ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very tight spark-plugs?

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
They are very very tight. Are they normally so tight? Im struggling to move them. And one looks like it's rusty. Also there seems to be alot of oil around my rocker? Any ideas thanks.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Be prepared to find them cross-threaded or otherwise completely fucked.

Ali head so they should never be put in particularly tight in the first place.

RB Clio 182
Use a bigger ratchet and make sure you are turning the right way.

Try nipping the bolts on the rocker up.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
Righty tightly lefty loosy. Okay well I just broke my plug tool. So their da mn tight.

PH2 172
Try tightening the plugs by 10 degrees before attempting to remove them.
And fit replacements with a dab of copperslip!

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
@STEVE.M @Mr. Plums @R3k1355 thanks for your help, I've finally got them out and well. I've seen better. And they were really cross threaded.
RuCpzfz.jpg

Nice new shiny ones in now. And some pictures of my car.
blvUWej.jpg

kDCW9FQ.jpg

Trying to keep her stock and cleaned up. Previous owners didn't look after her.

RB Clio 182
@STEVE.M @Mr. Plums @R3k1355 thanks for your help, I've finally got them out and well. I've seen better. And they were really cross threaded.
RuCpzfz.jpg

Nice new shiny ones in now. And some pictures of my car.
blvUWej.jpg

kDCW9FQ.jpg

Trying to keep her stock and cleaned up. Previous owners didn't look after her.
You have two pem plugs and two different ones lol.

I bet your car is buzzing its chops off now it has a caring owner :)

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
@James the same pleb I imagine who put a hellfrauds special induction kit on that was so poorly fitted I don't think the air actually got to the engine.

@Mr. Plums you have no idea lol, I wish I'd taken more pictures when I brought it. Bad induction kit. Wheels that had been scraped around every curb in the UK I think. Scaffolding pole for a silencer. A backbox that looked like it had been shot at with a sub machine gun not to mention it was hanging off the cat the whole exhaust. 3 years I've had her. Almost 99k she runs like a dream. I'd like to get round to really cleaning up the engine bay. There seems to be a small deposit of dirty something that's resting in the bottom section of the Inlet manifold I think it's a mix of oil and water. Which concerns me a bit. As to where it's come from.

RB Clio 182
Its the first time you have changed the plugs in three years?

The first thing i do when i get a car is plugs, oil/filter and air filter.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
Its the first time you have changed the plugs in three years?

The first thing i do when i get a car is plugs, oil/filter and air filter.

I do. But the garage I brought it from told me it had been serviced once they got it. I saw no reason to doubt them. But clearly they are idiots or just liers and I'm more gullable than I thought. I do oil change every 2 years as I don't do a great amount of miles.

RB Clio 182
I do. But the garage I brought it from told me it had been serviced once they got it. I saw no reason to doubt them. But clearly they are idiots or just liers and I'm more gullable than I thought. I do oil change every 2 years as I don't do a great amount of miles.
Its always worth doing mate for the sake of a £100 or so.

Oil goes off over time by the way, thats why its normally advised to change it after 1 year, or 'x' amount of miles.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

Every year is advisable. I do mine twice or so a year because I use it on track too.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
@Mr. Plums £100!! normally costs me £35 elf oil, sump washer and filter. From Renault parts. What fancy oil you using lol. I did Mobil 3000 first time round. Tbh I got some work to do under hood. Need to change ht leads. Want to get a new expansion tank. And want to get new bolts and bits since current ones look rusty and horrible.

@Knuckles oh right! I'll get round to changing it then next week I should have time. How do you normally change filter? I can't find my tool anywhere had a little thing made my life easier.

RB Clio 182
@Mr. Plums £100!! normally costs me £35 elf oil, sump washer and filter. From Renault parts. What fancy oil you using lol. I did Mobil 3000 first time round. Tbh I got some work to do under hood. Need to change ht leads. Want to get a new expansion tank. And want to get new bolts and bits since current ones look rusty and horrible.

@Knuckles oh right! I'll get round to changing it then next week I should have time.
Thats for plugs oil/filter and air filter mate.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

@Knuckles oh right! I'll get round to changing it then next week I should have time. How do you normally change filter? I can't find my tool anywhere had a little thing made my life easier.

I’ve got a little tool to do them

Couple of quid off eBay or a tenner from screwfix etc

291475-zoom.jpg

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
A tool would be best. If you haven't got one you can always stick a screwdriver through it and twist it out that way. Very messy tho

dan's cast offs.
A tool would be best. If you haven't got one you can always stick a screwdriver through it and twist it out that way. Very messy tho

never do that. seen people do it and just rip the filter open and it still won't budge so you end up with a stuck filter and a car you can't even drive anywhere to get it sorted :wink:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
never do that. seen people do it and just rip the filter open and it still won't budge so you end up with a stuck filter and a car you can't even drive anywhere to get it sorted :wink:

This exactly, I've seen the filter fully destroyed with only a small amount of twisted metal left.

This is the tool I like best

538771441.jpg

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Never done it myself. Was recommended to me but I decided to buy a decent screw tight strap type tool. Works really well but I imagine it would be a pain without decent access.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
@Knuckles that's what I had! Screw fix thanks. I couldn't think for life of Me what it's called. @R3k1355 that looks terrifying lol. But I think I get how it works? Can attach a torq wrench with a 5mm bit to the black part? Looks familiar.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
@James the same pleb I imagine who put a hellfrauds special induction kit on that was so poorly fitted I don't think the air actually got to the engine.

@Mr. Plums you have no idea lol, I wish I'd taken more pictures when I brought it. Bad induction kit. Wheels that had been scraped around every curb in the UK I think. Scaffolding pole for a silencer. A backbox that looked like it had been shot at with a sub machine gun not to mention it was hanging off the cat the whole exhaust. 3 years I've had her. Almost 99k she runs like a dream. I'd like to get round to really cleaning up the engine bay. There seems to be a small deposit of dirty something that's resting in the bottom section of the Inlet manifold I think it's a mix of oil and water. Which concerns me a bit. As to where it's come from.

Was it cheap?

monaco 172
I take the filter off by hand and put it on by hand, never had one leak yet. the problem is when some pleb puts em back on using a filter tool and then their a pain to get off.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
@imprezaworks very grabbed it at 86k for £1000.
@hipwell I'm hoping it's not too tight.

Question! Where would I get some replacement bolts for the engine bay? Like bolts for the intake manifold. Air box. Stuff like that?