ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What's the view on the V6, have they peaked?

200,182 Trophy, Cup
I keep dipping my toe in the V6 water but I fear I am possibly a couple of years late to the party. Cars which have been sitting in ads for ages at £30k could have been had back then for less than £20k. Tom at Divine even has one at nearly £60k !!!

There seems to be very little moving in the V6 market at the moment. I would love one but at the moment it's a bit like dabbling on the stock exchange.

What's the general view on this, accepting no car should really be bought based on a sound investment proposition.

Renault Clio V6 255
This isn't exclusive to the Clio V6.

There has been a lot of increase in the price of classic cars over the past few years.

It seems clear that we're reaching or have reached the top of the market.

People watch auctions with interest and all of a sudden, everybody says "I'd sell mine for that".

In the pistonheads classifieds there are:

13 Ferrari F40s
26 Honda NSXs
12 E30 M3s

If you have followed the pistonheads classifieds like I have, you'll know that these are big numbers.

In any case, I'd expect the rare stuff to weather the storm (but sales will stagnate a bit) and the price of more ordinary stuff will fall. If you're willing to hold on, there will be another bubble along soon enough.

I have just purchased a Clio V6.

I watched a car that was advertised for 35K drop to 32K, before picking it up at 30.6K. A few days later a near identical car (in terms of colour, history, condition and mileage) sold at auction for 38K.

I didn't buy the car as an investment; I really do plan on using it. However, I do expect that it won't suffer much (read: probably any) depreciation if I look after it and hang on for at least three or four years.

Come on into the water! It's still warm.

Thomas

Renault Clio V6 255
This is pretty accurate:

PHASE ONE - 230
Condition
poor/high miles - £17,000+
good/average miles - £20,000+
very good/low miles - £25,000+
Concourse/ultra low mileage - £30,000+

PHASE TWO - 255
Condition
poor/high miles - £22,000+
good/average miles - £28,000+
very good/low miles - £35,000+
Concourse/ultra low mileage - £45,000+

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I think tidy ones with low miles FSH, in rare colours will continue to rise. I just wish I had bought a Mk2 V6 a few years ago when they were around the 13k mark.

Renault Clio V6 255
I am lucky that I found a very good one with low miles. If that hadn't been the case then I would have been more than happy with an enthusiast-owned example with higher miles.

The only thing that tends to suffer is the interior, but that could be rectified with a set of trendlines?

But cheap and daily it!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I can't believe I could have bought a V6 for 9-12k easily few years back :(

Suzuki Jimny
This isn't exclusive to the Clio V6.

There has been a lot of increase in the price of classic cars over the past few years.

It seems clear that we're reaching or have reached the top of the market.

People watch auctions with interest and all of a sudden, everybody says "I'd sell mine for that".

In the pistonheads classifieds there are:

13 Ferrari F40s
26 Honda NSXs
12 E30 M3s

If you have followed the pistonheads classifieds like I have, you'll know that these are big numbers.

In any case, I'd expect the rare stuff to weather the storm (but sales will stagnate a bit) and the price of more ordinary stuff will fall. If you're willing to hold on, there will be another bubble along soon enough.

I have just purchased a Clio V6.

I watched a car that was advertised for 35K drop to 32K, before picking it up at 30.6K. A few days later a near identical car (in terms of colour, history, condition and mileage) sold at auction for 38K.

I didn't buy the car as an investment; I really do plan on using it. However, I do expect that it won't suffer much (read: probably any) depreciation if I look after it and hang on for at least three or four years.

Come on into the water! It's still warm.

Thomas

I have already read this post on pistonheads, ground hog day!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Great investment tbh.

I was never a fan tbf. Awaits the hate lol.

Wish I was a fan when they were 10k and could see into the future.

I had always wanted one! I went down Chadwell Heath in Essex & a place had three silver Phase 1's in for £23k each, un-registered etc. I got mine about four years after that.
And when I went to see it, I'd never even seen a Phase 1 in blue.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's not just the V6 it's the market. Lot more money swirling about now and a lot of investment in cars.

A few auctions recently showed a struggle to attain big values and never reached near asking prices. Quite a few rarer ferraris seemed to struggle.

Always a market and always a guy somewhere who has lots of money now who wanted a certain car as a kid.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Happens all the time though, not so long ago people went mental for E-Types, then the price of those fell back down.
Modern Classics are all the rage right now, people buying collector cars for big money.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
When I bought my 197 five years ago, ph1s were £7k and ph2s were £15k!

I just couldn't insure one so I went with the 197 :(

I think they peaked a little too early imo. Low £30s seems reasonable at the moment for a decent one, but you see people trying their luck with £40+k

That low mile yellow one is in amazing condition, but I think it's priced too high for anyone who wants one. And I don't know if many car collectors over here will want a £60k clio, despite it being a v6.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I keep dipping my toe in the V6 water but I fear I am possibly a couple of years late to the party. Cars which have been sitting in ads for ages at £30k could have been had back then for less than £20k. Tom at Divine even has one at nearly £60k !!!

There seems to be very little moving in the V6 market at the moment. I would love one but at the moment it's a bit like dabbling on the stock exchange.

What's the general view on this, accepting no car should really be bought based on a sound investment proposition.

You have well & truly missed the boat im afraid - peak opportunity was 2010 for a mainstream V6 - A decent 30k non ID PH2 could have been had for 13-16k...

V6s are selling however only the good ones.
I sold one within a couple of weeks if listing it but the key is being 100% original / low miles ( ideally sub 25k ) & belts at SG motorsport.

