ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v...what happens at 4000rpm

H22A7 Accord Type R

ok, having been to scotland with the new exhaust, nice long trip, lots of motorways, engine n exhaust very warm etc...... all u guys wi 1.2 16vs im sure will notice that in 5th gear on the motorway, the little engine aint too bad! 3500rpm and it pulls quite well.......BUT..........does something happen at 4000rpm??? i know its a rev-able 16v, but its not a twin cam, but i am SURE that with the exhaust, at 4000rpm exactly, there is a change in noise, its gets a bit louder, and pulls quite well (4000rpm=80mph) anyone else notice, or know what happens? Not valve timing or anything is it???

Cheers,

Rob - information seeker

I get it with my 1.2 8v...

If I keep it above 3.5k - 4k.. there is definetly more pull up to about 5k. - 5.5k... if I floor it at 1.5k in 2nd, it slowly slowly pulls, but when it gets to 3.5k.. it really goes.

Range Rover, GTC, LP640

all i know is that i use ti eat my mate in his swift gti with more or less same engine

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Sounds like a wee 172...Im sure if you treat it well, and give it nice high octane fuel, it will grow up to be quite a beast

Im sure youll know that between about 3750 and 5500 you guys are sitting in your peak torque to peak power range which would explain why they pull so well in that rev range.

H22A7 Accord Type R

...........i always run on Optimax! nah, it aint a twin cam, single cam, unfortunately!!

yep daz same thing happens with my 1.2 8v mate! v.strange tho! my m8 got in my car and he knows a bit about cars...he was in 3rd then he got to a certain point clicked his fingers and put his foot down and WOOOSH it was off :s and my car aint got a rpm meter either :s how the feck did he know when to hit the gas :s

Lee

H22A7 Accord Type R

i think that if u ever want to have a bit of fun, build the revs up the maximum torque leve, hold it there, then floor it!! gives the best pull!!! the best way to make ur little enging feel quick!!! :oops:

Rob youre right, the engine note changes quite a bit, i presume that section of the revs ranges is where max bhp is. If i drive through busy places and go all the way to the 6000rpm limit (i think thats it) you hear the sound bouncing off peoples cars and the buildings around you.

-Rob

H22A7 Accord Type R

all the way to 6000rpm in busy places, thats either 30mph (1st) 55mph (2nd), 80mph (3rd) or 100mph (4th)!!! lol tut tut Rob :oops: glad u have noted the change in noise too!!! u got that K-tec exhaust yet???

H22A7 Accord Type R

springs mate...........lowering is a must on the dynamiques! when i look at pictures of mine non-lowered, it looks like a jeep at the back!!! so there ya go.......springs, then u will have the taste for spendin, n then u will go mad! thats what i did n now, im leaving mine for a while!

H22A7 Accord Type R

erm..........it might squeal when you are trying to set off.....horrible vibration through the pedal? and your revs u put in dont seem to get much motion to the wheels.............? Rob

My old 1.4 16v was at its best between 4500rpm and 6500rpm. Had no go at all below 4.5k, but a bit like the 172, it perked up nicely with the "on cam" feeling above 4.5k.

megane

gota go 4 springs 1st mine feels soooo much better now

gettin me exhaust soon though

any1 got the ktr relocation induction kit its sumthing like 140£ all in:confused:

is it worth it???

andy

The 1.2 16v IS a double overhead cam. And yes ive noticed that too, especially today with a 1.2 16v courtesy car!!!

Also when your clutch is going you sometimes cant get it into gear or it judders when you pull away

is it common for 1.2 clutches to f**k up?

do you all get a judder when changing gear? its ont a series of judders, just 1 kinda noticeable one

Monaco 172

go for springs first my car looks so much better decked 60mm gonna get an induction kit next so i dont have to make the grrrrrrrrrr noises myself when i pulll away

anyone recomendations on inductions for the 1.2 16v????????

megane

wat about ktrs one with the polished pipe on its 143£ but looks sweet i dont no if its any good yet though but im very tempted to get 1:devilish:

o its 143£ cause it comes with a pipercross induction cone on

andy

Quote: Originally posted by captain_clio on 27 July 2003

is it common for 1.2 clutches to f**k up?

do you all get a judder when changing gear? its ont a series of judders, just 1 kinda noticeable one
Not sure, but i cane mine and it seems fine!

H22A7 Accord Type R

from what ive been reading Tom, am i right in guessing u have a valver now???? Rob

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Back to the original question... Its possible because of this...

Cams are tunned for different RPM and torque. It is possible that at the 4000rpm mark the cam is at the most effecient and thats why you get a sudden change in note.

I get this on my bike.. at 10,000 rpm the engine changes note and pulls like a train because the cams are designed to work at their best at that rpm.

If you get a Rolling Road printout of yuor car I guess you will see a hike of torque and BHP at this point.

Ivan

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Thats what weve been saying.

Each car has its own "power band" in which it will perform at its best

so in the 1.2 16V and 1.4 16V the range is 3750 - 5500rpm

in the 172 its 5400 - 6250rpm

ps. Tom...sorry mate...couldnt resist that one

Quote: Originally posted by R3OBC on 24 July 2003

...........i always run on Optimax! nah, it aint a twin cam, single cam, unfortunately!!
Optimax will do nothing for the power of the car, it just means its less likley to detonate if you advance the ignition timing. And almost "ALL" UK spec cars ECUs are timed for 95RON fuel. so putting in 98Octane has no benifit unless you drive a high boosted Turbo car or Superchaged or a Super Car league motor.

What you boys are experencing is your peak torque and power band.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by 6foot6 on 05 August 2003

Quote: Originally posted by R3OBC on 24 July 2003

Optimax will do nothing for the power of the car, it just means its less likley to detonate if you advance the ignition timing. And almost "ALL" UK spec cars ECUs are timed for 95RON fuel. so putting in 98Octane has no benifit unless you drive a high boosted Turbo car or Superchaged or a Super Car league motor.

What you boys are experencing is your peak torque and power band.
The 172 can make use of 98 ron petrol as this runs a higher compression ratio and can automatically detect what fuel you are using via the knock sensor.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

it sucks like a b**ch at 4000rpm so it must be using more inlet or sommat

yeah , which is exatly what I said, its all about ECUs being able to change the advance the ignition timing to show any increase.