ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy 220- Opinions...

Clio F1 197 Cup
So, potentially controversial topic coming up haha.

Trophy 220.

Any experiences? I've seen two cars on here so far but nothing in any real detail. Has anyone had much experience in the way of test drives, weekend loans, passenger runs, owns one perhaps?

Online reviews seem very positive and whilst the engine may not be necessarily charismatic there seems to be significant chassis and gearbox developments that make this much more of a RS product. Now, I can't knock the Mk4 Clio RS as I have never experienced one- I actually quite like the back end and front view- I still think it has too many doors but I can appreciate what they wanted the car to be. I'm sure the 200EDC would be a cracking car with the aftermarket (gearbox recalibration, remap, suspension tweaks etc) but realistically only the very oldest of cars are coming up to 4 years and most are going to be in warranty still. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable modifying until a couple years outside warranty.

So it looks like the 220 Trophy could be a good offering for someone looking for an automatic, smallish car with some decent performance. I would love to drive one, but I suspect most garages won't let me, being under 25.

We are potentially going to be in the market for swapping the family Abarth 500 MTA (flappy paddle, automated clutch, manual transmission) for something else and requirements will be: newish, smallish, automatic and with some decent poke. I dont fancy any VAG products, we've had enough of those for a while and thinking about the options the new Clio could be a potentially very good fit...

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
ive got one, I would suggest you go on a good long test drive because they divide opinion, especially with existing clio owners it seems, perhaps some previous clio sports are more outright fun I don't know, but none of them come close on outright ability. They are really quick in a straight line and even quicker from a to b.
I was hooked after 1 test drive, I had previously test drove the fiesta st and i was having the fiesta till I drove the trophy, then the i quickly forgot about the ford, which again might be a tad more fun its nowhere near as capable.
There are a lot of mk4 cliosport owners, of both 200 edc and trophy, on the renaultsportuk forum, if i was you id post on there and have a look around at the threads, they are becoming really popular, and ive never heard anything negative from anybody who actually owns one, or who has had track time in one.
There's always a new thread were somebody has just brought one.
Hth
David

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Well I adore the wife's new Diesel EDC and that has 90bhp!

I can see me falling hard for an RS when I try one - although I can't even try one for a year or so until the funds allow.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The 220 is the car that the 200t should have been in the first place.

It's ultimately down to driver's preference whether they can live with flappy paddles, but at least with the 220 you get a power hike to make up for the loss of NA, and a better implementation of the box.

Clio 220 Trophy 1051
I dont get the whole flappy paddles thing, imo the gearbox is great, race mode is all out manually controlled fun, full auto mode is lazy cruising, sport mode somewhere in the middle.

Clio F1 197 Cup
ive got one, I would suggest you go on a good long test drive because they divide opinion, especially with existing clio owners it seems, perhaps some previous clio sports are more outright fun I don't know, but none of them come close on outright ability. They are really quick in a straight line and even quicker from a to b.
I was hooked after 1 test drive, I had previously test drove the fiesta st and i was having the fiesta till I drove the trophy, then the i quickly forgot about the ford, which again might be a tad more fun its nowhere near as capable.
There are a lot of mk4 cliosport owners, of both 200 edc and trophy, on the renaultsportuk forum, if i was you id post on there and have a look around at the threads, they are becoming really popular, and ive never heard anything negative from anybody who actually owns one, or who has had track time in one.
There's always a new thread were somebody has just brought one.
Hth
David
I definitely would want a longer test drive, maybe even a couple- I doubt they would have capacity for a day long loan but you never know. It was a 3 hour test drive in the Abarth that sold me on it.

Interesting to hear your thoughts, and very interesting comparing it to the Fiesta ST which everyone raves about. I'll get over to RSUK and have a poke around.

I wonder why there aren't many on here....

Clio F1 197 Cup
I dont get the whole flappy paddles thing, imo the gearbox is great, race mode is all out manually controlled fun, full auto mode is lazy cruising, sport mode somewhere in the middle.
Here's a question, in race mode, will it change down under braking?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my DynS DCi90 is absolutely perfect apart from one area, its too slow! 220trophy would be perfect lol I couldn't bring myself to fork out the extra £10k for one when both had delivery miles!!!

