ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v Clutch

1.2 Dynamique 16v
My clutch has been juddering when setting off in first gear, nothing major but still annoying. Driving home today, got onto the slip road to get on the M60 and clutch started to slip, high reving without really picking up speed. Took it easy on the way back. The clutch pedal has gone much softer and setting off is difficult.

New clutch I suspect? Anybody know how much it'll cost for part and labour roughly?

Thanks in advance

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
I'm having the same issue, I'm sure its cause by a previous teenager owner of the car :/
So I will sub this thread.

When I had mine done, I was getting quotes from £300 to £350 from most garages, although I'm sure there will be plenty of places that will do it cheaper.

1.2 Dynamique 16v
When I had mine done, I was getting quotes from £300 to £350 from most garages, although I'm sure there will be plenty of places that will do it cheaper.

Cheers mate. I hope so, straight after Christmas/New Year... Brilliant lol

£295 for a friend Renault mechanic and his mate to do it after hours private, Valeo clutch supplied

Took that quote straight away because i needed the car and the garage is down the road from me

1.2 Dynamique 16v
I'm going to get some prices in on Tuesday. So if i get a price of about 200-250 I'm not getting ripped off?

LY 182
As Fred says 6 hours book time (can be done much quicker, but that's almost besides the point here) a VERY cheap garage will be charging 30 pound an hour, plus a clutch, plus oil.. Plus vat, do the maths! 300 quid would be a cheap job!

1.2 Dynamique 16v
Okay. I might be clutching at straws here (excuse the pun) but is this something a friend mechanic could do on their drive? Or does this job require the car to be lifted on the rack?

1.2 Dynamique 16v
Okay, abit of an update.

I sometimes get a 'mobile' mechanic to do the work on my cars, he doesn't have his own garage but has access to one when he needs a ramp. so it keeps his overheads down, and therefore the quotes he gives are cheaper. So anyway, he has quoted 120 labour and a approximate figure of 100 for parts. Although he's going to confirm this on Tuesday.

Booked it in for Thursday, having got an online quote of 475 off the halfords autocentre website!

MK3 GTI golf 16v
get a friend to do it with you if you wanna save money and have a mechanic mate. did my friends clutch in about 4 hours on his drive

1.2 clio
450 ??? wots the clutch solid gold..... my m8 done mine took him half an hour he charged me 50 pounds i paid the the clutch kit which was £110 and some oil which was £2.....

LY 182
There is a cheat to it, remove o/s engine mount, attach engine to brace, unbolt bell housing (everything still attached ) slide engine over then u can unbolt the clutch through the gap. 2 dabs of superglue on the clutch plate sorts out the lining it up problem. I've done them quite impressively quick like this but half hour takes the piss. What tools did he use? Chainsaw? And as for a 172 conversion in less than 12 hours. Mine was done in plumbed and ready to run in less than 12 hours..... I then spent 3 days wiring it.

1.2 clio
i swear !! he did... i will let u guys think wot u wont but i now it happend coz its in my car and it works like a peach.. 12hours everything done engine in and loom ...

Lionel Richie
half hour cluch change, we couldn't even do that on the race cars, you've been sniffing glue, oh and even my best mate would pay more than £50

standard car drive in, drive out 172 conversion in 12hours???

whats happening on here the last few days?!

Its actually scary. half an hour change. 5 people on here stood and watched fred recently challenge himself to rebuild my engine and clutch... he's GOOD and that took him 2 hours(ish) running round like a nutter.

I lapped the ring in 4.54 last week.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
I love those pictures! ^ :D

Just checked at work, a clutch should be about £75 for a o.e LUK one...

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
We quoted about £328 for one at work, bloke rang back and told us it can be done in 30 mins?! LOL

1.2 Dynamique 16v
Whats better out of a Valeo or LUK? Just so I can make sure he gets the best one. Also is there a specific gearbox oil that he should be using?

1.2 Dynamique 16v
Another question, should the gearbox oil be getting changed? And why? Just out of interest (I'm a novice)

Lionel Richie
Valeo/LUK/Sachs/QH - doesn't matter which

you have to drain the box oil to remove the driveshaft, only gypos would pour the old stuff back in