ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track car Attempt 2

Speedy300

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
It’s a shame the autumn/winter weather has set in, I bet the spring cant come soon enough!

Will you get this on a dyno next year?

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Yes I was after finding out more about it on track but that can be something for next year .

I may give it a go on the dyno as most of the conversion with the extras make around 195-200 BHP and around 145 LB/FT but we will see but feels quick enough even after driving my 306 BHP fiesta .

Regards

It’s a shame the autumn/winter weather has set in, I bet the spring cant come soon enough!

Will you get this on a dyno next year?

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Small update when the car went in for the engine swap I removed the new O2 sensors and have now installed them in to the new engine but the new set up only uses x 2 one pre cat and one post .

New Denso units

DN1aeaU1.jpg

CBYNMcXM.jpg

Old units

qVTWyh3r.jpg

wvKZdc8j.jpg

Just looking at the new engine and weight of the car it should now be around 211 BHP per Tonne now .

Next up will be some new lightweight wheels , Nankang AR-1 tyres , new c hook brake discs and Carbotech XP10 pads .

Then later on next year will be the roll cage , bucket seats and harnesses .

Attachments

• DN1aeaU1.jpg
    DN1aeaU1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 326
  • CBYNMcXM.jpg
    CBYNMcXM.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 281
  • qVTWyh3r.jpg
    qVTWyh3r.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 286
  • wvKZdc8j.jpg
    wvKZdc8j.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 273
  Fiesta ST Stage 3
So after packing the track car up in October last year I got round to doing a few bits and checking the car over ready to get her back on track soon .

First was to change the spark plugs that to be fair were nearly new from the engine swap but as I have them I change them anyway .

bFUBkA9I.jpg

Then as the old MAF sensor was used from the old 1ZZ engine I thought I would get a new fresh one to go along with the new O2 sensors .

w268bELd.jpg

Next up was the E-PSF that I did a quick flush and top up .

yf3MWo6d.jpg

9gup6U53.jpg

Then was on to change the gear know for a smaller nylon unit .

ArHoK0Xk.jpg

Old and new

ZhFzaLo6.jpg

Installed

OgfbZM21.jpg

Dz5xBvBL.jpg

Then was to put in some fuel system cleaner BG44K as I have used this before and rate this stuff .

zgpYdmv7.jpg

Last of all was to fit the Lotus spark plug cover .

sqnN0EKU.jpg

As the 2ZZ was never used in the MR2 when the conversion is done the coil packs and spark plugs don’t have a cover and water and get in so this will be a good little cover and looks nice too .

O1v6yPiQ.jpg

DHsz6dmV.jpg

xEksi9ap.jpg

LUMMmQ7s.jpg

Then a quick wash to finish off .

vFYcMkL8.jpg

I still need to change the oil and adjust the hand brake but she seem all good to go so all I need to do know is book some track days and enjoy as this will be the first time the car will be back on the track with the new engine and suspension set up .

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Thanks it is a fun little thing and the 2ZZ engine will give it some more pace but also revs for track and the noise is good old V-tec type :)

I really like this little car and you attention to detail as well.

Hope you enjoy it with the added power.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Another small update in getting the car ready for this year’s track season .

I thought it would be a good plan to have a TPMS so I can check pressures and temps but wanted something small that would not get in the way so I have located it at the top of the window .

FQJ79uOY.jpg

TMSdAvk2.jpg

7VikZZBW.jpg

0YtYAZYl.jpg

Next up will be an engine flush new oil and filter fresh brake fluid then book some track days .

Regards

Fiesta ST Stage 3
At the weekend I got a few more things done before getting the car back on track .

First was an engine flush and then an oil and filter change .

ZbH3I2sE.jpg

I will run this for testing the car and then look to change this out for some 05W-50 oil for the first track day as I want some more protection and the 50 grade oil will help with this .

Then as I still had some DEI gold heat tape left over I thought I would wrap the metal induction pipe to help keep the intake temps as low as possible .

OO9riZw3.jpg

P9edR2cN.jpg

Looking to book Castle Combe on the 29/03/19 or Bedford for the 30/03/19 for the first track day of this year and then go from there .

Looking forward to seeing how the car is now on track with the 2ZZ engine swap , C60 gear box swap and the Geo settings set up done as the stock car was good fun last year .

Fiesta ST Stage 3
So another weekend done and got some more bits done to the car in the form of a brake change .