RS280EDC
The 220T is my 11th RS so far and for my usage is the best I do three trips to Spa for track days and the Ring.The running costs are low cheap servicing the gearbox is fantastic in Race mod and a play with the RS monitor sharpens things up.so if anyone is Heathrow based come and have a drive.

Clio F1 197 Cup
The 220T is my 11th RS so far and for my usage is the best I do three trips to Spa for track days and the Ring.The running costs are low cheap servicing the gearbox is fantastic in Race mod and a play with the RS monitor sharpens things up.so if anyone is Heathrow based come and have a drive.
I used to work at Tesla in West Drayton so am familiar with the area- I'm living over in Woodford now, but not too far away at all. If you've got any time spare over the next couple of months I would love to be taken out as a passenger for a quick run.

Civic type r fk8
Love mine can't think what i would replace it with, just had to drive and manual car for the last five days and hated it. These 220 are a proper piece of kit that is well developed, just take a look at the 220 specs. If you have any questions fire away.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I had a 30 minute test drive in one, and can say the following. It doesn't have the raw fizz of my 172 Cup, that's for sure, nor does it have the same razor sharp response. However, it is very civilised, and is pretty quick with it. I did really like the gearbox, and I wanted to dislike the gearbox when I got in the car, I wanted to say "oh a proper hot hatch should have 3 pedals" but there are plenty of hot hatches to choose with a manual, but not many with paddles.
I was also surprised how well it handles the corners, especially on slightly bumpy roads, where the 172 Cup demands complete attention, the 220T was able to grip up hard, in a reassuring manner, but with more stability. This was at the detriment of some of the ultimate grip and ability to adjust your line mid corner, in comparison to the older car.
One thing I really hated was the fake crackles on the over run, they are very synthetic sounding, and the salesman wasn't aware of any way of turning them off.
The interior was also well trimmed, and the matte white is just wonderful.
All in all, I'd say it's a very impressive and enjoyable car to drive, just don't expect the fizz and go kart like handling that you get from RS clio's of old.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
IMG_0968.PNG
Renault Sport trackday required

No personal experience of this but I thought I'd read that if you hold the downshift paddle whilst braking it will select the correct gear ready for when you hit the accelerator, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Clio F1 197 Cup
View attachment 179284 Renault Sport trackday required
I've just seen that if you go to a RS Track Day there is a 220T available! Great suggestion!

I had a 30 minute test drive in one, and can say the following. It doesn't have the raw fizz of my 172 Cup, that's for sure, nor does it have the same razor sharp response. However, it is very civilised, and is pretty quick with it. I did really like the gearbox, and I wanted to dislike the gearbox when I got in the car, I wanted to say "oh a proper hot hatch should have 3 pedals" but there are plenty of hot hatches to choose with a manual, but not many with paddles.
I was also surprised how well it handles the corners, especially on slightly bumpy roads, where the 172 Cup demands complete attention, the 220T was able to grip up hard, in a reassuring manner, but with more stability. This was at the detriment of some of the ultimate grip and ability to adjust your line mid corner, in comparison to the older car.
One thing I really hated was the fake crackles on the over run, they are very synthetic sounding, and the salesman wasn't aware of any way of turning them off.
The interior was also well trimmed, and the matte white is just wonderful.
All in all, I'd say it's a very impressive and enjoyable car to drive, just don't expect the fizz and go kart like handling that you get from RS clio's of old.
Thank you for the comprehensive feedback- I'm not expecting it to feel like my 182 and tbh I'm hoping it doesn't! I want something that feels more grown up but is still very capable and it sounds like the Trophy might be a good answer. I'm glad to hear your praise of the gearbox- for as much as I love the Abarth, the gearbox is pretty useless unless you are driving the car properly. Trying to 'poodle' around town is a bit tricky as it doesn't really seem to know what gear it wants to be in when in Auto, and when its in manual it can do silly things sometimes.

