ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Write Off or Not??

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Advice please all.

Mrs was involved in a low speed collision in Tesco car park, other drivers fault on a mobile phone failing to stop at a junction going staight into the passenger front side.

She took all his details. Rang my insurance and they tell me it could be wrote off! bit shocked tbh with that, mentioned If it's 60% of the value of the car and it being 13yr old it will be wrote off.

Damage looks superficial to me, cracked light lense and front bumper all scratched.

What do you think? car is getting seen next week by a garage to be assessed, bloke said he'll pay for the damage.

IMG_20181208_164716.jpg

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
New bumper and light out of the for sale section and it'll be good as new, they may still write if off though even though less than £100 could probably fix it.

172 Turbo
If it's just the light and bumper, get a couple of hundred off the guy. Buy second hand replacements and move on with your life.

Sadly, now you've told the insurance it'll need to be declared on renewals.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I wouldn't have told the insurance about that, it's a few scrapes and a cracked light, the increased cost to your renewals will far outweigh the cost of the parts.

Rusty Cup
but he isnt claiming from his insurance so there is nothing to declare? im drunk so ignore me but that sounds unreasonably harsh if its the case. Ive not crashed in a while.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
but he isnt claiming from his insurance so there is nothing to declare? im drunk so ignore me but that sounds unreasonably harsh if its the case. Ive not crashed in a while.

Doesn’t matter. Even if he doesn’t go through insurance now, they are aware so the premium will most likely go up next year regardless.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
other driver was at fault so dont see how insurance will go up?

This is the first question I asked tbh.

Thanks for the replies btw.

I haven't officially 'claimed' yet but my insurance is aware obviously so is that enough at this stage to push my premiums up next year?

I'd rather possibly go the route of getting a couple of hundred off the chap now!

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Insurance is aware so you now have to declare for 5 years. My premiums went up on both cars (policyholder and second driver) after my non fault. Think the system stinks TBH.

172 Turbo
But the question isn't how many claims you've had, that comes next after you answer the question about accidents

1544292901789.png

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
If you’ve had a crash, insurers will suggest you’re more likely to have another one, regardless of fault. You become riskier to insure therefore they charge you more.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Joke that, I'll just take the Mrs off it next year and make her walk everywhere, job done?

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
Tell the insurance company that the car is very special to you and give the car a good wash and wax and email the photos and demand that you wish not to be written off plus go and get a few estimates at small independent Body shops and that you want to keep the cost down remember this that the insurance companies get 26% of the value of your car if they write it off. You can ask for a settlement which will help pay your repair bill. Plus my law you have the right to take the car to who you wish. Good luck

If it gets written off, you should provide evidence of equivalent vehicles' sales listings in order to show you want more than they are offering to settle (because they will always try to offer low on the first try).

Request to buy it back (they normally offer this, I believe) and then just get secondhand parts to fix it. Then run it into the ground because it owes you virtually nothing!

Tell the insurance company that the car is very special to you and give the car a good wash and wax and email the photos and demand that you wish not to be written off plus go and get a few estimates at small independent Body shops and that you want to keep the cost down remember this that the insurance companies get 26% of the value of your car if they write it off. You can ask for a settlement which will help pay your repair bill. Plus my law you have the right to take the car to who you wish. Good luck
Is this true? How do they get such a sum of money if they are paying out to you?

My daughter's 2002 Clio 1.2 had very similar damage just over two week ago, after someone pulled in front of her & she didn't quite stop in time. They admitted fault and we said to just give us £50 to cover some rattle cans. The other party didn't want this and put it through insurance, they contacted us to say it's a write off as £700 to fix damage plus hire car for daughter (even though she told them she din't need one!) Car worth £500. The funny thing is it had been playing up with a corroded ecu and I'd not been looking forward to changing it plus all the locks etc (immobiliser) so a bit of a win. Daughter is upset as it was her first car, she passed her test in it seven years ago!

TLDR So point is it'll most likely be written off!

Land Rover
Can’t you buy the salvage and fix it, then trouser the left over money towards her next years insurance?

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
you can ask to buy the car back if you wish after they have paid you out but you will need to discuss your wishes to the insurance engineer

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
This is the first question I asked tbh.

Thanks for the replies btw.

I haven't officially 'claimed' yet but my insurance is aware obviously so is that enough at this stage to push my premiums up next year?

I'd rather possibly go the route of getting a couple of hundred off the chap now!
Statistically you are more likely to have another accident, after you have had an accident, even a non-fault, so this pushes your policy cost up.

Seems unfair doesn't it.