ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel Refurb Issues

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Just a quick one. Had my wheels refurbished by someone locally who has royally fucked it up. Rather than holding up is hands he’s blamed the wheels telling me it’s one of the worst quality sets he’s ever powder coated. Not having much knowledge of powder coating I have no idea if he’s telling the truth or trying to pull a fast one.

Pics of some of the pitting...

f8f4c44d6e5d1579f7ebab84822fcbdc.jpg

7ea36a6c83d635d09f342d1a03ae5dda.jpg

b2fa39dd5c4ca57f9c5223cd2fcfacaa.jpg

d32c881d9b7ac854e83da87820f9f125.jpg

42491a82ca2bfa423e44d16bcb8c7af4.jpg

04c1bc6cd461d0c1f92814c414c80980.jpg

He wants to redo them and has suggested leaving them in the oven for an extended amount of time to allow the alloy to gas. He reckons he’ll be able to improve them by 90%. He mentioned paying for just materials but if he thinks I’m paying the original quote (£320) + materials (for the second attempt) then he can do one.

Any thoughts or experiences of similar issues?

Last edited:

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Just a quick one. Had my wheels refurbished by someone locally who has royally fucked it up. Rather than holding up is hands he’s blamed the wheels telling me it’s one of the worst quality sets he’s ever powder coated. Not having much knowledge of powder coating I have no idea if he’s telling the truth or trying to pull a fast one.

Pics of some of the pitting...

View attachment 1427212

View attachment 1427213

View attachment 1427215

View attachment 1427216

View attachment 1427217

View attachment 1427218

He wants to redo them and has suggested leaving them in the oven for an extended amount of time to allow the alloy to gas. He reckons he’ll be able to improve them by 90%. He mentioned paying for just materials but if he thinks I’m paying the original quote (£320) + materials (for the second attempt) then he can do one.

Any thoughts or experiences of similar issues?
You paid 320 quid for a set of wheels to be powder coated?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Jesus!

Just shows how much of a bodge job he’s done on mine.

It’s pretty obvious it’s his workmanship, however, how can I argue that it isn’t the wheels and corrosion like he’s suggesting?

If he makes a hash of the second attempt (which is highly unlikely unless he rushed the first attempt) I’m going to have to tell him to do one.

Not nice telling a 70 year old OAP to f**k off lol.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Tell him you're not paying

Like balls I'd pay for that shower of s**t! He needs his head looking at and if he Carrie's on with all the nonsense then write up a naming and shaming post and see if they have a Facebook page

They'll soon come to realisation that they're in the wrong

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Mine look like that and I got the same excuse, "they were badly corroded so the powder didn't take". Err that's s**t preperation then isn't it? Mine were done twice and didn't get any better and I doubt your guy will sort them either. Get a refund and go elsewhere.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Mine look like that and I got the same excuse, "they were badly corroded so the powder didn't take". Err that's s**t preperation then isn't it? Mine were done twice and didn't get any better and I doubt your guy will sort them either. Get a refund and go elsewhere.

He said that with the increase in oven time he’ll be able to improve the overall quality by 90%. This will be my excuse for getting out of payment if his second attempt is a complete shower of s**t.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
He said that with the increase in oven time he’ll be able to improve the overall quality by 90%. This will be my excuse for getting out of payment if his second attempt is a complete shower of s**t.
Why didnt he do that the first time and take pride in what he does

Hate them sort of people, they do half a job and expect people to just be fine with it. If it happens again I'd pick the wheels up and just walk out, take someone with you so you can both carry 2 at the same time so he cant hide the others while you're walking out??

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Why didnt he do that the first time and take pride in what he does

Hate them sort of people, they do half a job and expect people to just be fine with it. If it happens again I'd pick the wheels up and just walk out, take someone with you so you can both carry 2 at the same time so he cant hide the others while you're walking out[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Good question. I asked and he said my wheels are the exception, most only need an hour.

Unfortunately my car is sat on his jacks so if I take the wheels he’ll probably try dropping the car on its disks lol.

83d659eb6f07349a42387ad201f81dd0.jpg

My concern is him having a heart attack when I refuse to pay lol.

The state of your wheels shouldn't be a problem. He's not bothered to do any prep work before the powder coating.
They look f**king s**t!

Clio 172
I'd ask for a full refund or get him to get them done again at his cost to your satisfaction. If he don't play ball complain to trading standards. Is there a known issue with refurbishing Honda wheels ? I doubt there is

Westfield, 182, 200
I had some motorbike wheels come out like that in the 80's!

From memory, they leave them in an oven to allow the gases to escape.

I've used city powder coaters in Birmingham. They are cheap and I wouldn't say show standard, but they are pretty damned good and a bargain price. Will be getting the wife's 200 wheels done there soon.