ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 Air Filter

Clio 1.2
I've had a look at my air filter and it looks pretty dirty and so want to replace it. I've gotta keep my standard filter box for insurance reasons, but are there any filters out there fora mk2ph3 1.2 that will offer even a tiny tiny tiny performance advantage?

Steve

53 Clio's & counting
As Ben has said, on it's own any panel filter will not offer any noticable gain.

When i tested an itg panel filter on my old 172, it made 1 bhp more than the standard element, (that was the average over ten runs)

edit - though saying that, if you did an open induction kit you might loose a few bhp due to heat soak, you will think it's faster as it will sound faster

Clio 1.2
So more gains would come from drilling some holes in the bottom of the filter box letting it breather better?

53 Clio's & counting
No, i was talking about an open filter like a cone filter mate, an enclosed induction kit will always be better, but having an open ine will loose you a few bhp due to heat soak, but you won't notice it as it will sound faster due to the much louder induction noise

you won't any noticable gains from any filter - ie you won't bolt on an air filter, nail it down the road and actually notice an increase in performance, you will notice louder induction noise, which in turn gives a placebo effect thinking it is quicker

Clio 1.2
I know what you meant mate, can't fit anything but a panel filter though as has to remain looking standard. Was just asking about drilling holes as I've had a few people recommend it.

53 Clio's & counting
It is something that will add noise mate, it won't offer any performance increase as said, but it will sound a litter nicer.

If you're going to do it mind, remember that you will have to buy another airbox if you ever wish to sell the car, and also remember to drill the holes on the right side of the filter, otherwise you will be sucking in unfiltered air