ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whirring/ticking noise

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
Hi guys,

Bought a Monaco 172 last week, and getting a noise which I can't quite identify.

It is a constant whirring/ticking kind of noise... difficult to describe.

Sounds like it is coming from more the passenger side.

It increases with engine speed, not road speed (i.e. if I travel at 20-30mph and dip the clutch, and rev the engine, the noise increases/decreases in line with engine RPM).

Was told my previous owner that the gearbox was refurbished within the last 1,000 miles or so.

Any suggestions what it could be? Car appears to drive ok, just an annoying noise I can hear when the music isn't playing.

Almost sounds like what a worn speedo cable can sound like, kind of best way I could describe it.

Appreciate any suggestions and help.

Ash

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
Clutch release bearing?

Nope don't think so. Wouldn't increase with engine speed? Either way, definitely not release bearing as I know how they sound and full clutch kit was done within last 5,000 miles!

Not stereo related is it ?

I was thinking this. Have fitted an aftermarket stereo over weekend, and this noise has been there with both standard and aftermarket unit. I just think it sounds more mechanical related.