulled away like usual with no problems.

Joined the motorway and was in 5th at about 65. Went to overtake someone and The same thing happened, until I again pulled off the throttle and back onto It again

Anyone had a similar problem?

Clio MK2 Phase 2
Is your engine management warning light on?
same thing happened to me except with the light the other day. It was Mis-firing had to pay £85.00 for new coils to be fitted.

/STKProd

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Do these things have a MAF !? Sounds similar to when my old MAF went on an old car. Idle was OK, under load it was not happy until it was warm. Turned out to be the oil in the new air filter ruining the sensoe.

Could, however, be coilpack, sparks, HTs, fuel pump or a number of other things..

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I had similar problems, turned out it was a faulty injector, got them refurbed and drove like a new car.

Is your engine management warning light on?
same thing happened to me except with the light the other day. It was Mis-firing had to pay £85.00 for new coils to be fitted.

/STKProd

Nah no lights on at all

Do these things have a MAF !? Sounds similar to when my old MAF went on an old car. Idle was OK, under load it was not happy until it was warm. Turned out to be the oil in the new air filter ruining the sensoe.

Could, however, be coilpack, sparks, HTs, fuel pump or a number of other things..

Hmm it does seem to go away after its warmed up... its had new plugs, leads & coilpack not too long ago mind

Coil pack, happened to me on my 1.2 (common fault). Brought a new one for £35 and fitted it, job done!

Also, f**k paying £85 for it. Where did you take your car? :S

Was yours OK after the car warmed up? was playing up in every gear on the way back from college just, but as soon as i got the engine temp up normal it was fine

Clio Mk1+Fiesta Mk6
could it be a faulty throttle position sensor i know its probably nothing like a mk1 clio but i had the same problem with mine only it wouldnt let me rev at all and i had to turn the car on and off again for it to work. Just a suggestion and from what i remember it isnt to expensive for a new one

Clio RS 200 Gordini
Its a common fault with 1.2's that they have trouble accelerating. This is usually down to the fact that its a 1.2.

Sorry, had to say it. I've got one myself; know how you feel.

Its a common fault with 1.2's that they have trouble accelerating. This is usually down to the fact that its a 1.2.

Sorry, had to say it. I've got one myself; know how you feel.

Its not the fact its slow to accelerate etc, its the fact it wont​ accelerate when its cold....

Clio RS 200 Gordini
I used to have that issue in my old 30k miles Mark 2, wouldn't go away unless I shifted out of gear and back in to it. I put my foot down pulling out of a junction and it would just judder more, no response, nothing.

Sell it.

Shouldn't be slamming the poor thing when its cold anyway. Leave it warm up first.

Last edited:

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Mine had an issue where it wouldn't go above 3000 rpm at random intervals, had it on the computer countless times but never found any answers, took it off the road not long after and used it as a field car.

I used to have that issue in my old 30k miles Mark 2, wouldn't go away unless I shifted out of gear and back in to it. I put my foot down pulling out of a junction and it would just judder more, no response, nothing.

Sell it.

Shouldn't be slamming the poor thing when its cold anyway. Leave it warm up first.

sell it, what? id rather fix it...

No i don't slam it at all, your missing the point. its struggling to get upto & over 2000rpm some days, which makes it extremely difficult to get out of junctions/keep up with traffic/pull onto a motorway

Clio Campus 2007
Hey mate, got the same issue with mine as well, i have an 07 Campus 1.2. Did replacing the coils work for everyone else? I'm just worried that it is something with the clutch!

Clio Campus 2007
Haha, probably because it's got warmer as the day gets on mate ;) It might just be cold starts? Good luck with it though buddy!

Fault reared its ugly head again.

Only seems to happen in heavy rain, as it was shitty all day untill it stopped raining, then the car seemed to be fine when it warmed/dryed up...

Titanium 182
I had a problem with mine like this, whenever it rained and the car got too wet it would lose all power and I could only do about 20mph, had my girlfriends dad to look at it and he said that he taped up two wires out of the ECU which we're getting wet and not connected properly and since that I've not had any troubles.

A grey one
Mine did this all the time, as soon as the weather got a bit wet!
the seals on the coilpack were fudged so water got in it I guess that caused issues, replaced the coilpack and spark plugs cause it might've damaged them... Absolutely fine :) got another 1.2, same issue, misfiring, not accelerating etc, changed coilpack, sorted, never had another problem,
1.2's are renowned for their coilpack issues iirc so.. Just change it, £40 and no more issues :)