ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To gap or not to gap (question to the welders)

Which is better for structural strength? With the gap, I can weld the inner sleeve as well, but there is more room between the cage tubes. Without the gap, the cage tubes are closer together, but penetration to the inner sleeve is harder.
The holes are there to connect the cage to the sleeves.

360.jpg

360.jpg

Please let me know what you think.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Slight gap surely? You're penetrating the inner tube, but also building onto the exterior. Weld will be strong than the surrounding steel

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
No gap but bevel at 45. When welding 2 bits together, gap in between is usually a sign of bad fitment. It can be filled ofcourse but flush fitment is preferred. With correct settings even with out bevel, weld should have enough penetration anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reactions guys. Bevelling sounds like the right thing to do, albeit that the cage is already in the car with the inner sleeves tacked in. I also do not want to make a cut in the inner sleeve to keep that one as strong as possible.
I will make a couple of test welds to see what's best, before I start welding on the car.

406 V6, Race Buggy
Should be about right, you want the gap for complete penetration into the sleeve at the right power setting for joining the two outer tubes. Otherwise you have to run far too hot and end up with a big slug of material on the outside.