ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weird Gearbox leak

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Lets add another post about JC5 leaks..
the car is a track toy, gearbox has inside lsd and a short final ratio crown. I use Redline MT90 oil.. after the big failure of clutch the last year I am now running a synthered racing clutch with 4 paddles and a reinforced pressure plate.
I had some trackdays since the car built and never had leaking issues, last month i had a trackday, 2 sessions of 15 minutes each. Laps done at max, no cooldown (don't worry, i got a huge alloy radiator with proper ducting, oil cooler, custom made fiberglass brake ducts.. ) The car behaved very good. once at home I notice wet wheel. I thought about the cv boot.. but taking away the wheel i noticed it was oil coming from the gearbox 5th gear cover seal. it then dripped on the suspension arm and then on the inside of wheel .. which blasted it all over.
i drained the oil (which was brown) cleaned everything, bought a new seal and fitted adding also some sealant (just to be sure) .
Filled with oil and this morning i did some kms to check it. all was good.
Then i brought her to the track. went for the first session. all good, only the 3rd a bit stiff but hey, its a jc5.. glad it still engage.
checked after the session and the box was clean and dry.
Went for second session (about half an hour later) same behaviour on the track, but when returned to paddock.. gearbox wet on the same spot and some oil sprayed around. inside of wheel wet and my poor brake duct collected some oil which fell in a 5cm diameter "puddle".
COnsidering how much oil was missing the other time, its not a big loss.. seems big because it has been sprayed everywheere by wheel and air.. but maybe one of those little coffee paper cups of vending machines.
The gearbox seems to work without big issues..
I can fill new oil, reseal.. but i'd love to understand what its happening... seems that it kinda over heats and begins to p1ss oil from there..
does anyone have a clue ?
oh, when i resealed everything the other day i checked gearbox planes and surfaces and even the steel black cover and i havent noticed cracks or deformations..

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Did you encountered the same problem?!
What made me worried is that it was just been cleaned and resealed with new gasket and everything.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I would double check the seals have been seated properly. Also inspect the shaft support bearing.

I had this happen to me on a track day with my Megane 225. Done many trackdays with the Clio 172 and had no issues but the Meg this time round done the same thing. The whole wheel barrel, liner, underside of the car. All the way down the back and on turn in the back would break free at low speed which was the gear oil going everywhere 🙄

Clio 172 + Clio200T
I would double check the seals have been seated properly. Also inspect the shaft support bearing.

I had this happen to me on a track day with my Megane 225. Done many trackdays with the Clio 172 and had no issues but the Meg this time round done the same thing. The whole wheel barrel, liner, underside of the car. All the way down the back and on turn in the back would break free at low speed which was the gear oil going everywhere 🙄
Gladly my leak wasn't so huge to get to tje rear tires.
Yes the box is ok, input shaft is not leaking and not even the dreaded selector shaft seal.
My track car engine bay is spotless as I am a bit maniac on that. I went through my usual cleaning routine just the day before and the box still was clean and dry, the leak was clearly coming from the black 5th gear cover. Weirdest part... Seems like it wss coming for the higher part of it because there was a run if oil from top to bottom..
I don't understand what it can be..deformed black end cover?! Leak only when very hot?!