ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TomoTek - 182 Track Build here we come!...

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Here’s a few more pics of the day.

bd587501c551f281ac92ba774ab0f1dc.jpg

4be29fb46cea0149a4f7c60b14defefb.jpg

fcb5874efcabcbd1282845b04ae257df.jpg

a9750e909ecb674c0ac841875877b17b.jpg

3c340bc7bcfce64a9f4e59a4b19e4ccf.jpg

Even took the missus out for a few laps!.. she loved it.

7e123d826c50c8b864a2554a9c55a967.jpg

getikte

ClioSport Club Member
What sort of geo are you running mate? having serious tyre wear issues and some poor under steer at the moment.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Tomo what sort of brake cooling are you running? Can't tell from the pics, although im not sure I can see any ducting anyway?

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Tomo what sort of brake cooling are you running? Can't tell from the pics, although im not sure I can see any ducting anyway?

Hi, Just removed the inner arches and opened the fog light holes, thats it, no ducting. CL RC6 pads with HC discs. Don't really have any issues with brakes. We'll probably sort some ducting out before next year though so we can control the temps a bit better, blanking off when cold etc.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
What sort of geo are you running mate? having serious tyre wear issues and some poor under steer at the moment.

Hi, camber about -3 deg front, -1deg rear. Toe 2mm toe out front 0mm at rear .. changes from circuit to circuit tho, and will be different for every car depending on spec.

what dampers do you have? spring rates?.. how is the tyre wearing?, whats your RH? car weight?.. lots of inputs to consider.

getikte

ClioSport Club Member
Hi, camber about -3 deg front, -1deg rear. Toe 2mm toe out front 0mm at rear .. changes from circuit to circuit tho, and will be different for every car depending on spec.

what dampers do you have? spring rates?.. how is the tyre wearing?, whats your RH? car weight?.. lots of inputs to consider.

Pretty similar to the spec i was running, ring rates 10kg/8kg. Slicks seem to be tearing up in the middle of the tyre. Its been ages since ive measured ride height. Car weight 950kg without a driver... really need it properly set up

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty similar to the spec i was running, ring rates 10kg/8kg. Slicks seem to be tearing up in the middle of the tyre. Its been ages since ive measured ride height. Car weight 950kg without a driver... really need it properly set up

Do you take tyre temp readings when you come in from a stint? That will help massively to figure out your issues.. if it’s the middle of the tyre that’s tearing up you could be over pressuring the tyres.. what pressure do you run?..

getikte

ClioSport Club Member
Do you take tyre temp readings when you come in from a stint? That will help massively to figure out your issues.. if it’s the middle of the tyre that’s tearing up you could be over pressuring the tyres.. what pressure do you run?..

Yep always check the pressures, try to keep them at 27psi hot

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
@Tomotek Hey could you let me know where you got the anti chaffing rubber for the lines?

Hi mate, I can’t remember exactly where the rubber came from, I know I used one of the old hoses I pulled off the car though, maybe a washer jet hose, it’s been that long.. you could just get some rubber tubing from eBay with an ID that matches the Brake line OD cheap enough [emoji1360]

Hi mate, I can’t remember exactly where the rubber came from, I know I used one of the old hoses I pulled off the car though, maybe a washer jet hose, it’s been that long.. you could just get some rubber tubing from eBay with an ID that matches the Brake line OD cheap enough [emoji1360]

Thanks, Ive just ordered some! I have some of that hose I could use as well but maybe its too small for the braided line..

E46 M3
Ive just read through the whole build. really good work!

can I ask how you managed to sort out removing the abs with your electrics? From what I understand removing the abs unit throws up all sorts of ecu errors? is your dash like a Christmas tree now or did you manage to do some wizardry to sort it out? Also, how do you pick up a speedo reading to your dials?

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Ive just read through the whole build. really good work!

can I ask how you managed to sort out removing the abs with your electrics? From what I understand removing the abs unit throws up all sorts of ecu errors? is your dash like a Christmas tree now or did you manage to do some wizardry to sort it out? Also, how do you pick up a speedo reading to your dials?

Hi there... thanks, it’s been a long build but enjoyed every minute!..

Your right the dash is like a Christmas tree now!, we only use it for the Rev counter and fuel level really, so not an issue for track only.. plan is to replace the dash with a digital stand alone dash when we race next year, then we’ll plug the rear wheel speed sensors into that (for pitlane speed) don’t have the speedo working at the minute, not needed on track.. if you use the JC5 gearbox with the internal speedo drive you can get speedo back that way, I think you have to run a compatible dash tho (not looked into it too much as haven’t needed to)... are you planning on ABS delete on your car? Still used on road?

I dont know much about wiring/electrics but in my 182 I removed the abs and used a 172 cup forward loom which cleared all the lights. Something to do with the pin outs I have no idea but it worked!

