ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What Trolley Jack

Clio 182
Looking to purchase a trolley jack and axel stands.

Looking at a £60/70 budget

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
SGS here too, wont reach to jack from the subframe if lowered but I just drive onto a few pieces of ply

406 V6, Race Buggy
I have an SGS lightweight one, worst jack I ever bought, leaks, sinks, been back for repairs, still sinks, sent it back with the wrong handle....complete waste of space. Chinese box shifters pretending to be high quality.

Had no issues with the Arcan and RED aluminium ones though.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a few Sealey ones and a few cheap jobbies. None have really let me down but they all struggle as time has gone on and they've had some good abuse! I prefer the Sealey low profile one I have with the swivel jacking head so you can jack the car up but not have the bar hit the fence/wall

The part circled in red swivels so you can jack up at any angle you want (I can't find the sealey variant :( ) It's only a 2 tonne one and it struggles a tiny bit when you start to lift anything heavier than a Vectra.

Next one I get is gonna be a dual piston 3 tonne Arcan from Costco because I'm sick of farting about replacing seals and oiling them up when I try hoiking my Megane a foot into the air. The other ones will be demoted to lifting gearboxes/subframes/axles into and out of cars, probably got about 6 or 7 jacks in the garage now just sat doing nowt ?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I've got a few Sealey ones and a few cheap jobbies. None have really let me down but they all struggle as time has gone on and they've had some good abuse! I prefer the Sealey low profile one I have with the swivel jacking head so you can jack the car up but not have the bar hit the fence/wall

The part circled in red swivels so you can jack up at any angle you want (I can't find the sealey variant :( ) It's only a 2 tonne one and it struggles a tiny bit when you start to lift anything heavier than a Vectra.

View attachment 1428617

Next one I get is gonna be a dual piston 3 tonne Arcan from Costco because I'm sick of farting about replacing seals and oiling them up when I try hoiking my Megane a foot into the air. The other ones will be demoted to lifting gearboxes/subframes/axles into and out of cars, probably got about 6 or 7 jacks in the garage now just sat doing nowt ?
Not many jacks lift 2 tonne. You’re never lifting the full weight of the car on its own though..it’s either a corner or one side so the weight of the entire car doesn’t come into play. Your jack must be buggered unless you’re lifting hgvs!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
The 3 Ton SGS one i've got looks similar to the Arcan one currently for sale at Costco for £120, but mine is lower profile and heavier ?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Not many jacks lift 2 tonne. You’re never lifting the full weight of the car on its own though..it’s either a corner or one side so the weight of the entire car doesn’t come into play. Your jack must be buggered unless you’re lifting hgvs!
Aye I know that mate, but when they've been used every weekend for the past 5 years or so they start to go weak? It has no issues lifting the full frontal weight of a clio mind.

You can just tell it's not happy about jacking up the drivers side of a Megane derv which is on the nearer side of 2 tonne

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member

View attachment 1428617

The sgs one swivels like this mate

406 V6, Race Buggy
Replacing seals and oiling up?

Does that fact that I have never even thought about doing this to my SGS not say something about the quality?

I have to service my SGS jack more than I use the damned thing.
I'm about to rip the thing to pieces and replace all the hydraulics with parts not made out of toffee with a hand file by an 8 year old chinese kid, but I'm not sure if the frame is even worth the effort.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182

View attachment 1428617

That's identical to me SGS but in a different colour, mines begun do slowly drop so must need a seal replacing. Swivel head is a godsend!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
My Halfords one has been used a few times a week for 15yrs, been spot on, going to replace it with one of the Costco ones soon though and promote the Halfords one to the back of the van

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
I geeked out on spec for ages. Had the machine mart one for about 18 months now and its been solid. It had the back end of a Clio up for about 3 weeks once with no sinking. I was looking at max lift capacity, weight, max height and minimum height and this performed best overall. It slides under my mk3 on coilovers with plenty of clearance. Pricey but buy once.

George_220

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio RS200 Cup
Mine is a Sealey RJAS1500 low entry brilliant jack good quality light and sturdy! Got mine for £99 and if you go on demontweeks now they’re selling two sealey axel stands for about £20

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Replacing seals and oiling up?

Does that fact that I have never even thought about doing this to my SGS not say something about the quality?

...and today my ever reliable SGS jack left my Cayman on an axle stand, seals completely f***ed. I had the 107 up in the morning servicing it and replacing the front brakes, then had no hint of a problem getting the Cayman up, but when I came to bring it down the saddle was dropping as quickly as I could pump it up. Luckily I have an old rusty cheapo one that just about managed to lift it off :ROFLMAO:

So I've just gone and ordered one of these; https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tjl2-2-tonne-low-profile-trolley-jack

After a quick hunt no one else gets near that price for something low-profile and high-lift, and at £29.99 it's a consumable I can live with.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It's a consumable you can live with until it drops a car on you in which case it becomes a consumable you can die with.

My Halfords one is epic, love using it. And it's not like their cheap ones.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
...and today my ever reliable SGS jack left my Cayman on an axle stand, seals completely f***ed. I had the 107 up in the morning servicing it and replacing the front brakes, then had no hint of a problem getting the Cayman up, but when I came to bring it down the saddle was dropping as quickly as I could pump it up. Luckily I have an old rusty cheapo one that just about managed to lift it off :ROFLMAO:

So I've just gone and ordered one of these; https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tjl2-2-tonne-low-profile-trolley-jack

After a quick hunt no one else gets near that price for something low-profile and high-lift, and at £29.99 it's a consumable I can live with.

You missed the thread where everyone was slating their jacks for poor quality and terrible reliability?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It's a consumable you can live with until it drops a car on you in which case it becomes a consumable you can die with.

If you get under a car supported only by a trolley jack you deserve that fate, don't you?

You missed the thread where everyone was slating their jacks for poor quality and terrible reliability?

It has a two year guarantee, if it lasts half that, for £29.99 I'm happy enough. It will only get used once every couple of months, maybe 10 times a year at the most, so it'll do.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
If you get under a car supported only by a trolley jack you deserve that fate, don't you?
True, but it'll always get ya when you least expect it and either way it could still be a fooked brake disc or something. Plus that Halfords one is so nice to use with the quiet wheels, quick lift pedal etc.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

Why would you be getting under a car that's being supported solely by a jack?

That's biblically stupid. There is absolutely no way a failed jack can cause injury to someone should the correct procedure be carried out.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Why would you be getting under a car that's being supported solely by a jack?

That's biblically stupid. There is absolutely no way a failed jack can cause injury to someone should the correct procedure be carried out.
See above. I doubt many people deliberately get under cars which are on jacks but you haven't worked on cars much if you haven't ever accidentally reached too far underneath to get an axle stand that's fallen over or a spanner or something and on reflection thought that was a bit silly. And really I just wrote that because the pun was too tempting. My main concern would be dropping the car, not me lol.