ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Tyres - Feedback and Recommendations

Strange how I don't see many people on here using slicks for track days, especially the Clio guys where you can easily fit a set of spare wheels in the boot. You can get a full set of scrubbed in 15s for less than £200 delivered, and not only is the performance better than any semi, they last longer too. I honesty couldn't go back to using semi's permanently and when I do need to use them for whatever reason they feel like road tyres in comparison.

Think there is a stigma around slicks that they will kill you if you go past the limit, this is just not true of modern slicks, they can be quite progressive. Also I know some call them cheater tyres, god knows why, probably because they haven't tried them or are scared to.

I use Hankook Ventus F200's and they are fantastic, as mentioned they make my AR1's feel like good road tyres. Also at Anglesey recently I was over 4s a lap quicker.

This is where I get mine from, and he always has loads of Hankook's in stock. Also Dunlop's and Michelin's. He always accepts offers too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...me=paultwin82&LH_PrefLoc=2&LH_ItemCondition=4

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
I'm very tempted with slicks mainly due to the cost. More worried they will rip the car apart 🤣

I'm very tempted with slicks mainly due to the cost. More worried they will rip the car apart 🤣
If your track spec with a stiff set-up, coilovers, poly bushes etc and your wheel bearings are in good condition then you'll be fine. With such a light car like a Clio, the extra load isn't to bad on components.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
You might notice a bit more pad wear running slicks, because you are able to use all of the pad's ability.

Therefore more heat will be generated, so you need your cooling on point.

Strange how I don't see many people on here using slicks for track days, especially the Clio guys where you can easily fit a set of spare wheels in the boot. You can get a full set of scrubbed in 15s for less than £200 delivered, and not only is the performance better than any semi, they last longer too. I honesty couldn't go back to using semi's permanently and when I do need to use them for whatever reason they feel like road tyres in comparison.

Think there is a stigma around slicks that they will kill you if you go past the limit, this is just not true of modern slicks, they can be quite progressive. Also I know some call them cheater tyres, god knows why, probably because they haven't tried them or are scared to.

I use Hankook Ventus F200's and they are fantastic, as mentioned they make my AR1's feel like good road tyres. Also at Anglesey recently I was over 4s a lap quicker.

This is where I get mine from, and he always has loads of Hankook's in stock. Also Dunlop's and Michelin's. He always accepts offers too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...me=paultwin82&LH_PrefLoc=2&LH_ItemCondition=4

Many thanks for waking me up! I have no problem with using slicks, just never got around to finding a source of decent used ones for the Clio!
I just put in an offer for a pair on your link, and with if it's dry I'll get to try them at Lydden on 11th September.
I can't use them in my race class, but no problem on a track day.
I'll will have to use my r888rs on the rear as they are still in good condition, and I don't have enough 15" rims.

With the Impreza at Lydden the best time on used slicks was over 1.5 seconds quicker than the best time on any semi-slick, and on a very short 45second lap that's a big difference. I wouldn't expect as much gain from the Clio, 4WD vs FWD etc, but would hope for 0.5seconds at least.

I will report back.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
As an old mans perspective,( 81 years old.) I run a R26 360 bhp. The car is quicker than my ability. In a year I will do Oulton/Anglesey/Cadwell/Spa etc.,and I have been criticised for pulling over, and letting people past, BUT, I am happy to go at a pace I am happy with, and drive the car home at the end of the day. I go with a great group of guys, and am by far, the slowest in the group.I spend a lot of time, getting a corner right, only to fail miserably, as the next corner has come up, and I get it all wrong, but who cares, I am still having a great time. The younger you are, the more...mines bigger than yours....syndrome seems to apply.I got over that, by taking up solo parachuting in my mid years. Thank god, I am well past that stage.Mid September, I am at Oulton, then Anglesey the next day, nice to be back on track again. Stay safe people.
200.gif

Many thanks for waking me up! I have no problem with using slicks, just never got around to finding a source of decent used ones for the Clio!
I just put in an offer for a pair on your link, and with if it's dry I'll get to try them at Lydden on 11th September.
I can't use them in my race class, but no problem on a track day.
I'll will have to use my r888rs on the rear as they are still in good condition, and I don't have enough 15" rims.

With the Impreza at Lydden the best time on used slicks was over 1.5 seconds quicker than the best time on any semi-slick, and on a very short 45second lap that's a big difference. I wouldn't expect as much gain from the Clio, 4WD vs FWD etc, but would hope for 0.5seconds at least.

