ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What’s happened here?

monaco 172
Mine’s just on 100,000 so not that much higher, but l think 100,000 is a psychological number and a car with even 97,000 will be worth more, even though it makes no actual difference.
I totally agree, I watch plenty of cars on eBay as my mate is into buying and selling. He won't touch anything with 100k plus as it seems to be a magical number which as soon as a car gets to, it is worth next to nothing.

So asking top dollar for a car with such mileage will be difficult to sell even if the car is spotless.

If love to drop 3600 on your car but the issue will be when I come to sell it in 2 years and it's got 120k on the clock nobody will want it.

Land Rover
Well, most cars that are 15 + years old are going to have that mileage.
I looked at several low mileage 182’s and the condition was no better, in fact worse in many cases.

monaco 172
Well, most cars that are 15 + years old are going to have that mileage.
I looked at several low mileage 182’s and the condition was no better, in fact worse in many cases.

I agree mate. My mate has just bought a 63k mile monaco but id take my 120k monaco any day of the week.

I'm always skeptical of a low mileage 15 year old car, it screams mileage correction service to me, as if done properly before each MOT nobody will ever know..

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
It is completely physiological, I would buy a car in worse condition with 60k on it than a mint example with 90+k, you can (normally) make a rough car mint with enough time, money and patience but you can't (can't really) reduce the number of miles it has done.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I have no idea why the cups sell for more? Rarity I guess?

Is it even that though, I mean it's not like there's a mega shortage of them for sale, they come up often.

I wonder if some people assume the 182 Cup is the better car and overlook the FF cars.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Is it even that though, I mean it's not like there's a mega shortage of them for sale, they come up often.

I wonder if some people assume the 182 Cup is the better car and overlook the FF cars.

I have no idea, I know that when I initially started looking for a 182 I knew nothing about them and was looking at cups just because I made the assumption that the cup was better than the ff. After lots of reading I restricted my search to FF cars with cup packs only because they were the same price (or less) and have a substantially nicer interior imo.

So wonder if people make the same assumption that I did?

Either way, I still cannot believe how good they are for the money, 1-2k gets you something that works and is fun - can't think of too many other cars with so many grins per £ spent.

Land Rover
The thing is with these cars, and it’s something l have learnt since l bought mine, is they are not yet classics.
So you cannot expect to buy one, run it for two years, and then get your money back when you sell it.
So as mentioned above, if someone was to buy my 182 and then put 20,000 miles on it, it’s going to be worth less.
Not a lot less, certainly a lot better than buying a newer car where depreciation is a factor.
But the Clio 172/182 has not yet arrived at the stage where you can buy a good one for £2-4,000, use it for a year or two, then sell it on for a profit.

Unless you buy one for next to nothing and do it Up. Say under £1,000. But at that price you’ll probably have to spend £2,000+ to get it to the point where it will be worth £1500-2,000.

Land Rover
I was meaning more, that if you buy a solid useable 172/182 for £1-2,000 and then spend a further £2,000+ doing all the work on it, then you are unlikely to find that it’s then worth all the money you’ve spent.

Unlike (say) a Land Rover Defender where you can buy at £10,000, spend £2,000 on it, keep it four years and 50,000 miles, and it then be worth £14,000+

PH2 172
I was meaning more, that if you buy a solid useable 172/182 for £1-2,000 and then spend a further £2,000+ doing all the work on it, then you are unlikely to find that it’s then worth all the money you’ve spent.

Unlike (say) a Land Rover Defender where you can buy at £10,000, spend £2,000 on it, keep it four years and 50,000 miles, and it then be worth £14,000+

I`m sorry, but I`m not the kind of boy that had a poster of a Land Rover on my bedroom wall.

Land Rover
Neither was l.

In fact l didn’t have any car posters on my wall, l wasn’t really into cars as a kid.
I didn’t get my Land Rover until l was much older, bought because l was fed up losing money on vans.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member

I think it really depends on what work you do your self. These are seriously cheap cars to maintain and fix from a parts perspective. Bought mine for £1000 with 74k on it, by the time its had suspension (everything), belts, water pump and a clutch etc. I will have spent around £800, with a little body work it will be really tidy.

I don't expect to make money on it, but its fun and economical and I know I won't loose money on it (if that makes sense). Where spending 4k on one, you are basically guaranteed to loose money but the advantage is you get to jump into a well sorted and reliable car which needs nothing. The difference is in the labor.

Land Rover
Yes l think you are right there.
I spent £2,000 on the gearbox, clutch, driveshafts, belts and aircon.
I have done a lot of other things myself basically smaller jobs like speaker wiring, HT leads, replacing the gear lever, Waxoyl, etc
But l don’t have the facilities to remove a gearbox for instance.

dan's cast offs.
I'd say location has almost as big an effect on price as mileage, some people will give a list as long as your arm what they want in a car and then say it's got to be within 25 miles of them!!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I think the value of these has nearly bottomed, I would not be surprised if we saw them gently increase over the next few years. Not sure I can be bothered to hold out that long! But they do deserve to be worth more than they are.

Land Rover
Well yes, one just sold quickly for £4500
Where my FF which is probably about the same even down to the colour is unsold at nearly £1,000 less.

Land Rover
The car is still not repaired

The first set of injectors from Renparts seem to have become lost in the post.

They have promised to send another set, but
the replacement set won’t be sent until Monday.

PH2 172

You should have had an email linking to a tracking number.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member

Well that's (not) surprising. Should have just gone to ecp. Actually, cancel them and go to ecp now. I'll bet you don't have anything from them next week.

PH2 172
Click and collect ?

Using discount code XMAS75 I`m still getting £44.21 each & my local branch only has 2 in stock.

Anyway, this is what pisses me off, if I can buy 5 litres of oil from them for £17 on a Sunday, and they are making a profit, why should I be expected to pay more

on a Wednesday?

PH2 172
Just get ecp to price match renparts?

I was thinking that their pricing is just like all the car parts shops in Luton, always trying to rip you off, and then I found this to confirm it.

The company was founded when Sukhpal Singh Ahluwalia opened a motor parts shop in Willesden, North West London, in 1978. Euro Car Parts now have two hundred branches nationwide, having opened their 200th branch in Moss Lane, Manchester, United Kingdom, in December.

Land Rover
Finally the injectors have arrived from Renparts!

image.jpg

Land Rover
Well, it seems Renparts did dispatch the injectors last Tuesday as promised.

The original parcel arrived today, looking like it had been around a bit.
So l need to send one of the sets back to them.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
That's very honest of you.

A lot would sit on both sets and wait for any come back.

Land Rover
All fixed

Four new injectors new HT leads (gen) and runs better than ever.

Nice to have it back on the road, just needs the EML resetting.
I assume it will stay on until reset? On my BMW although the fault remained in the memory the EML would go out after a certain number of “good” engine starts were detected.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
All fixed

Four new injectors new HT leads (gen) and runs better than ever.

Nice to have it back on the road, just needs the EML resetting.
I assume it will stay on until reset? On my BMW although the fault remained in the memory the EML would go out after a certain number of “good” engine starts were detected.
Yeah buy a cheap obd reader and clear the codes.
The £5 eBay ones will do