No personal experience of this but I thought I'd read that if you hold the downshift paddle whilst braking it will select the correct gear ready for when you hit the accelerator, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong
That's interesting, I'll be curious to know if that is the case or not. The Abarth has this annoying habit when you are braking of changing down for you- even in manual mode. The reason its annoying is I'm in say 3rd, slowing down, as I go to press the downshift paddle the gearbox automatically decides that it wants 2nd, but by this stage its already too late and I am pressing the downshift paddle. So the gearbox then decides to drop two gears and put itself into 1st!! Its super annoying and I have tried for 2 years to get the timing right to avoid of but it still happens to me sometimes! I did, however, meet a Ferrari owner who also had an paddy shift, automated clutch manual and he had the exact same issue!!

Civic type r fk8
Gearbox will multiple down change When braking hard,and will only down change when in the engine revs are to low in manual mode , if the engine is going say 10 MPH in 3 rd. If you get my meaning.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Not really a fan. They're a better 'car' but not a better RS product. By a long way.
If you want that in a new car, buy a 265/275.

Civic type r fk8
Not really a fan. They're a better 'car' but not a better RS product. By a long way.
I've had a 265 , engine better but prefer my clio seems more up to date ,to me all other manufacturers have got lazy fiesta St. Etc. Loved my clio mk3 200 but to dated now for me.

Civic type r fk8
You could argue that the clio trophy is more of a rs product than the megane trophy as that never had much more if anything than the regular one, but the clio was completely overhauled ,so more of an rs product

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
You could say that, but it'd be written on the wall in sh*t because you would be a f*cking mental.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Debating with Mk4 owners is like trying to return diarrhea with a squash racket.
I'll just stay fairly neutral. They're better at being a family car.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Debating with Mk4 owners is like trying to return diarrhea with a squash racket.

What's wrong with that? I've been a family man for a few years now and they tick all the boxes for me, more than the current Megane I have - I think Renault have done the right thing growing up a little bit.

Civic type r fk8
The trouble now is people want it all, as good as the mk3 is they probably could not shift enough to make financial sense or meet emissions or crash tests.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
No, unless it needs to, to stop it stalling. If you hold the left paddle whilst breaking it'll change down to the correct gear for the corner you're approaching.

Clio F1 197 Cup
View attachment 179284 Renault Sport trackday required
Looked epic Black on Black btw...

Also looks epic! Dad won't have a white car- even though I was our cars every weekend!!

Not really a better RS product compared to what? Show me another automatic RS product... Except for the new Megane of course ;) I jest, I know where you are coming from but requirements do say Automatic- Megane 250/265/275 are great cars and I definitely want to have one at some stage, but it would replace my 197.

View attachment 179309 View attachment 179310 Had Both @Christopher I'd take my 220t over my 300 bhp FF MEG 250
Another interesting and valuable comparison- that is high praise given how epic the Megane is.

No, unless it needs to, to stop it stalling. If you hold the left paddle whilst breaking it'll change down to the correct gear for the corner you're approaching.
This is good news and makes me happy haha.

Well, it seems like I thought I would have to make sacrifices having a 220 Trophy but that appears to very much not be the case at all- look like properly epic cars.

Clio F1 197 Cup
Just tried to PM you mate, said I am not allowed to send you a message :(

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Depends on the modding qs.

If your buying to keep and modify I think I would go with the 200edc, it looks better on the the black alloys in the yellow or reddish colours.
A remap and some new springs and you basically have a trophy.

If it's just a stop gap car then probably just go straight for the trophy. I test drove one when I was 24 so I don't see age being an issue just ring round some garages. :up:

Clio F1 197 Cup
Trophy has a bigger turbo though IIRC? Means you'd probably get further before that's the weakest link.
I think its more like slight internal differences- Trophy goes also have the recalibrate gearbox and seeing as we would want one with <5k miles the prices are so similar we're better off going for a Trophy I think.