First was the rear and to change the old discs for some Mtec C hook discs .

QzAw9NhQ.jpg

Then some new Yellow stuff rear pads .

dr5OEbzV.jpg

DbbfuGhR.jpg

And all fitted .

oAV0q42j.jpg

HX5fTKNA.jpg

02LQgt10.jpg

Then on to the front with the new discs .

QzAw9NhQ.jpg

At the front I will be running the stronger Blue stuff pads

YYrC9JEv.jpg

9mr4v2HH.jpg

Fitted

wYZ0gaTm.jpg

OZ32Ck38.jpg

M8sL32wb.jpg

Then to finish off some fresh Motul RBF 660

yPxTcRvC.jpg

This little lot should give a bit of an upgrade from the set up last year as I was running stock discs and yellow stuff pads front and rear and this was a great set up as the stock brakes on the MR2 roadster are one part that does not need upgrading that much as they are such strong stoppers and then add this to - 90 Kg removed from the car and the new little upgrade should do nicely on track .

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Time for another update .

I have been after a hard top for the MR2 for a bit now but wanted to do the other bits first .

First up the cost of the hard top is not cheep and they come in at around £ 500 and then another £ 200 for the fitting kit and £ 20.00 for the de mist cable so it is a £ 700 + item .

The hard top will give the car some extra structural rigidity , a weight reduction of around 10Kg from the soft top and a touch more safety ( at the end of the year the car is going in for a MSA 6 point full roll cage ) and also looks nicer I think .

One came up for sale not that far from me in a colour I was after so I picked it up last weekend .

tTG7vGDI.jpg

Then yesterday I started to prep the hard top to remove some weight from it so removed the headlining plastic housings and other bits .

4fFGyxYV.jpg

XljbV3Lp.jpg

Then a quick spray of satin black to tidy it up a bit .

rdEvpOeZ.jpg

Then it was on to remove the soft top .

LUSFJ65N.jpg

z4Y3jQux.jpg

uN7aKiYt.jpg

a3PorwHC.jpg

If you are keeping the stock seat belts you need to do a bit of cutting to keep the seat belt mounting points and cross bar .

I also jut some of the soft top fixing mounts from the cross brace and gave it a quick spray again to tidy it up a bit after the cutting .

nHWl8vLt.jpg

dgTu0KDA.jpg

Then to install and bolt down the hard top super tight .

KkDDZtXA.jpg

quIP1vem.jpg

And installed

xG1rz3hi.jpg

zmIXGmTo.jpg

ceA7D4En.jpg

gI3N5NI7.jpg

And as I had some time left I gave the brake calipers a quick tidy up and paint .

zZHjBCNI.jpg

UkzZQTY5.jpg

krGScNh1.jpg

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Just booked the first track day of the year at Bedford autodrome on the Saturday 30/03/19 as it is one track that I have wanted to do and will be a good place to start the year off and get a feel for the car in its new set up .

OytqSyjw.jpg

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Thanks it really has and i have had fun getting it to this stage now all be it my bank account has taken a pounding :)

Will post up some vids after Bedford and try not to bin it on my first lap .

Great progress, Looking forward to the track day review after Bedford. It's come on a fair bit since you bought it.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
As I had a day off yesterday I got round to yet another upgrade in the form of wheels and tyres .

I have planed to run two sets of wheels this year one dry set and one wet / road driving set and was looking at used Toyota wheels in the face lift staggered format 15 front 16 rear .

After not getting much luck finding a used set of Toyota Mr2 face lift wheels I was looking at pre face lift wheels that are 15 front and 15 rear but the max rear tyre size you can run in the compound I want is 205/45/15 not the 225/45/16 im running at the moment .

The other more expensive option was to get some new wheels so I started looking in to this and as the car is all about low weight the OZ Ultraleggera were looking good .

As the stock Mr2 wheels are light anyway you are never going to save loads of weight but every little helps .

I went for the OZ Ultraleggera in matt black and for 15 inch all round with a 7 inch width so I can still run the 195/50/15 front 225/45/15 rear tyres .

