ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy 220- Opinions...

2016-pm-waldow-renault-cliio-05.jpg
2016-pm-waldow-renault-cliio-03.jpg

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
True, I suppose the mk3 looks a bit motorsport say, but things move on and they wanted so appeal To and wider audience .

It would be interesting to see the sales figures. They were certainly going for broader appeal, but I don't know if that is reflected in sales. I see more 1*2s than any other RS Clio lol.

Civic type r fk8
It would be interesting to see the sales figures. They were certainly going for broader appeal, but I don't know if that is reflected in sales. I see more 1*2s than any other RS Clio lol.
I think they sell more abroad now, ten percent more overall across the board.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Even if you had the figures, it's not comparing like for like.

The 1*2s were peanuts compared to the competition (of which there wasn't as much). Didn't someone post a receipt for a brand new 182 for £12k or something the other week?

The RenaultSport fans still buy RenaultSport Clios/Meganes, but the people that just want a quick hatch have more to choose from, not to mention that not everyone bought a Clio for its handling. At the time, a 172 was a bit of a rocket in a straight line, these days you can match the straight line performance of a Clio quite easily. I don't think the manual vs auto argument is really a big reason you will or won't see many around.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I think its the price point.

I can't see that many people wanting to blow 23k on a Clio.

So many cars can be had for 23k (outright or finance).

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
True but people spend 30 plus on golfs and focuses .

They do, agreed.

All depends on how cheap the finance is. I'm unsure is Renault is actually that competitive and whether they have marketed the deals adequately.

VW can I theory make a 30k car as cheap as a 22k Renault providing the interest rate is good etc. people often just look at the monthly repayments rather than the balloon payment etc. They never have any intention of owning it outright.

Civic type r fk8
They do, agreed.

All depends on how cheap the finance is. I'm unsure is Renault is actually that competitive and whether they have marketed the deals adequately.

VW can I theory make a 30k car as cheap as a 22k Renault providing the interest rate is good etc. people often just look at the monthly repayments rather than the balloon payment etc. They never have any intention of owning it outright.
Like most things life phones etc, it's a disposable item now to some people

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

The 1*2s were peanuts compared to the competition (of which there wasn't as much). Didn't someone post a receipt for a brand new 182 for £12k or something the other week?

You can apparently pick up pre registered Trophy's up for 17k now according to PH's today. Although they're also the pre face lift.

Clio F1 197 Cup
Nice! Although that doesn't detract from the fact they've not been available for that money since new.
I would quite happily have a pre facelift for 17k, that is in fact the models I have been looking at. All the golf Rs out there are on lease. Can get one for 200 quid a month. Dirt cheap.

Civic type r fk8
I would quite happily have a pre facelift for 17k, that is in fact the models I have been looking at. All the golf Rs out there are on lease. Can get one for 200 quid a month. Dirt cheap.
It's all to do with the bank of VW being huge and residuals, that's why there is so many golfs

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several

The RenaultSport fans still buy RenaultSport Clios/Meganes, but the people that just want a quick hatch have more to choose from, not to mention that not everyone bought a Clio for its handling. At the time, a 172 was a bit of a rocket in a straight line, these days you can match the straight line performance of a Clio quite easily. I don't think the manual vs auto argument is really a big reason you will or won't see many around.

I think you're right there and I think that is part of the issue. The 1*2 was great value, while this is expensive compared to the competition. While there might be good deals out there, a lot of people won't know about them, so it just makes this appear quite pricey. Those good deals are also going to hurt residuals too, making it an even more expensive proposition. I think you're right in that manual vs. auto isn't such a big deal anymore but, in this segment, I think it has hurt them, especially with the criticism of the 200. Given that the Juke has a manual box, I think they should have offered one. In this type of car, it's an option that people want and would probably have left this car with a great reputation.

