ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wont start - flashing light then solid light - cranks but wont fire

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
At a loss now as to what this can be and it is really frustrating me!

When i bought the car, first attempt to start you get the fast flash red light on the speedo console. 2nd or 3rd attempt and ot would start fine. However, the barrel is also broke and needs replacing as the return spring etc doesnt work.

Anyway, this has got worse, now going from fast flashing light, to a solid light. It will crank but not fire. Then i might try again and it will go back to fast flash and either start next attempt or not start at all.

I had the key tested and 8/10 attempts it read fine so they key guy said he couldnt gaurantee it was a key fault so i didnt get a new one made up.

If i disconect the battery, and then reconect it, it seems to start up fine again!

It can go 4 days without issue then the fast red flash will start up again, sometimes then leading tothe solid light / back to the flashing light.

I know it is difficult to diagnose over the net. But what on earth could it be!?!? Is there a way of finding out or do i literally play roulette with it and work theough a huge list and hope i solve it at the start of the list before i have spent too much!?!?

This in my projectthread but appreciate everyone might not read that.
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/austin’s-clio-dci-100-initiale.824056/

Massive thanks and if anyone has a solutionthat solves it I will send you a beer token!

Thanks

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Ahhhh jeezzz, sorry to hear this rare find DCi is becoming an utter ball ache.

There must be a worse case senario and be able to just swap barrel/door locks and ECU? I’d skip the whole fault finding in between and save the hassle.

It’ll probably be cheaper too, rather than spending chunks in between on diagnosing.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Ahhhh jeezzz, sorry to hear this rare find DCi is becoming an utter ball ache.

There must be a worse case senario and be able to just swap barrel/door locks and ECU? I’d skip the whole fault finding in between and save the hassle.

It’ll probably be cheaper too, rather than spending chunks in between on diagnosing.

I have no idea mate. Im clueless with electrics in a car, they seem to be impossible to diagnose. So anoying because the engine is great, when it starts, it drives brilliant! I have already done about 800 miles in in with no issues, so its so frustrating is that the only issue is getting the thing started!

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Chances are you have this sorted by now,

On my 172 this was a UCH fault, located under the dash.
Replaced it with a key set and ECU, all has been fine.
I have no idea mate. Im clueless with electrics in a car, they seem to be impossible to diagnose. So anoying because the engine is great, when it starts, it drives brilliant! I have already done about 800 miles in in with no issues, so its so frustrating is that the only issue is getting the thing started!