ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

04 Clio, Emission Light on, loss of power/unresponsive, using more fuel.

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Hi guys, for the last few months my clio 1.2 dynamique has been having issues with its power loss.

The emission light comes on for maybe a few days and then go off for a few days with no uniform pattern. During the whole time, the car occasionally loses power. The best way I can describe this is the throttle being unresponsive. I put my foot down, in low gears and it may take a second or two to accelerate. Again, this comes and goes and the response times vary.

To make things worse it seems to be using more fuel since this problem started, from 40ish to 30ish MPG. I dont know if this is to do with the problem but I felt it worth mentioning.

I'v had suggestions such as change the plugs, have it serviced, but before I spend what little money I have I'd like to see what you guys think.

Thanks in advance, Mark.

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Thanks! How sure are you of this and will it be easy enough to replace given my lack of mechanical experience? How much am i looking at for the part and where should i get it from?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
There are also a number of other explanations for this. Plugs, lambda or leads. I would start by taking the throttle body off and cleaning it, taking out the plugs and giving them a brush off with a spark plug brush (£3 from halfords)

This kind of job is very easy and if you can tie a shoe lace will be no problem. To give you an idea, I changed my coilpack in 3 minutes in the euro car parts car park before my MOT. It is SOO easy. If you're methodical nothing can go wrong. Just don't do up bolts stupidly tight like lots of start out mechanics do. They just need to be sufficiently tight.

Coil pack can be had from ebay for about £25 although most people say it's best to get genuine however I am unsure of price for this. There are a number of traders on here who I am sure will be more than happy to quote you for a coilpack. Give them a call!

On the 1.2 D4F engine but throttle body is quite hard to get to.

See this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02OAzLkbgwk

M
y grandads 1.2 and my old 1.2 had the coilpack problem, you go to floor it in 4th and it just splutters and missfires. Like above it could be other problems, but the coilpack is a common problem.

To replace you simply undo the 4 torx screws on the coilpack box, and simply lift off I think you have to unplug a lead on the box, then under the plastic engine cover you lift the plastic coils out with a screwdriver or something, then replace with the new pack and push the coils down in the right order.

Genuine coilpack from renault I think is £100. On both cars I used a pattern part for about £25 and had no problems.

If that doesnt work it could be the spark plugs, maybe lambda sensor.

Recently my grandad was stalling the clio at the lights but he said it wasnt him, turned out another problem is due to the poor oil breaithing setup, inside the plastic manifold at the back there can be a thick pool of oil, which then clogs up the throttle body and doesnt allow enough air to get through at idle. I followed the above youtube guide, and cleaned out the throttle body which solved the issue.

But your drop in MPG and hesitation sounds like it could be the coilpack.

Last edited:
  Clio Mk2 Ph2 1.2 16V
Hello

Ive been having the same problems with mine, changed coils plugs and pre cat lambda sensor but still to no avail...

would cleaning the throttle body help at all?

my mpg has been a constant 30 round town, but drops to about 26 on the motorway