ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 ph1 bumper

Clio mk2 ph1 1.6 8v
Hello. Recently i bought clio 1.6 8V rxe and I love it. It shows 150k kms and overall condition is not so bad. I also have some allu rims on it. I was thinking of having it as a project for winter/next year. Im thinking of ph1 172 look. I wonder if I can install bumper from clio 172 ph1 on my clio. If yes mby if you can tell me where can I get such bumper and if there will be some problems with homologation in Europe. Thanks for any info😁

IMG_20231001_212405.jpg

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
To fit the 172 bumper you'll need the front wings as they are flared and wider, which means you pretty much need the skirts too, as they fit on the bottoms of the wings. Not sure if the skirts will fit the same on a 5 door, but they probably do? You need a full ph1 sport kit basically, means it'll need painting to match too.
Plenty of sport conversions been done, be worth having a search around.

Clio Alize 1.4 8v
To fit the 172 bumper you'll need the front wings as they are flared and wider, which means you pretty much need the skirts too, as they fit on the bottoms of the wings. Not sure if the skirts will fit the same on a 5 door, but they probably do? You need a full ph1 sport kit basically, means it'll need painting to match too.
Bit of an old thread, but I was just wondering what your thoughts are on potentially making a 5-door 172? I'm speaking hypothetically, as I've searched around a lot and haven't found anyone that's done it before!
I know people will say the 5-door isn't as nice, but I think a counterargument is that you're improving a 5-door Clio rather than making a 3-door Clio worse. Would be cool to see a full 172 with front bumper, fenders, skirts, rear wing, dual optic headlights and of course the the engine and suspension from a 172.

It's not like it's a radical concept or anything, VW make 5-door Golf GTIs and they sell better than the 3-doors in some regions!

Clio Alize 1.4 8v
I decided I've had enough of not being able to see what my idea would look like, decided to just photoshop it myself 😂
IMG-2910.jpg

Regular 172 Ph1
172 5 door.png

My creation, the 172 5-door, coming to a Renault dealership near you on February 30th, 2001! Even with my terrible photoshop skills, I honestly don't think this looks bad at all! Why Renault, why didn't you make it happen?!

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
3 door hatches are cooler ;)
But I don’t see why not, not sure if they’re on here but I’ve seen some social media posts with people who’ve done 5 door sport conversions, although I’m not sure if that’s just hacking the front bumper on, or if you can easily transfer everything else on, I’m sure it’s possible though.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
This is the car I’m thinking of, doesn’t have sport skirts so I’m sure where the wings and skirts are supposed to join will look strange. Arch liners will also be tricky, mainly because they’re close to unobtainium.
IMG_6710.jpeg

Clio Alize 1.4 8v
3 door hatches are cooler ;)
But I don’t see why not, not sure if they’re on here but I’ve seen some social media posts with people who’ve done 5 door sport conversions, although I’m not sure if that’s just hacking the front bumper on, or if you can easily transfer everything else on, I’m sure it’s possible though.
True, they are cooler, but I'm speaking as a South African. You see, VW never even brought the 3-door Mk5 GTI here, and the 5-door sold really well and you still see them driving around today, and I don't think it looks ugly at all. Being more of a developing economy meant 5-doors had higher demand than 3 doors since you can still have a family of four and have it make sense. If Renault made this 5-door 172/182 I'm certain it would've sold well here and other developing countries in South America. It probably wouldn't have been much hassle to make either, just make more 5-door shells, and instead of putting the 1.2/1.4/1.5DCI/1.6 in, just put the 2.0 along with its subframe, suspension, interior, etc.

I guess they never did that because VW was big enough to make a million different versions of their cars, while Renault's popularity outside Europe is much smaller (in SA the Polo and Mk1 Golf are EVERYWHERE, whereas when I see another Clio 2 driver I actually make note of it)

Clio Alize 1.4 8v
This is the car I’m thinking of, doesn’t have sport skirts so I’m sure where the wings and skirts are supposed to join will look strange. Arch liners will also be tricky, mainly because they’re close to unobtainium.
View attachment 1694667
Hmm does this have the F4R in it? Also if it does then not only is it a 5-door 172, but it's a 172 with a sunroof! (I know it's not good for the centre of mass but it's cool)

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm does this have the F4R in it? Also if it does then not only is it a 5-door 172, but it's a 172 with a sunroof! (I know it's not good for the centre of mass but it's cool)
Not my car, so can't say unfortunately, but I don't think it's been F4R swapped.
I think most of our non-sport mk2 Clios here were sunroof models, I had one on mine, they're not that great to be honest, love to leak and don't open very far.