Not sure if people saw, but it was the topic on PH.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1659713

They almost seem apologetic for liking it lol. I'd like to drive a Trophy. I was left pretty cold by the 200 EDC, but it would be interesting to see how this differs. I think they missed an opportunity with this facelift version. With the RS.16 dying, they should have tacked the arches onto the Trophy and maybe a better spoiler. It would have given it a more hardcore look and probably made it a bit more appealing to the die-hard RS fans.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The Juke is a considerably different shape car. I think it's been mentioned a few times that the gearbox they use in the Juke 1.6T won't fit the Clio.

And if the Juke powertrain did fit, I'd be more interested in fitting the 4WD version!!!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Sold mine in November. Very good car but needed the money for house stuff. Priorities...

Went around corners very well, was a quick A-B car. Had all the toys and the heated leathers make the car IMO.

Pros. Looks good, sticks like sh*t to a blanket, gearbox is good, fairly spacious for a small car, not too slow for a 1.6 turbo, cheap tax.

Cons. Should come on ET45-50 17s with 215 45 17 instead of the standard wheels with super stretched 205 40 18. 27mpg average, mainly motorway miles.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Sold mine in November. Very good car but needed the money for house stuff. Priorities...

Went around corners very well, was a quick A-B car. Had all the toys and the heated leathers make the car IMO.

Pros. Looks good, sticks like sh*t to a blanket, gearbox is good, fairly spacious for a small car, not too slow for a 1.6 turbo, cheap tax.

Cons. Should come on ET45-50 17s with 215 45 17 instead of the standard wheels with super stretched 205 40 18. 27mpg average, mainly motorway miles.
Std 200 comes on 17s, it's the LUX pack option that gives you the 18s, red calipers and different springs.

Agreed the ET55 is a frikkin nightmare for alloy wheels. OZ only go up to ET48, from what I was told last week on a 8J

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Std 200 comes on 17s, it's the LUX pack option that gives you the 18s, red calipers and different springs.

Agreed the ET55 is a frikkin nightmare for alloy wheels. OZ only go up to ET48, from what I was told last week on a 8J

You think you have it bad... I've just bought a Meg 265 and that's ET65 lol.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
when did the Clio Mk4 come out? Surely there is a new Mk5 round the corner?

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I like my trophy and I like the facelift one Suzanne has above if they build the Zoesport I've been looking at I would consider one of them. I understand people like to fiddle with cars but I fail to see how you can improve them by fitting aftermarket parts etc, obviously Renaultsport missed a trick having all these people in their factory they might just as well sub the work to ktec and the like.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I like my trophy and I like the facelift one Suzanne has above if they build the Zoesport I've been looking at I would consider one of them. I understand people like to fiddle with cars but I fail to see how you can improve them by fitting aftermarket parts etc, obviously Renaultsport missed a trick having all these people in their factory they might just as well sub the work to ktec and the like.

'Renault spent loads of time setting up the Clio to handle perfectly, let's chuck some £300 ebay coilovers on it to make it handle better'

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I just want one - I'm too old and busy to mess with cars anymore, I want to stay RS so it's basically my only choice for one in a four door! The fact I like them makes it a no brainer.
They just need to drop in value though. Can't afford another new car!

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
I just want one - I'm too old and busy to mess with cars anymore, I want to stay RS so it's basically my only choice for one in a four door! The fact I like them makes it a no brainer.
They just need to drop in value though. Can't afford another new car!

I'm in a very similar position. Will definitely pick one up at some point in the next couple of years. Shame there aren't any interesting colours. Would love one in alien green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Does anyone know in the akrapovic exhaust can be fitted to the mk1 220 trophy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Clio 200t edc
I couldn't get a drive in the trophy at my local dealers but I did get a drive in a 200t with cup chassis. My god what a car. Loved the gearbox and the power delivery. The general drive and feel was really good. I have to have one next, it's a must now! Really was impressed with it. The only slight rub was the fact this one didn't have the rs monitor, but for the zero track days I do I doubt I need to see what g I'm pulling on the road to work.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I'm too old for lairy colours! I wish they did it in oyster grey!

How old are you? I'm 32 and want as lairy as they come. Although I never seem to get them... last 4 cars have been grey, white, silver and grey again :(