I can 100% say the dealer ones arent selling because
A) The dealers are clueless
B ) There greedy fu*kers
C ) The cars are poorly prepped
D ) The mostly need cambelts

So dealers are buying them in from ebay / auction for mid 20s - putting zero prep on them then punting them out for low 30s hoping for 5-7k margin - muppets.

Buyers are not stupid, & they can see through it - if traders just invested maybe 1.5-2k of that margin & prepared the car properly then they would sell....
Also the valuations for phase 1s ( mainly silver ) is to high. Noone really wants them & if ive got 20k then I will hold out for a phase 2..

27-28 will get you a decent black / blue car sub 40k phase 2 maybe less if work required
Budget £2k at scotts for cambelt + sundries....

200,182 Trophy, Cup
You have well & truly missed the boat im afraid - peak opportunity was 2010 for a mainstream V6 - A decent 30k non ID PH2 could have been had for 13-16k...

V6s are selling however only the good ones.
I sold one within a couple of weeks if listing it but the key is being 100% original / low miles ( ideally sub 25k ) & belts at SG motorsport.

I can 100% say the dealer ones arent selling because
A) The dealers are clueless
B ) There greedy fu*kers
C ) The cars are poorly prepped
D ) The mostly need cambelts

So dealers are buying them in from ebay / auction for mid 20s - putting zero prep on them then punting them out for low 30s hoping for 5-7k margin - muppets.

Buyers are not stupid, & they can see through it - if traders just invested maybe 1.5-2k of that margin & prepared the car properly then they would sell....
Also the valuations for phase 1s ( mainly silver ) is to high. Noone really wants them & if ive got 20k then I will hold out for a phase 2..

27-28 will get you a decent black / blue car sub 40k phase 2 maybe less if work required
Budget £2k at scotts for cambelt + sundries....

Thanks for that, seems to be a well balanced assessment, certainly of the trader situation. Think I'm going to sit on my hands fir now....probably regret it too

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I don't think the V6 will drop in value so your money would be quite safe if you buy the right car. Not sure if Duncan (admin on V6Clio.net) @ddouble still logs on to CS but he is man to talk to if you're looking for one.

I'm not sure anyone ever bought one as an investment, I know I didn't. But as luck would have it, I'd do quite well if I were to sell :cool:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
It's a brave soul who buys a car purely for investment, you really need to know the market to do that.
Seen a fair few either loose money or just do sod all as they bought at the wrong price.

Cars which have been sitting in ads for ages at £30k could have been had back then for less than £20k.

Just on these points, the good cars are still selling and quickly. Most v6s these days sell privately without appearing on pistonheads etc. More frequently they are also selling at auction for big bucks!

The cars that are sat for sale for months on end, are as Steve rightly says, are ill prepared cars that are advertised for 5-7 grand more than they sold for just a few weeks earlier. They also tend to be cars with a bad or missing little history. Which when you can have a better car for less...

You can still pick up good cars for under 25k if your timing is right and your ear is close to the ground. I see it happen all the time.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than 35k for one, but at 25k to 30k there's nothing I'd rather own.

I don't think they will ever go down in value, so it's not quite like the stock exchange - unless you pay over the odds for one! But the boom period is over for now and whilst it will hold its value and be a lot of fun, it will cost money to run and there are many better investments.

Have you seen the red Phase 1 on eBay mate ? You probably have, it has been around for ages. It looks nice, but they're asking £27k.

Renault Clio V6 255
There is a lovely phase one for sale on v6clio.net at the moment.

It's a mars red example with only 26k on the clock.

The owner was looking for £23k, but the general feeling is that he had underpriced it based on an old valuation thread.

Have you seen the red Phase 1 on eBay mate ? You probably have, it has been around for ages. It looks nice, but they're asking £27k.
Yes I have, indeed looks a pretty good car (minus the chav headlights) but a bit rich on price... depends how clean it is underneath and how good it is up close if it's worth that.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
I sold my first Acid Yellow 8 years ago for £14.5k due to redundancy. That would be worth in excess of 30k now.

Still I got my current V6 for a good price so not all bad :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I recall seeing an illiad blue for sale at 8.5k in 2009/2010. I believe the boy took months to sell it at that money lol.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
I couldn't sell mine for 10k in 2010 so part X'd it :(

Evo 5 RS
They have a long way before they crash. As said already, it's not just the V6 market, either. Lots of cars going up. Tommy Mak Evo's going in excess of 45k now. You could pick one up 6 years ago for 10k.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It's a brave soul who buys a car purely for investment, you really need to know the market to do that.
Seen a fair few either loose money or just do sod all as they bought at the wrong price.
Really??

The way new cars are going (s**t) tells me that the older stuff hasn't even Begun to climb properly in value yet.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Really??

The way new cars are going (s**t) tells me that the older stuff hasn't even Begun to climb properly in value yet.

Depends on how long you're willing to hold onto it, and what price you can buy it at.

Case in point, Classic Mini's:

Lots of people bought up final model Mini's before they finished production in 2000, stuck em in a garage or whatever expecting big money.
They're creeping back onto the market now, circa £15k-£20k, tidy little profit for £10k-£15k investment right??
Well not really, it's been 17 years since they ceased production, thats not a great return considering the initial investment and the time they've been sat around.

Sure given another 20-30 years they might be mental money, but that would require someone to have literally sat on the same car for their entire life (to get max profit)

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Wait while interest rates start to rise then people start putting their money in other investments. Que classic car market down turn.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Wait while interest rates start to rise then people start putting their money in other investments. Que classic car market down turn.

or the rise of electric vehicles causes the arse to fall out of the market for IC vehicles, leaving only museum pieces being worth any actual money.