ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheels scrubbing on arch liners & bumper bracket

Clio 2 RS172 Cup
Hey guys. So I had this happen at the Nurburgring this evening... got away lucky is an understatement I think as I was pushing it. (see pics attached) I wouldn't say the car is too low. I've seen track only clios a lot lower and I'm guessing they don't have this problem. I'm running 205/45/16 NS2R tyres on I'm guessing stock 172 Turinis? I know some say that you'll get rubbing issues with 205s, others not. And honestly this looks like this would have happened on 195s, too. Has anyone else had this issue?

Also, the car is on Bilstein B14 coilovers. Maybe I simply need a stiffer coilover and I'm just getting too much roll?

Link to the lap up until I backed off:

I noticed some minor scrubbing on the arch liner previously so I didn't think much of it until it got a lot worse. The compression into foxhole is what done it.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG-20190523-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20190523-WA0000.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 298
  • PSX_20190522_120213.jpg
    PSX_20190522_120213.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG-20190523-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20190523-WA0001.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I recognise that Clio! Hope it is going well. Had the same issue with my track car when running B14's.

I run without the wheel arch liners as they get destroyed. I have then just pushed the mounting further upwards and this prevented the rubbing. Only the slight amount of contact makes a horrendous noise. The B14'S are great shocks, but obviously there is no damping adjustment. Under hard braking and cornering they compress quite a bit.

Hope that makes sense and helps. @Tehxman116

There are quite a few previous topics on here regarding the same problem with other lowered 172/182.

Clio 2 RS172 Cup
I recognise that Clio! Hope it is going well. Had the same issue with my track car when running B14's.

I run without the wheel arch liners as they get destroyed. I have then just pushed the mounting further upwards and this prevented the rubbing. Only the slight amount of contact makes a horrendous noise. The B14'S are great shocks, but obviously there is no damping adjustment. Under hard braking and cornering they compress quite a bit.

Hope that makes sense and helps. @Tehxman116

There are quite a few previous topics on here regarding the same problem with other lowered 172/182.
Hey man! @Mbeau things are good. Hope all is well with you, too.

Thanks for the reply. I originally went with the B14s as I wanted the car to remain compliant for the road as that is mainly what it is used for.

It helps knowing you had the same issue, I should have searched a bit more for previous topics regarding the issue.

I had bent the bracket up a bit prior to this happening. I'm thinking I may just cut this bracket out to avoid this happening again. I'm reluctant to change the coilovers as I like how they ride.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I really loved the way mine drove on the B14's, they are great shocks for both road and track use. Car sits really nice too. The only reason I changed to BC coilovers was because I managed to get an almost new set for a bargain price.

Bending the bracket up sorted my problem. I had the same issue with shocks and lowering springs. If you cut the bracket then you will need to get something to secure the bumper as it holds it up.

The BC's I now run are lower than the B14'S and I get no scrubbing at all with the bracket bent up.

Just watch the video you posted. You look to be going really well! What tyres and brake pads you running?

Clio 2 RS172 Cup
I really loved the way mine drove on the B14's, they are great shocks for both road and track use. Car sits really nice too. The only reason I changed to BC coilovers was because I managed to get an almost new set for a bargain price.

Bending the bracket up sorted my problem. I had the same issue with shocks and lowering springs. If you cut the bracket then you will need to get something to secure the bumper as it holds it up.

The BC's I now run are lower than the B14'S and I get no scrubbing at all with the bracket bent up.

Just watch the video you posted. You look to be going really well! What tyres and brake pads you running?

I love how it handles on them too. More roll then I would like at high speed but I don't want to go stiffer. The ideal route to go is do what you've done and get a dedicated track car really

I'm running 205 45 16 Nankang NS2R tyres and PBS pads. I've got brake ducts on there too with ducting aimed at the discs / calipers which helps a lot.

e46 M3 + clio 172
This is happening with me as I've recently put apex springs on. Decided I'm gonna go coilovers but dont want to blow a load of money for it still to happen.
Ideally I want the stiffest ride possible with minimal drop, Looking at B14s but even with the smallest drop I'm worried its going to scrub.
Any suggestions for stiffer coilovers?

Clio 2 RS172 Cup
This is happening with me as I've recently put apex springs on. Decided I'm gonna go coilovers but dont want to blow a load of money for it still to happen.
Ideally I want the stiffest ride possible with minimal drop, Looking at B14s but even with the smallest drop I'm worried its going to scrub.
Any suggestions for stiffer coilovers?

I've now bent the brackets up as far as I can and flattened out the lip on them. Had to cut the bumper a little so it slots in just behind the lowest part of the bracket. Did an evening session at Donington yesterday and had no rubbing at all.

Just thought I'd give you an update!

Also to add, I bent the bracket up using a bar and a jack to press the bracket upwards. Much easier than wacking it with a hammer etc

Last edited:

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I've now bent the brackets up as far as I can and flattened out the lip on them. Had to cut the bumper a little so it slots in just behind the lowest part of the bracket. Did an evening session at Donington yesterday and had no rubbing at all.

Just thought I'd give you an update!

Also to add, I bent the bracket up using a bar and a jack to press the bracket upwards. Much easier than wacking it with a hammer etc
Got any pics of the bracket? My feeble mind is struggling to comprehend the bendage required to stop the scrubbing!

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Got any pics of the bracket? My feeble mind is struggling to comprehend the bendage required to stop the scrubbing!

It’s the little piece right at the tip of where the bumper is held on by a 10mm bolt. I’ve actually cut mine away with an angle grinder, I run AST’s with 90kg springs and wheel centre to arch measuring 315mm and it was still rubbing. It can’t rub anymore now it’s gone ?
Ps I tried bending it up first but it still rubbed ever so slightly so that’s why I cut it off completely. And as said above you will need to fit some thing to hold the wing up afterwards.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Not entirely true. It all depends how low your car is and how aggressive you are on track.
My car is pretty low on b14's, running 2118s and I only scrub slightly on the arch liner on very tight corners when gunning it. No issues on touching the bracket at all.

Not been on track to say it wouldn't be worse, but it's been fine for way over a year on the roads.

Clio 2 RS172 Cup
My car is pretty low on b14's, running 2118s and I only scrub slightly on the arch liner on very tight corners when gunning it. No issues on touching the bracket at all.

Not been on track to say it wouldn't be worse, but it's been fine for way over a year on the roads.
It would definitely be worse on track! On the Ring when it was a bit wet I had no issues. Soon as I went for a quick lap in the dry the above happened

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
A

Are 2118 et 43? Do you run spacers?
I run team dynamics et38 with 16mm spacers so maybe as my track is wider that i still rubbed. Plus I’m an animal on track ?

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
ET43 with 20mm spacers.

So basically similar track. So basically mines a track car only and I drive mine like I’ve stole it mostly and you use yours on the roads. The difference is you will never suffer the g forces a track car will suffer on the road. Sounds like to me.
Solution for road car = bending
Solution for track car = removal

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Mine is on B14's & sits low,i grinded smoothed back that corner bit & dont have any trouble now,but then mine is road use and not track.I did notice tho from changing tyre make to the PS3's it slightly rubs on the lining on full lock,but when i had the s-drive yokos in smae size did not.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Going to get mine up in the air tomorrow and have a look and see if this is what is rubbing on mine.

Mines rubbing like an absolute b*****d

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Hammer is your friend.

Luckily, my favourite tool. It rubbed on the stock shocks with Cooksports tbf and I'm not crazy low. It defo rubs more now. And on both sides. Sounds hideous when I tip in to a corner at any pace.