ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trailer size that is big enough for clio but fits in garage

Golf 7R
I've decided to buy a trailer for the clio to save insuring and the stupid amount of road tax that gets charged for the 3 or 4 times a year I use it.
I've seen a Brian James minno max for sale and although it fits in my garage I'm not sure it's big enough for the clio, the dimensions are 3370mm by 1650mm with a max weight of 1000kg, it has a tyre rack at the front as well so the clio will be very close to the max weight.

I have a slightly stripped 172 cup with no rear seats and buckets in the front so should be below the 1000kg but I'm just not sure the bed is big enough to get the clio balanced with nose weight of 100kg for the X3 I'll be using to tow it.

Can members tell me the trailers they are using and the dimensions please, also will the clio fit on the minno?

Golf 7R
The Clio does fit on a Minno. (Just!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the confirmation, I thought it would be tight and very close to the max weight as ideally I wanted to use the tyre rack for my spare tyres rather than put them in The car.

Have you towed with a minno? I've never towed before and was concerned I wouldn't get the correct nose weight and whether this affects the way the trailer would tow

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
The Minno tows really nicely, but then all Brian James Trailers do.
I hire my trailer when I need it but if I need a tire rack I hire a bigger one.
What’s your tow vehicle? That might also have a bearing too.

Golf 7R
I'll be using the wife's BMW X3 so should tow it easily and luckily I'm an old git so got my towing license grandfathered.

I like the minno and the price but not 100% sure whether I'd regret not getting a trailer with a higher weight limit but similar size, downside with that is the price as they seem to go for almost £2k and that's a lot for the amount I'll use it

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
They do hold their value but you’re right, I think if I was buying one I’d go bigger. I used to have a bigger trailer a few years ago but storing them is difficult. That’s why I hire now. Cheap enough for the amount I use one but I’m lucky that I have a company near by.
(Im an old git too so also avoided the trailer test!)

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
It will fit but very tight width wise at the front depending on wheel offset , my tyres basically touch at both sides. If your lucky you can also get them with a folding hitch which saves more space when its in storage.
It tows behind my X3 brilliantly even with spare wheels in the rack.

20190326_210212.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I did have a larger Brian James but like you say storage was an issue as my garage isn't very deep. One thing i did like with it was the low level tyre rack as it aloud you to work on the car while on the trailer , with a high level you cant open the bonnet.

066D4FC6-B168-4485-8AA0-4CA0ADC9FF4B.jpeg

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Is there different types of Minno, ones with tyre rack on them and looks a little bigger?

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
What's the average weight of a caged up Clio? My tow vehicle is an 04 Audi A4 Avant

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
What's the average weight of a caged up Clio? My tow vehicle is an 04 Audi A4 Avant
Do you have your B&E?

I don’t and after extensive research, I am legal (by about 90kgs!) to drive my passat with my 900kg clio and 325kg trailer.

The guy at the towing school that helped me said my passat or an equivalent aged A4 are the only cars I can use due to maximum permissible weight.

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
Of you can find one a twin wheel trailer will tow better. Woodford make a twin axle small trailer . Something like this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200825-214356.png
    Screenshot_20200825-214356.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
  • Screenshot_20200825-214407.png
    Screenshot_20200825-214407.png
    671 KB · Views: 186

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I’m on this BJT

6A2C67B4-7C54-42AB-938A-23CD4941E815.jpeg

My Clio weighs 850kg but that’s fully stripped fibreglass Bonnet, doors, boot and spoiler with plastic windows etc
Think you’d be looking more 900-1000kg for a regular track car type stripping

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I’m on this BJT

View attachment 1492405

My Clio weighs 850kg but that’s fully stripped fibreglass Bonnet, doors, boot and spoiler with plastic windows etc
Think you’d be looking more 900-1000kg for a regular track car type stripping
Yours is where I want mine to be so that's reassuring to know weight wise. Do you have an extra 3rd brake light anymore if you're running the FG spoiler?

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
So I'm going to pick up a trailer over the weekend. I've never towed before. My Kangoo van has a tow hitch and power plug that I can see. The Audi has a detachable one which needs a clean to get it to fit into the hole again despite it being covered over but I can't see the power plug unless it's tucked away under the back bumper?

Apart from that What else is needed when picking up a trailer? Do you transfer ownership or things like that?

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
So I'm going to pick up a trailer over the weekend. I've never towed before. My Kangoo van has a tow hitch and power plug that I can see. The Audi has a detachable one which needs a clean to get it to fit into the hole again despite it being covered over but I can't see the power plug unless it's tucked away under the back bumper?

Apart from that What else is needed when picking up a trailer? Do you transfer ownership or things like that?
If the Audi is removable it will be hidden under the rear bumper for neatness. Don't think trailers have logbooks or anything have they are stolen regular. Just get a receipt from the seller etc and make sure serial numbers are present. Shouldn't need much else long as it has built in lights some require a separate trailer board for lights

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
It will fit but very tight width wise at the front depending on wheel offset , my tyres basically touch at both sides. If your lucky you can also get them with a folding hitch which saves more space when its in storage.
It tows behind my X3 brilliantly even with spare wheels in the rack.

View attachment 1422292
@neil a what wheel offset are you running in this photo. I’ve just gotten myself a BJT Minno and tried getting the car on and it seems very tight or too wide and this is before I put 3mm spacers on each side for running Brembos.

I tried driving it up but think I’m better off winching it up due to the tightness. It does seem tight on entry as if there is a taper but seems wider further up the trailer, perhaps I can tickle the sides at the entry Point of the trailer?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sure they were et35 but I had a roll center kit aswell which pushed the wheels out another 5mm on the front.
It was very tight to the point that the tires touched both side.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup

Ifor williams have a register of owners, no logbook etc but just give them serial number and proof of purchase and they transfer ownership

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I'm sure they were et35 but I had a roll center kit aswell which pushed the wheels out another 5mm on the front.
It was very tight to the point that the tires touched both side.
Same as mine, et35 and roll centre kit fitted. I think I just need to go back and give it a little tickle at entry as it looks pinched and just winch it onto the trailer and let the car find its way on. Once over the threshold it should be fine as that's the only part that looks tight.

Simon1975

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup/Meg R26
Haven't loaded my Clio on yet but should be loads of room on mine.

Attachments

• DSC_2127.JPG
    DSC_2127.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 188

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I made the mistake of buying a BJT Minno trailer based on Clio stats i googled only to find my car was just a little too wide. Fortunately I sold it at a small profit and then bought another BJT that it would fit on. So my advice would be the measure your own car very carefully before diving in.
BTW there are a few different types/sizes of Minno (Minno Max) trailer out there as BJT have made them for many years.

Another one with a Minno Max trailer and a 182 weighing about 960kg
I've had no problems driving the car on, you have to splay the ramps out a bit, but on the trailer there are couple of inches clearance each side which should be all you need.
Winching it on is fairly easy too. (I have standard 16" wheels.)
Very happy with the trailer, but lucky my tow vehicle is a transit custom so tows easily and plenty of room for spare wheels etc in the van.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Where can you get Minno Max’s as it doesn’t look like they are made anymore? Is it literally just a case of checking eBay until one pops up or is there a better site I should be looking at?