E46 M3
I dont know much about wiring/electrics but in my 182 I removed the abs and used a 172 cup forward loom which cleared all the lights. Something to do with the pin outs I have no idea but it worked!

Interesting - just 172 loom with the standard 182 ecu? Did you need a gearbox with the speedo drive to pick up speed or did you do something with a sensor off the abs rings?

E46 M3
Hi there... thanks, it’s been a long build but enjoyed every minute!..

Your right the dash is like a Christmas tree now!, we only use it for the Rev counter and fuel level really, so not an issue for track only.. plan is to replace the dash with a digital stand alone dash when we race next year, then we’ll plug the rear wheel speed sensors into that (for pitlane speed) don’t have the speedo working at the minute, not needed on track.. if you use the JC5 gearbox with the internal speedo drive you can get speedo back that way, I think you have to run a compatible dash tho (not looked into it too much as haven’t needed to)... are you planning on ABS delete on your car? Still used on road?

I’m just trying to figure out how I can get rid of abs and retain the functioning dials with no error lights. It must be possible but there does t seem to be much info out there!

Car is going to be for track mainly but would like to keep it road legal if possible to drive to/from.

Interesting - just 172 loom with the standard 182 ecu? Did you need a gearbox with the speedo drive to pick up speed or did you do something with a sensor off the abs rings?

Standard ecu, I bought a cup one but it was the same. Purely just the the forward loom is required. You could use a cup gearbox jc5-129 and youd need the engine loom as well to retain speed and mileage.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Just caught up on your thread mate.
When I have time I have been meaning to catch up on all the build threads similar to mine.

Looks like you have had a great year testing, all set for racing next year?

The door pulls look lovely, great idea and execution... I think I may need to approach it that way as I seem to have lost my R-sport handle spacers.
Also great to hear/see the diff addition went well. Assembly looks mental, wouldn't know where to start personally.

Have just noticed you are based in/near Warwick. It looks like we may be relocating that way in the new year, not 100% sure where yet but somewhere in-between Coventry, Birmingham and Warwick.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Just caught up on your thread mate.
When I have time I have been meaning to catch up on all the build threads similar to mine.

Hi mate!, thanks for reading through, been keeping an eye on yours too [emoji1362] ..

Yeah it really was a good year, managed to do everything we set out to do and more. Car performed great.. we mainly wanted to learn the tracks and the car before we’re surrounded by cars fighting for the same piece of the track

Pretty much set for racing now, already registered for the championship, so it’s very real now!.. going to do some general maintenance over winter and prepare all our equipment

Door pulls worked a treat yeah, after some head scratching.

Yeah I’m based near Gaydon so not far from Warwick.. you’ll have to let me know when you move down, more than welcome to pop over and have a look, I’ll be taking ideas from your build too I’m sure [emoji6]

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate!, thanks for reading through, been keeping an eye on yours too [emoji1362] ..
Yeah it really was a good year, managed to do everything we set out to do and more. Car performed great.. we mainly wanted to learn the tracks and the car before we’re surrounded by cars fighting for the same piece of the track
Pretty much set for racing now, already registered for the championship, so it’s very real now!.. going to do some general maintenance over winter and prepare all our equipment
Door pulls worked a treat yeah, after some head scratching.
Yeah I’m based near Gaydon so not far from Warwick.. you’ll have to let me know when you move down, more than welcome to pop over and have a look, I’ll be taking ideas from your build too I’m sure [emoji6]

Sounds good for next year, what championship have you entered?
Will do, will probably be the end of January, let me know if you are at Simply Race again soon, its just round the corner

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds good for next year, what championship have you entered?
Will do, will probably be the end of January, let me know if you are at Simply Race again soon, its just round the corner

We’ve entered the Trackday Championship (TDC)

It’s 30-minute qualifying 45-minute races

Mandatory 2-minute pitstop for driver change (can have 1 driver cars tho)

They have just announced the provisional calendar

a47999b06a0d0302fdd788635940063b.jpg

The TBC round looks to be Zandvoort again

Will do, haven’t been for a while since the championship ended, no doubt pop over with the lads at some point.. I’ll let you know [emoji1360]

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Might bob over to Donington when this is on, April’s a while away so I’ll set a reminder

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
As if I wasn’t busy enough with the Clio, I’ve decided to help a mate out who’s bought a part finished Peugeot 205 Rally car project.. there are a lot of bits to fix and finish

I popped over to pick it up and bring it to the garage

6b23e29b05b05116eea0adcbc0a88947.jpg

Great motor, pulled from his last rally car (Peugeot 306 maxi) which was built by one of our other friends @coderallying

ee7603029fe33a2d4cd911251f793027.jpg

First job was get the seats and side mounts modified and fitted, matched with some OMP 6 point harnesses

315d37cf10d8de6b1a5fbd76bab3827a.jpg

Then I started on the electrics.. the current loom was half finished, and a bit of a mess really, it was a lot of different looms spliced together

19a492b861ec329f43b3f2f440287220.jpg

I took from it what I could and started to fit the battery and make up all the power cables

60dd59dad0a4b365e16bf3bd9683b5a8.jpg

be975e84d68485c6fe85fdf10183fafe.jpg

2ef60c98ceb132381c5cdaef0f872361.jpg

Then I fitted the stand alone ECU, main fuse and relay box to the bulkhead (re positioned the brake line and extinguisher line to sit everything neatly)

0ee47829ae16abb9e93099e6a7edc197.jpg

Then stood back to admire the view
Garage is very French right now!

