ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

would bonnet vents on a track Clio work?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Will get round to drilling large diameter vent ports behind the front number plate soon, as the engine bay gets so hot on track
Don't like the permanent bonnet lifters that raise the windshield end of the bonnet an inch or 2

Anyone tried fitting bonnet vents angled to the windshields for a decent throughput of air? Would it work

Have tried it on a previous motor, and it dropped the temperature by about 20 deg celsius

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Have you monitored coolant and oil temps to see how hot it's actually getting?

If it's just track sessions at 20 minutes a time, they're not really needed.

Maybe look at what @Tomotek has done on his race car. They need to be in a low pressure area for them to work, can't just slap them anywhere.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Have you monitored coolant and oil temps to see how hot it's actually getting?

Maybe look at what @Tomotek has done on his race car. They need to be in a low pressure area for them to work, can't just slap them anywhere.

No. not monitored temps yet.
Yes- Only for 20 minute sessions, but it does get f'ing hot under there

My assumption was that heat rises, and would place them higher up the bonnet. There would be a fair draught thru.....

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
No. not monitored temps yet.
Yes- Only for 20 minute sessions, but it does get f'ing hot under there

My assumption was that heat rises, and would place them higher up the bonnet. There would be a fair draught thru.....

Try removing the seal between the bonnet and scuttle panel. That's a low pressure area and the speed of the air moving over the top of the windscreen might be enough to create a slight suction to help pull hot air out.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just go full Scooby scoop on top and be done with it. ;)

As @JamesBryan says - I'd be investigating into where would be the best location for it. Wasn't there a thread a while back that was going on about ambient air pressures and temp within the engine bay?

Do you still have your under-tray on too? I've always left mine on as a daily - though if it was a track car, I'd be taking that right off.

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
Try removing the seal between the bonnet and scuttle panel. That's a low pressure area and the speed of the air moving over the top of the windscreen might be enough to create a slight suction to help pull hot air out.
The air doesnt actually flow that quickly in the area you are describing. Its in a turbulent area as some of the air acutally swirls and goes down towards the bonnet

Like that.

Your best bet is create the lowest possible pressure area inside the bonnet and behind the rad. Also introduce shielding /shrouding around your rad ( if not there already ) to force the high pressure air from outside through your rad into the low pressure under the bonnet.

I would also closely take a look at your water and oil temps. Is there really an issue or are you being a bit sensative?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
You know the crash bar is right behind where you plan to drill? So unless you drill that too then it won't do a single thing. It won't do much anyway imo, maybe help the rad out slightly but it's not needed.

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
I dont know on the clio if there is enough space to put in a post rad duct like on the some motorsport applications to get rid of the heat straight from the rad.

Like this :

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
I run a completely bespoke rad layout which enables me to run a smaller rad to allow me to get the air inlet for the engine fed from the kidney grille on the bonnet

I have angled it forward and added a duct on the front to feed all the air from the main grille into the rad

979d65e1026e5a7d91bd67ff64203994.jpg

f48f6788ca9ec5236d8c5d38377f9bcc.jpg

30b7e3a6f15bb3ac0fd13227dbf71296.jpg

0547ceb9db34c40c92e2eb939a86ee3c.jpg

0ffea6a7849f498d4b95a8536943142d.jpg

I then run bonnet vents positioned nearer the front of the bonnet (infront the cam cover and behind the rad) to draw the hot air exiting the rad out of the bonnet, using the low pressure air passing over bonnet

As previously said, to far back and the airflow is turbulent and high pressure.. also the airflow is blocked by the inlet above the cam cover

be80393968867598a6554ff4f5cec2a2.jpg

079817167a9712ac6a511c7c70ec4126.jpg

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
@Tomotek what rad is that your using out of interest please. I've got a VW polo one I think in mine because of the bodies. Lower down out of the way also make life easier getting to things at the front of the engine. The front cross member blocks off around 50/55%% of the rad aswell...
20190217_121234.jpg