ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uprated Inlet Manifold - Ideas/Thought/Gauging Interest

172 cup, Impreza P1
It's a Honda one I've bought a f4r flange and going to chop and weld it on. Injector bosses welded into the runners or just use the other 4 that are underneath. It's got flushed trumpets

How do the runner pitches match up with the f4r flange. You'll need a custom fuel rail also then.

What power lever is this inet rated to?

172 cup, Impreza P1
I'm in the process of building one of these, well similar in concept

095774A5-13FD-404F-8F8D-D24E7F16163E_zpsrwszhoug.jpg

I thought about using the pulsar manifold too. It makes a good starting point with a lot of the hard word done.

Clio 200
Given the R3 Maxi Evo makes 250 on the standard inlet manifold, is it not possible to swap to the mk3 manifold rather than fully fabricating from scratch? If it requires some work to fit is it not likely to be at least less work/easier?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Given the R3 Maxi Evo makes 250 on the standard inlet manifold, is it not possible to swap to the mk3 manifold rather than fully fabricating from scratch? If it requires some work to fit is it not likely to be at least less work/easier?
To convert a 172/182 to the 197 is a mission mate. I've done it and it's not worth the effort. That's one of the reasons I went to a 197 head/inlet combo. Plus, the 197 head is far superior to the 172/182 one.

big boost cup
If anyone on here is on Facebook join uk fwd drag series there is a thread going on at the moment all about plenums

172 cup, Impreza P1
Mega detailed stuff. Makes for a good read I've tried to copy the link
The Honda forums are really good for this stuff as they are light years ahead of us in the all motor side of things

Link would be good. Love reading up on stuff like that.

172 cup
I don't mean to be cheeky but I don't suppose you have any of your original measurements do you?

I won't be designing or building the inlet, but any extra input for the guys at Zisco would be a bonus. They're the chaps with the software and expertise to pull this off I'm just the middle man [emoji3]

Thanks a lot, Craig

Really??????
Can I have the measurements I personally think if they are going to design one then do not try and rip someone one off and use there info.
Steven I think you should reproduce yours as it is i think there is lots of money to be made if £700 is going to be the going rate.

Clio 182
Really??????
Can I have the measurements I personally think if they are going to design one then do not try and rip someone one off and use there info.
Steven I think you should reproduce yours as it is i think there is lots of money to be made if £700 is going to be the going rate.
Simple question, I'm the middle man here and it would of saved me measuring it up myself.

They are going to be designing the inlet from scratch. Measurements were only in regards to clearance from the face of the head around the engine bay so they have an idea of the dimensions they will be working with.

Clio Sport 172 ph.1
I am currently in process of making 2 identical custom aluminium/carbon intake manifolds for F4R 730/6/8. Once I'm done I'll run it on dyno and post on here before/after results. Figures should be plus 10-15 bhp with decent remap and price arround 599+ postage.

To convert a 172/182 to the 197 is a mission mate. I've done it and it's not worth the effort. That's one of the reasons I went to a 197 head/inlet combo. Plus, the 197 head is far superior to the 172/182 one.
I'm doing the same thing only on 197.

Running some simulations in Solidworks at the moment.
Hopefully, will have the first prototype carbon inlet for my 197 in the next month.
Will have dyno tests before/after the inlet.

It will be bolt on the lower inlet manifold.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'm doing the same thing only on 197.

Running some simulations in Solidworks at the moment.
Hopefully, will have the first prototype carbon inlet for my 197 in the next month.
Will have dyno tests before/after the inlet.

It will be bolt on the lower inlet manifold.
Surely that's going to be a very short runner length though?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yes it will but take into the consideration the length of the lower part of the plenum...and I'll have some "spacers" made extra so I can "play" with the lengths of the runners and see the results on the dyno/street.
I think you'll lose a fair chunk of torque mate with such short runners. Do you have any images you can post? It may help me understand your design. Don't worry I'm not out to rip it off! I'm very much sticking with the 197 inlet on mine.

Clio Sport 172 ph.1
What's wrong with your injector angle? It shold be arround 30deg comp. to runners. This is one of the worst designs I have seen so far... Outrageous!

172 cup, Impreza P1
What's wrong with your injector angle? It shold be arround 30deg comp. to runners. This is one of the worst designs I have seen so far... Outrageous!

45deg is not uncommon and most aftermarket manifolds will be that. It should not be more than that and obviously the lower this angle the better. Itb's will have a 45deg injector angle but further away from the head. V8 dragsters in the US commonly use and injector angle of 45deg.

What's so outrageous about this design?

f4cda70403e2e9d139bd7d24164a0225.jpg

I have had my clio turbo mapped with a jenvey based inlet made by @focrs mapped by @Scoff at EFI and it was a pig to map due to injector angle.

What angle is your injectors Scott? What did scoff say about the injector position and angle for mapping?

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Unsure as focrs made it, I think he helped make yours to? We discussed it a while back In Your build thread, you would need to ask him as I'm unsure.

The problem was that 480cc Megan injectors were "wetwalling" so there was no way I could move up to 630cc as planned.

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Hi Scott, 630cc were not the problem, more that we didn't need them to be so large. The steep angle and proximity to cylinder head in your case made it difficult to tune throttle transients. It needed a lot of tip-in enrich, a large but short burst to compensate for the port wetting. An OEM calibrater would find it wholey unacceptable but with a standalone one off we can live with it :)

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Maybe its my ageing mind but the injectors looked steeper in the flesh. It could be that the injector sockets are too long and are obscuring some of the spray pattern. There's a few possible causes. Its difficult to know without taking it apart and having a good old look. None of which will impact on power really. With a modern cylinder head you can almost chuck the fuel in with a hose pipe and get away with it.

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
Warning! Old thread resurrection hehe.
Anyone who were building them manifolds finished any of them?