I will report back.
Good stuff, interested to see how you find them. I always mix and match my tyres, as sometimes I can only carry 2 extra wheels. I just throw the slicks on the rear and AR1's on the front. No issues, if anything its a safe set-up as its more prone to understeer.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
True, still not found a pad that can match my slicks. Even with Carbotech RP2 I cant get the fronts to lock.

Have you tried Carbone Lorraine RC8?

A mate used them on his Megane with slicks and was able to lock the fronts, only just though.

Just so much grip on big slicks when hot.

Have you tried Carbone Lorraine RC8?

A mate used them on his Megane with slicks and was able to lock the fronts, only just though.

Just so much grip on big slicks when hot.
Think I may have tried them on my Clio, and they were brutal with semi slicks. Not even sure they make them for a MK3 MR2. So limited with brake pads.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty sure interstate are no more. I was looking into them few months back as their on the MSA tyre list and not one Id heard much about
Cam skill has good stock in 15" and they are about half the price of an R888. I nearly bought a set for a track day earlier in the year, happy I didn't because the car stopped playtime 3 laps in.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member

Apart from it probably being wise, do you have to have a cage fitted to run slicks on trackdays?

Interestingly (and probably unrelated) the only two crashes at Anglesey last Monday were cars that had just changed to slicks.

Apart from it probably being wise, do you have to have a cage fitted to run slicks on trackdays?

Interestingly (and probably unrelated) the only two crashes at Anglesey last Monday were cars that had just changed to slicks.
Think most TDO require a 4 point cage at least. Sounds like folk not giving sufficient warm up time if crashing straight after fitting slicks. They do take a lap or 2 more than semi slicks to get warm if the track is cold.

Good stuff, interested to see how you find them. I always mix and match my tyres, as sometimes I can only carry 2 extra wheels. I just throw the slicks on the rear and AR1's on the front. No issues, if anything its a safe set-up as its more prone to understeer.

I've ordered a pair of the Hankooks now, but they will probably only arrive some time next week.

This might sound like a silly question to some for a tyre with no tread, but do you know if they are directional?
Some slicks are, as I found out to my cost and some aren't.
I managed to push the metal braiding out of a slick tyre, of course I put this down to my incredibly committed driving :D but later learned that I was running the tyre in the wrong direction, which tries to force the layers apart. At least that's what I was told by some race Yodas. To be honest I never even thought of looking, but yes, there was a small rotation arrow on the sidewall. I think they were ex BTCC Dunlops, back when they were 17", but not 100% sure.

It can be an issue at Lydden if you can't swap side to side on a long trackday, as the surface is notoriously hard on tyres, and the nearside front takes serious punishment.
If they are directional I just need to have some sort of replacement option just so i don't risk cutting the day short due to tyre wear.

Many thanks

I've ordered a pair of the Hankooks now, but they will probably only arrive some time next week.

This might sound like a silly question to some for a tyre with no tread, but do you know if they are directional?
Some slicks are, as I found out to my cost and some aren't.
I managed to push the metal braiding out of a slick tyre, of course I put this down to my incredibly committed driving :D but later learned that I was running the tyre in the wrong direction, which tries to force the layers apart. At least that's what I was told by some race Yodas. To be honest I never even thought of looking, but yes, there was a small rotation arrow on the sidewall. I think they were ex BTCC Dunlops, back when they were 17", but not 100% sure.

It can be an issue at Lydden if you can't swap side to side on a long trackday, as the surface is notoriously hard on tyres, and the nearside front takes serious punishment.
If they are directional I just need to have some sort of replacement option just so i don't risk cutting the day short due to tyre wear.

Many thanks
They are indeed directional. I've actually got a single spare if required.

Many thanks for the information and the offer, much appreciated.
I have an odd mixture of rims and tyres, and apart from running different tyres front and rear I am also quite happy running different diameter wheels front and rear. Odd I know, but it works quite well. A 205/45/16 isn't much different to a 195/50/15 in rolling diameter. About 15mm I think, just doesn't work with the slightly larger diameter on the front as it messes up the rake of the car and compromises the braking a bit.

Anyway, I have 6 x 16" wheels, 4 of which have brand new Rainsport 5's fitted ready for the inevitable downpour.
2 have old Federals I generally use on the rear.
I only have 4 x 15" Tourinis, 2 of which have good R888Rs on and 2 which I will put the Slicks on.

So I think the plan for the trackday must be 15" slicks front, 15" r888rs rear to start.
If I kill the NSF slick before the end of the day it will be !5" r888rs on the front, 16" old Feds on the rear.
So I reckon I'm covered, but if the slicks work really well I see myself needing another set of 15" rims, or 16" slicks. Only time will tell.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Think most TDO require a 4 point cage at least. Sounds like folk not giving sufficient warm up time if crashing straight after fitting slicks. They do take a lap or 2 more than semi slicks to get warm if the track is cold.

