ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Walkie Talkies

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Hi folks.

Summer is coming which means there will be lots of meets going on, and where there are meets, there are convoys!

One of the main problems with convoys is communication. I think we've all been in the situation where we're screaming out the window on the motorway trying to tell someone that we need fuel/a piss/a rest, or been in the second half of a convoy that's been unceremoniously cut in half by a set of traffic lights.

How would CS feel about everyone plumping for a particular brand/model of walkie talkie, to use at local and national meets?

I'd imagine they'd be a right riot at CSF and would allow multi-region convoys to all talk to each other, as well as obviously being invaluable at local meets.

For example, Motorola's TLKR T40 walkie talkies have a 4km range, run on AAAs, and can be had for as little as £11 apiece.

I'm thinking that at first we could organise a group buy of these walkie talkies, and then maybe even stock them in the CS store for new joiners to buy. Area reps could also maybe keep a couple of spares, again in case new joiners need them.

Are any regions currently extensively using walkie talkies, that the rest of us could look at adopting? Otherwise we have a pretty clean sheet to start from.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
As a radio communications engineer, you'll not get 4km range car to car. Maybe in a 4km open flat field

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Coming from a bike back ground, they've always been a little bit vital for meets as everyone rode at a different pace. The front runner (as I found out by taking the bike on a cs meet) can end up a fair few miles in front. Handy for keeping people up dated to any issues on route as they could relay it to the middle and back runners.