ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy time...

172 cup, 205 GTi
Hi everyone....

So, the Cup has gone and I've only gone and landed myself a Trophy!! I am beyond happy...

Car has a great history with no expense spared and boasts a few mild mods..
-janspeed exhaust
-sports cat
-matched inlets
-Mark Fish suspension set up
To name a few...

This is what she looked like when I picked her up...
image.jpeg

I drove the car back from south London to Manchester and I have to say the car drives like a dream. The Recaros are immaculate and the car in general is in good order. Mechanically it feel perfect.

But it isn't all sunshine and rainbows, besides, where's the fun in that! At some point it its life someone has attempted to paint the bonnet and its started to go pink, just a bad job so that's on the agenda along with having the Turinis I purchased refurbed.

Today was my first full day with the car and with the sun shining in Manchester I spent the day attending to a few bits and pieces. I removed the wheels and throughly cleaned under the arches, then painted the calipers.

Start of the day..

image.jpeg

10 years of crud!!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After some inspection, the Sachs seem to be in decent order and don't appear to be leaking....Result!!

I removed the inlet to tend to a leaky rocker cover which I then discovered isn't a job I can do so, I nipped the bolts up and applied some gasket sealant to some of the other bolts that had oil around them...fingers crossed. I think a trip to Birchdown is on the cards to be honest!

Whilst I had it all off, I broke out the matte black paint...

image.jpeg

Very pleased with the results!

Then I properly cleaned the car, polished and paint sealed....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I ordered one of the new style 'Renault Sport' badges so I took off the others. What's really annoying is that the 'Clio' badge is pinned on or I would have taken this off too!!

Jobs to do next:
Attempt to restore headlights
Refurbish the wheels
'Snappy' steering wheel
Sort bonnet paint

Overall I'm really pleased with the car and with a few minor tweaks it will be just how I want it.

Thanks for looking
Badger

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 71
  172 cup, 205 GTi
Oh you fucker

This looked lovely on ebay and one i would of gone for of the r32 sold, but i shall keep it now

Do love trophies though

You snooze you lose I'm afraid pal....Just kidding.
I've been watching them for a while and they appear to have been creeping up in value, as cars go it seems a decent investment.

I'm not a fan of buying cars privately as a lot of people really do kid themselves. I got talking to the owner, a lady who was a massive Motorsport fan and just chatting I knew she was genuine in what she was saying. Bearing in mind I didn't see the car until I collected it she was very helpful and honest so there was no suprises when I arrived. Other than the stunning car!!

Thanks for your comments,going for a proper drive today I'll post some pictures up later.

No way! Can't believe I haven't seen you around. Do you keep her locked away :wink:
No mate drive it daily! I work in Manchester so always passing Radcliffe and Whitefield area.

Will keep an eye out for yours and think I'll have to bully you off my patch :smilingimp:

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
They are an investment if you don't drive them! Sadly price goes with mileage. It's unlikely you'll loose money but you won't make money after maintenance and stuff.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Yeah, they're those dodgy carbon fibre ones. When I have the paint sorted I'll get some OE ones

You seen the price of OE ones ?
They are RRP £155 a pair, Im glad i now have 3 good working sets with plastic nut in tact.

172 cup, 205 GTi
They are an investment if you don't drive them! Sadly price goes with mileage. It's unlikely you'll loose money but you won't make money after maintenance and stuff.

Agreed, but it's a second car for me. Won't use it daily so will put minimal mileage on it. Weekend toy, got a 205 mi16 for track use that I'm building. Might do a Nurburgring trip in her in the summer next year

That looks a cracking buy........ looks great already so when the little bits are sorted, job well and truly done :cool:

It's funny you say that about the Clio badge being held on with pins as I had the opposite issue! The lad who owned my 182 before me spent the money to have the bootlid smoothed of the little holes as he had it de-badged and would have looked a little odd......... then I bought it and wanted the original badges back on. So I couldn't fit the Clio badge as the pin holes were gone 😂 they had to be trimmed off and the badge basically stuck on!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I loved mine, but the smallest defect in the suspension set up (dampers leaking, toe out, camber etc.) and it felt miles off. When set up perfectly it was amazing - sadly with uk roads and the firm ride, didn't take too long (when using as a daily) to alter that. But as ever, I'm just moaning - looks fab, and it will look even better on turinis :)

172 cup, 205 GTi
Thoroughly enjoying the car! Although changing to 16" wheels from 15's has clearly thrown out the geometry as the wheel bearings are making a racket...replacements needed! Steering Wheel being sent to Snappy this weekend for a re-trim and should be going in for the paint in the next week to two. :cool:

172 cup, 205 GTi
Wanted Turinis as thats what the car is meant to be on. Coupled with the fact that I didn't like the 2118's that where on the car when I bought it. See the first picture :grinning:

Turned out well as the 2118's are a quite desirable and didn't take much to sell

172 cup, 205 GTi
Bit of an update folks, car has been away for a week or so having the paint rectified. Got her back today having had the wheels refurbed and the paint issues taken care of. It was like being reacquainted with an old friend.....oooohh how I've missed my Trophy!

Also, had a delivery from K-Tec Racing
IMG_4990.JPG

Whilst I wanted to keep the car as standard as possible, this just sharpens the front end right up and gives the car a little modern edge..

IMG_5006.JPG

IMG_5005.JPG

IMG_5007.JPG

The only thing I'm annoyed about is I bought some new washer blanks and asked them to fit but not paint......they painted them.....
Other than that the car has been restored to her former glory, its stunning!!!

Off to Birchdown tomorrow for a service, MOT and some new wheel bearings.

Cheers for looking

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Do really like the carbon splitters, it'd be my luck a rabbit would run out a day after fitting it though! I personally prefer the washer blanks painted.