No slicks for me then! Looking at Nankang AR1s once I finish off my Federal RSRs, should be a good upgrade anyway.

I have to admit I have no idea what went wrong in both cases, didn't get to speak to the guys after they got back in the paddock.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I've always thought about trying slicks, but again unsure what im buying, how long they should last, how much life they have left in them etc and I only have a rear bolt in cage, the old school MSV Caged branded jobbie, still tempted as im sure I could probably get away with them on track and they are half the price of a decent set of new semi slicks... hmmm

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Ideally need medium/hard on the front and soft on the rear of a Clio.

They take an age to warm up as well as @JB21 says. This time of year probably 2-3 laps at pace on top of a couple of laps to even warm them up so you don't cold grain them.

I've always thought about trying slicks, but again unsure what im buying, how long they should last, how much life they have left in them etc and I only have a rear bolt in cage, the old school MSV Caged branded jobbie, still tempted as im sure I could probably get away with them on track and they are half the price of a decent set of new semi slicks... hmmm
I used to have that cage in my old Clio, you'll be sound. Try the Hankook's I linked as they're a medium and don't take to long to warm up. On an average UK day say at 10-20degs a gentle warm up lap, followed by a 7-8 tenths lap and on the start of your 3rd lap they will be good to go. And they're very progressive at the limit. I bought a full set from the guy I linked and have done Oulton Twice, Three sisters once which is an absolute killer on tyres and a full day at Anglesey and they've still got a couple of days left in them. Got them for £170 delivered and cost me £40 fitted.

My MR2 below on them at the limit.

The slicks turned up a lot earlier than expected, and look in really good condition.
The only thing I should have asked was to have one from each side of the car, as they were originally run, but I got two from the same side.
As I want to use both on the front I can only spin one tyre.
It's no big deal really, but I'd normally fit them 'inside-out' to get the best wear, but I will have to fit one inside-out and one the way it was first used.

Great service and a good price so many thanks @JB21 for the link, this Forum has been so helpful over the 3 years I've owned the Clio.

Probably can't rely on the British weather quite so much, bet it pisses down on the 11th! But then hey-ho, I've got a brand new set of Rainsport 5's on 16" rims that I've never tried before, so it will be a new experience wet or dry!

IMG_20210827_123102.jpg

The slicks turned up a lot earlier than expected, and look in really good condition.
The only thing I should have asked was to have one from each side of the car, as they were originally run, but I got two from the same side.
As I want to use both on the front I can only spin one tyre.
It's no big deal really, but I'd normally fit them 'inside-out' to get the best wear, but I will have to fit one inside-out and one the way it was first used.

Great service and a good price so many thanks @JB21 for the link, this Forum has been so helpful over the 3 years I've owned the Clio.

Probably can't rely on the British weather quite so much, bet it pisses down on the 11th! But then hey-ho, I've got a brand new set of Rainsport 5's on 16" rims that I've never tried before, so it will be a new experience wet or dry!

View attachment 1554881
I've ran them non directional mate with zero issues. Cant remember if they are marked inner and outer on the sidewalls? If not than you can fit them left and right going the same direction?

YESSSSSSS!!! :D

The track day with the part worn Hankook slicks went well.

I have now updated my Lydden Hill Clio 182 tyre test as below:

New Best: Part worn Hankook Ventus Slicks on the front, used Toyo r888r on the rear 48.30
Previous
Best: New AR-1s on the front, scrubbed Ar-1s on the rear 49.288
Federal 595 RS scrubbed all round 49.317
Federal 595 RS new on front, used and 'softened' Yoko AD08 on rear 49.344
Zestinho Gredge new on front, scrubbed on rear 49.397
Toyo r888r on front, used Ar-1 on rear 49.471
Worst: Federal 595 Pro new on front, used and softened Yoko AD08 on rear 49.709

I really can't believe a pair of slicks on the front has knocked almost a full second off the laptime.
I know they were worth over a second on my Subaru, but I really didn't think the 176bhp Clio had the power too make that much out of the additional grip.

It will be interesting to see where the gain is made, so when I've had a chance to download the datalogger I'll try and post a comparo-graph of the slicks vs the best on semi-slicks

Only thing is the front left was shot after 3 sessions (45 laps), but at less than half the price of an AR-1 and the huge performance increase I can live with that.

Very happy, and once again thanks to @JB21 for the wake-up call and the link.