57fd43e62c098b514871fcae679db0ee.jpg

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
As if I wasn’t busy enough with the Clio, I’ve decided to help a mate out who’s bought a part finished Peugeot 205 Rally car project.. there are a lot of bits to fix and finish

I popped over to pick it up and bring it to the garage

View attachment 1396859

Great motor, pulled from his last rally car (Peugeot 306 maxi) which was built by one of our other friends @coderallying

View attachment 1396860

First job was get the seats and side mounts modified and fitted, matched with some OMP 6 point harnesses

View attachment 1396861

Then I started on the electrics.. the current loom was half finished, and a bit of a mess really, it was a lot of different looms spliced together

View attachment 1396862

I took from it what I could and started to fit the battery and make up all the power cables

View attachment 1396863

View attachment 1396864

View attachment 1396865

Then I fitted the stand alone ECU, main fuse and relay box to the bulkhead (re positioned the brake line and extinguisher line to sit everything neatly)

View attachment 1396866

Then stood back to admire the view
Garage is very French right now!

View attachment 1396867
Be interested to see how you wite your kill switches in mate? Do you just run a positive from main battery to a 60amp mega fuse, then onto kill switch.

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Be interested to see how you wite your kill switches in mate? Do you just run a positive from main battery to a 60amp mega fuse, then onto kill switch.

Hi mate.. yeah we have run a cable from the battery to the main fuse (175amp) then from the main fuse to the kill switch, then on to the starter motor and alternator.. the cable size is 25mm2 rated at 170amps.. this rating is constant and can manage a higher spike.. that’s when the main fuse comes in at slightly above the 170amps .. the feed to the fuse/relay box is then taken through a smaller fuse and smaller diameter wire as the ampage to all the ancillaries is much less.

Clio 182 Trophy

Steering column/boss/quick release were next on the agenda.
I started out by cutting down the column/bulkhead, bearing/seal (it has a large flange for mounting to the sound deadening) You can just see the faint outline of where I cut it half way down the shaft.

View attachment 1297024

I then installed the column and mount with the rubber seal into the bulkhead. Seen from both sides below.

View attachment 1297025View attachment 1297026

Next the seat and harnesses were fitted so that I could set the height for the column/steering wheel.
Both myself and @Jenbo sat in the car and as we are the same height, the final height worked for both of us.

View attachment 1297027

Column clamp was set and tightened up onto the cage.

View attachment 1297028

The longace wide angle mirror was also fitted to the cage, along with the custom shifter arm and rubber boot.
The steering wheel boss boot and steering wheel was also fitted.

Looking more like the office we wanted now ;)

View attachment 1297029

Fantastic build thread mate. Attention to detail is second to none!

Loving the switch panel/gear shifter idea, how did you go about extending the linkage rod to move the shifter back and how did you go about increasing the height of the shifter without adding more throw? Or is that just the standard height of the PMS shifter?

Don't suppose you could knock up a second version of the setup for some cash? ?

Cheers,
Steve

Clio 182 Trophy
Actually just found the extensive update you done on the shifter. Didn't read far back enough (yes I read it back to front haha)

However, the question still stands about knocking another one up ?

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Actually just found the extensive update you done on the shifter. Didn't read far back enough (yes I read it back to front haha)

However, the question still stands about knocking another one up ?

Hi Steve, as you read, its a fully bespoke system with a reduced throw (enabled by moving the pivot point, and extensive mods to the tunnel area) but the end position is so worth it.. sitting so far back with a higher shifter is so nice!

I am working on a more customer friendly version which I intend to make at some point next year if there is enough interest. Next year is looking incredibly busy though, so not sure on time frame at the minute. I'll keep you in the loop!

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Excited to announce @Jenbo and I have now registered for the 2019 Trackday Championship (TDC) .. here’s a summary we’ve put together about the championship!

7f5862c94a501667bb79963dfad37e09.jpg

Now to get prepared and smash next season!.. might have to do a few other races too to make sure we can get enough signatures to upgrade to a Nat A licence in time to compete at Zandvoort

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Looking forward to seeing how this goes for you both As said, I will try and get to Donington to show some love.