New 15 inch OZ Ultraleggera

Zvj84Jx6.jpg

56sJ0vur.jpg

oOrjlhIy.jpg

ASVzM3LI.jpg

And the tyres are Nankang AR-1 in 195/50/15 front and 225/45/15 rear

3uPwWrK5.jpg

GpX21jtg.jpg

GXmJhUDB.jpg

6DOF0pem.jpg

l4wnkNQC.jpg

And light weight alloy wheel nuts

EYz4F1jo.jpg

Old and new nut

y8Ea1mZ7.jpg

Then to see what the difference is in weight

Old Toyota nut

olasIZEf.jpg

Light weight nut

o8hueVeO.jpg

Front 15 inch Mr2 FL wheel

fMHWlVv2.jpg

Front 15 inch OZ Ultraleggera

KDKaBFey.jpg

Rear 16 inch Mr2 FL wheel

uboBsU71.jpg

Rear 15 inch OZ Ultraleggera

RKSDsHCF.jpg

Adding the numbers this should reduce the un sprung weight by 11 Kg and I can still keep the tyre size I want on the second set of wheels .

Then fitting them to the car .

a7FAMvPG.jpg

E1aVazWL.jpg

HNdh20Du.jpg

UjLyb5AH.jpg

viHBjab6.jpg

1MjihCL2.jpg

Wheels and tyres look good. Once out on track keep an eye out for those tapered wheel nuts coming lose due to the paint on the new wheels. I very nearly lost a wheel on the Celica 190 because of this.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Wheels and tyres look good. Once out on track keep an eye out for those tapered wheel nuts coming lose due to the paint on the new wheels. I very nearly lost a wheel on the Celica 190 because of this.

The tapers are bare metal on the new wheels mate.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Good tyre for the money.

They were £ 474 all in so not too bad .

Should be loads better than the Nankang NS2R 180 for grip .

Good shout that I did not even think about this and will check .

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Looking on point. Semi slicks are heavy though! My full slicks on superleggera weigh in at 11kg a corner

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I does look very nice but looks are not on the top of the list and im sure they will get banged up on track :)

Next I have a custom exhaust being made for me now then 6 point roll cage , bucket seats and harness .

It did start off as a cheep track car but I think I have got a bit carried away .

Looks fantastic on those wheels, keep up the good work.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
In the right hands its around BMW M4 pace on track I am told but sadly I will be driving it so might be more like Nissan micra pace .

I cant wait till the 30/03/19 and will try not to bin it on the first lap .

Still think I should have kept it stock until I had done more than 3 track days but it should all be fun learning :)

Looking forward to seeing this out on track driven in anger. Should surprise some much higher spec machinery.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Another small update .

With running a 15 inch on the rear and a 16 inch for a wet set up I have adjusted the rear coilovers to cope with the two wheels sets .

Dry set up at the rear with the 15 inch wheel

TMNKFRUD.jpg

Wet set up / road driving at the rear with the 16 inch wheel

6XmsX9Ck.jpg

The fronts are set to there max but as there is so little weight in the front this is them at max that is spot on for me I think .

dUkOO6Fg.jpg

And how the car is sitting on the dry set up now .

lgAvSu57.jpg

Also gave the rear a quick tidy up and spray in Toyota Red .

Old

KkDDZtXA.jpg

New

ya7q7Ygr.jpg

Rb 182
New wheels look excellent as I’ve said previously.

I managed a good 5 or 10 mins up at Knockhill on Sunday (see @DJW John’s thread for more on this)

But i did manage a pic of another Mk3 Mr2. Seen it around previously and goes well with the same engine as yours.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
New wheels look excellent as I’ve said previously.

I managed a good 5 or 10 mins up at Knockhill on Sunday (see @DJW John’s thread for more on this)

But i did manage a pic of another Mk3 Mr2. Seen it around previously and goes well with the same engine as yours.

View attachment 1409025View attachment 1409026

Looks good I think they are at a price where you will see more of them on track now .

I passed him like he was stood still so I guess he was on a warm up or something. Shame, would've liked to compare.

Or you know, just do more laps...

Every Clio I have seen on track is f*cking rapid so will be good to see how I get on now .

Fiesta ST Stage 3
At the weekend i did some last bits before the first track day of the year at Bedford next Saturday .

First was to change the oil again for some 15W-50 grade .

hyEVZhBV.jpg

Then to change , flush and bleed the brakes with some Motul 660 fluid .

S6AJoPsz.jpg

Old brake fluid

UzfZKwa5.jpg

Then to change the shift bushing from the speed source solid brass units to some bearing units

KQACzyaO.jpg

ThplN3vP.jpg

dqccP1oB.jpg

Then to finish off i installed my door bushing units .

