ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v intermittent fault

silver clio 182
Hi guys , just bought my daughter a 51plate 1.2 16v expression, done 70k. prev. had throttle body & loom fitted, also coil pack & leads. Problem is occasionally she says it will:-, while driving, loose engine power, rev counter drop, eng light on, then recover and be fine. ive had it out and ragged it for miles and cant get it to miss a beat! anyone any ideas?? many thanks!

Vectra
mine had this problem few month ago...got a full service and all that the fault was gone but the lad did say the problem with mine loosing power was with the Coil Pack now it runs like a dream but in the service a got all kinds replaced etc etc...

silver clio 182
Thanks Heeadk did yours run perfect then just at random have a funny cutting out do?? im worried bout my young daughter out at night with a car that may "cut out" cheers.

The light shaped like the engine not the electrical fault (heartbeat light)? Needs fault code reading on a proper diagnostic machine mate.

Also was the new coil pack genuine or a cheap one? They can cause problems.

Vectra
Thanks Heeadk did yours run perfect then just at random have a funny cutting out do?? im worried bout my young daughter out at night with a car that may "cut out" cheers.

ive got the 52plate expression 1.2 16v , when a bought it she had around 65k on the clock now its on around 74k and I never had any problem in all that time then it just started loosing power all of a sudden it never cut off even with the odd light flashing , with it being me first car a thought oh sh*t ive broke it haha but a got on the phone to me local garage and the lad to done the service just said once cars hit the 70k mark things start going wrong and he said the reason it was loosing power was just because of the Coil Pack , your best bet is to book it in for a full service and they will sort you out , with me when a got the full service a splashed out on new brakes/clutch everything haha

clio
my crankshaft sensor was covered in crap and did symptoms not unlike this...?

cleaned up and refitted - no worries

silver clio 182
thanks Head and zark, good replys, many thanks, ill follow up on all those ideas, keepyou posted. btw does any body know why my 182 ticks over like a bag of spanners???

alien green rs133
my sisters 1.2 16v after about an hour driving on the motor way, completely dies for about half a second then its bursts into life again with engine flashing but running fine, these engines are common for being made on the cheap, make sure the main earth onto the chassis, under pass headlight, its nice and clean, and then engine earth is good too, one on gearbox below chassis earth and one next to brake fluid bottle.

silver clio 182
Thanks Hutchie ill have a good look at that, i notice a recent thread mentions similar symtoms caused by a faulty knock sensor, any one any thoughts on this one??

silver clio 182
cheers JJ ive booked it in for a diag check tomorrow, however i thought anti knock sensor would just stop it "pinking", not cause a shut down ??

Also, have a look at the back of the engine block and make sure that the black metal block isn't cutting through the wiring.

silver clio 182
Thanks again , HeadK7, interesting reading on that link, think when i have it diag'd tomorrow ill pay special attention to TDC and Knock sensors !! Watch this space !!:approve:

Also, have a look at the back of the engine block and make sure that the black metal block isn't cutting through the wiring.

Forgot about that frogster make sure this is checked but hopefully because it has had the loom changed it will have been taken off.

silver clio 182
Good point Beef-Mc, Ive taken the top of the heavy sealed metal box thingy, wires seem ok, so ive taped it all up.

silver clio 182
Sos Ryanj, probs are with my daughters 1.2 16v expression, my 182's ok (although it idles like a bag of cr*p) :)
Thanks anyway!