ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Volvo 940 TDIC Project

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Prices have gone silly in the past 5 - 10 years, I used to pay £500 for excellent condition 940 turbos before they were ''scene'',
but basically
Anything with a turbo and in good condition for the old 700 or 900 series
Anything not rotten in the old 200 series
Anything with 5 or more cylinders and a turbo on newer stuff
Estates are always better than saloons, ALWAYS !

I prefer the 740 saloons. I think they look class!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
wtf do you know you sold the best Volvo ever made twice ?

No regrets.....

3F74471B-3478-4EF6-B322-6C697B4B8ADF.jpeg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Seen this 940 Manual, B230T 16T? £1600

• Enclosed filter I think it’s an ITG but I can’t remember
• NGK BPR7ES Spark plugs
• Uprated injectors – ME7 Blues (resistor pack modded)
• EZK set of chips from Stoni:
Extended main fuel map to 6800rpm
Rev limiter set to 6800rpm
Air mass meter limiter map set to maximum (colloquial: Fuel-Cut)
Better acceleration
Several modifications to get the mixture leaner
Improved consumption over the complete power band
• Only run on V power fuel
• 16T fitted with angular flange for better flow – 3” all the way!
• Custom made SS 3” downpipe with V bands for easy removal
• SS 3” QTP exhaust Y pipe on flex pipe after downpipe
• Electric 3” QTP valve on one branch – means you can have it fully open and go for a straight through 3” system, can also close it for differing tones – the controller toggle switch is on the dash. The valve is being temperamental at the moment though… seems to get stuck then suddenly start working again, I took it apart and it’s all working but then sometimes sticks when on the car.
• Other branch reduces down to original diameter going to Volvo Catalytic convertor and then brand new full exhaust system just fitted for the MOT
• V band connections up to the Cat which makes so much easier
• Means the exhaust can be mental straight through loud or nice and calm/quiet and MOT friendly – perfect in my opinion but I guess I’m getting old.
• Turbo Smart Two stage boost controller – I haven’t seen many of these, there’s basically a unit in the engine bay with two settings controlled by two adjustable regulators, this then links to a rocker switch on the dash for low/high boost. It’s nice to flick it up, makes you feel like you’re in top gun. I leave it on low which is about 10psi but with the exhaust open more like 12psi. On high Its at approx. 16psi.
• Boost Gauge
• Catch Can

42725030830_51a05a8e33_b-jpg.jpg

30664170958_e781a99504_b-jpg.jpg

535d / t5 caravelle
this must be nearing the end of its shelf life, I'm ready for your next project [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
this must be nearing the end of its shelf life, I'm ready for your next project [emoji6]

I’ve got the sax coming back at some point hopefully.

I want to get another 2-3 years out of this car. You know you’re getting old when you’re more than happy pootling around in a diesel smoker.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Been offered a swap for the Volvo.

2008 mondeo diesel in titanium spec.

175k, 12 months mot, few marks but seems ok.

00D24A4F-338F-44EF-9203-65E0CCD013BA.jpeg
3D108F41-E531-4B9A-83B7-D2FB0BB5C44F.jpeg

On paper it seems a bit of a no brainer really but I just think I’ll get bored of the mondeo pretty quickly.

It’s mapped and makes 180bhp and a lot of torque, decat and dpf delete.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
decat and dpf delete.

Have you got a mate to sort the MOT if that stuff has been chopped out?

Alot of people have been trying to offload cars with the DPF ripped out because they know it won't pass a genuine MOT.

535d / t5 caravelle
mondeo looks like a nice place to be, bet it would make a nice daily, ( for all of a month or 2 )

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member

Alot of people have been trying to offload cars with the DPF ripped out because they know it won't pass a genuine MOT.
From what I have been told it is a visual inspection and they don't go looking for it. But if there is evidence of it being removed, or a bad job then yeah they will fail.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

This .

My mate has his own garage and MOT station and he says he's had a lot more people lately asking to turn a blind eye.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
If you’re going for a Mondeo then go for the 2.2 TDCi

The 2.0 are terrible for injectors, EGR faults and DMF’s just going at any given point without a tremendous amount of warning[emoji23]

Before I bought my Megane I looked into the 2.2 TitX MK3’s and most of them were 200k+ miles. The lower mileage’d ones I viewed were ropey as f**k

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
If you’re going for a Mondeo then go for the 2.2 TDCi

The 2.0 are terrible for injectors, EGR faults and DMF’s just going at any given point without a tremendous amount of warning[emoji23]

Before I bought my Megane I looked into the 2.2 TitX MK3’s and most of them were 200k+ miles. The lower mileage’d ones I viewed were ropey as f**k

MK4 doesn't suffer the same issues as the MK3 I don't think.

I'd take that over the Volvo in a heartbeat to be honest. As it's a daily, I'd take modern refinement all day long.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Nah keep the Volvo it has soul, And when was the last time you heard someone say
" Hey do you remember the time we went on a trip in your modern reliable comfortable car and nothing happened "
anyone can drive something modern, it takes a true car person to run an old car just for the experience.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I’m absolutely positive the mondeo will be the better car in every way.

I’d still keep the Volvo :)

Oh and on the DPF stuff it’s changed - apart from the visual test they’ve tightened up the smoke test so a car that should have a DPF but doesn’t is very likey to fail. Lot of cars getting caught out now.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
From what I have been told it is a visual inspection and they don't go looking for it. But if there is evidence of it being removed, or a bad job then yeah they will fail.

Yep pretty much, if it's been badly done and they can see then it fails.
There was a flood of cheap diesels on the market this summer because of it tho and if the advert said DPF removed then you had a good excuse to kick em in the shins for it.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Fensport just finished a 240 that might get you back in an Estate.

46831234_2350846781655892_7403092681229860864_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

47138247_2350846848322552_7190159107616145408_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

47026314_2350846908322546_5284058136389353472_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

46741305_2350846714989232_3250096280818417664_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

2JZGE VVTi with a Garrett GTC3788 turbo, custom equal flow plenum, ID1050x injectors, 1NZ coil on plug, twin fuel pumps, Link G4+ Fury ECU, BMW 530d 6 Speed box and RTC Short Shifter. Around 500bhp although the goal is to see how much power it takes to throw a rod!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Surely that's just a disaster waiting to happen, putting all that power through those skinny tyres. Has it had much done to the suspension?