They are from the USA and act the same like on the MX5 to increase chassis rigidity by connecting the door to the frame

OMqW5Dhi.jpg

sd83As37.jpg

lc8D2Ia5.jpg

aUIMgUu3.jpg

Then a quick shake down drive to check everything is ok .

Vid is a bit bumpy as the go pro is mounted to the rear bar and the whole car shakes with the solid engine mounts .

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I was looking at lightweight bonnets but as the stock front and rear bonnet are all ready very light weight there was not much of a weight saving to be had and they are not cheep to buy .

Looking at the stock units there is some webbing that can be removed to save a few Kg .

Rear engine bonnet stock

bgOQ554t.jpg

Removed metal webbing

WKNo68K4.jpg

Rear engine bonnet now

Ua3Is97z.jpg

Front bonnet stock

dPLU1iaY.jpg

Removed metal webbing

BCqECm4L.jpg

Front engine bonnet now

wLy6pFNL.jpg

Only around a couple of Kg but every little helps .

Just looking at the stock weight of the car in pre face lift this was 975 Kg from Toyota .

My face lift that has the 6 speed bigger rear wheels and more bracing but no A/C is around 1000 Kg give or take .

Below is what has been removed from the car and im sure i have missed a few bits off but is just a rough guide as most bits i did weigh but some will be more and some will be less .

So the car should now be around the 879 Kg mark give or take .

WEIGHT REDUCTION

SPARE WHEEL 12KG
SPARE WHEEL BIN AND LID 5KG
TOOL KIT 3KG
REAR STORAGE BINS 6KG
FLOOR MATS 2KG
WIND DEFLECTOR 1KG
EXHAUST HEAT SHIELD 1KG
EXHAUST SPLASH BOTTOM SHIELD 1KG
FOG LIGHTS 1KG
OLD EXHAUST MANIFOLD WITH PRE CATS FOR NEW 3KG
MANIFOLD HEAT SHIELD 1KG
OLD STOCK CAT AND DOWN PIPE FOR NEW 6KG
OLD EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR NEW 4KG
REAR STORAGE SOUND COVER 2KG
AERIAL 2KG
ALARM 0.5KG
ASHTRAY 0.5KG
BRACKETS 0.5KG
AIR BAG SENSOR & MODULE 1.5KG
SOUND TAR 5KG
ECU PLATE 1KG
STUFFING FOOT WELL 1KG
MANIFOLD BRACKET 3KG
STRUT BRACE PLATES F / R 1KG
REAR BUMPER BAR 1KG
DRIVER AND PASSENGER AIR BAG 7KG
LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEEL 5KG
RACE BATTERY 8KG
FRONT ARCH LINERS 0.5KG
LATCH BRACKET 1KG
FRONT SOUND RUBBER 1.5KG
AIR SCOOP & BRACKET 1KG
ENGINE LID SENSOR BRACKET 0.5KG
OEM AIR BOX + BRACKET FOR NEW 2.5KG
OEM WHEELS FOR OZ ULTRALEGGERA 9.5KG
LIGHTWEIGHT WHEEL NUTS 1KG
OEM SOFT TOP FOR OEM STRIPED OEM HARD TOP 12.5KG
CHARCOAL CANISTER AND PIPEWORK 2KG
BRAKE DUST COVERS 0.5KG
EXHAUST HANGER 0.5KG
HORN 1KG
FRONT & REAR BONNET WEBBING 2KG

TOTAL WEIGHT REMOVED 121KG

Fiesta ST Stage 3
On Saturday i had my first track day of the year at Bedford GT track .

The car drove spot on and we had a great day .

There were some really nice cars and very friendly people and the weather was great nice and warm and dry and sunny .

Noise test was done and was ok at 95 DB

KjVub7Sw.jpg

Random pics from the day .

R5LHnsVC.jpg

xOfeMGg6.jpg

rSeWew2Y.jpg

J9xV7TBC.jpg

PbznSH7a.jpg

A2T47CgG.jpg

bTk7JCa4.jpg

We did some sighting laps then a few sessions each then went for lunch at the Fox and hounds pub .

We came back and did a few more sessions before we called it a day at 4.00 PM for the 3 hour drive back home .

The car drove spot on and the Nankang AR-1 tyres were amazing

hg0o5jLG.jpg

o4xi0nDK.jpg

The only bad part was that the Go Pro did not seem to record that well and only recorded one session in the morning so is missing the out braking and back end stepping out at hangar hairpin .